Everly (2015)

mpm74

Wanna see Salma Hayek kick some Yakuza ass? Well, so do we, which is why we can’t wait for her upcoming action-thriller called Everly, from cult director Joe Lynch (Wrong Turn 2: Dead End).

Everly is an action/thriller centered on a woman (Hayek) who faces down Japanese assassins sent by her ex, a mob boss, while holed up in her apartment.

Everly features action sequences staged by Akihiro “Yuji” Noguchi (Black Belt). The film also stars Jennifer Blanc, Togo Igawa (47 Ronin), Caroline Chikezie, Masashi Fujimoto (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance) and Hiroyuki Watanabe (Karate-Robo Zaborgar).

The film will be released by way of VOD on January 23, then theatrically, on February 27.

everly-poster.jpg

gyChiG18Qxg

• Like 1

I don't cate what anyone says about this movie.. This looks bad ass! The plot is most likely non existent, but it looks like it's going to be jam packed with action and a mindless good time a guilty pleasure movie and I'm alllll in

• Like 1

Sooo glad they had this tailed come out second. If this one came out first, i would have zero interest In it. Still think this can be a quilts pleasure fun movie

• Like 1

It's a good film, and Hayek is excellent in it.

She gives a great central performance, both vulnerable and physical (I only noticed 2 instances where she was doubled).

It's a visually inventive, surprising, tense, absurd flick with few slow spots.

I've read that some have said the film is misogynistic, and its true that it does fall into the old trope of using rape as a plot device, and although I dont think the film is, filmmakers need to stop that shit.

Come on, guys.

But yeah, still worth a watch. Maybe she can team up with John Wick in a sequel or something.

• Like 1

It's a good film, and Hayek is excellent in it.

She gives a great central performance, both vulnerable and physical (I only noticed 2 instances where she was doubled).

It's a visually inventive, surprising, tense, absurd flick with few slow spots.

I've read that some have said the film is misogynistic, and its true that it does fall into the old trope of using rape as a plot device, and although I dont think the film is, filmmakers need to stop that shit.

Come on, guys.

But yeah, still worth a watch. Maybe she can team up with John Wick in a sequel or something.

Karlos.... that's a great capsule review and you've definitely sold me. I might check it out tonight. :)

• Like 1

Van Damme On Demand.

jk it stands for Video On Demand.

Lol! Reminds me of the latest workaholics episode "let's film a movie about Jean-Claude taking a road trip.. We can call it Jean-Claude's Damn Van" lol anyway.. If I wanted to VOD this movie where do I have to go to rent it?

• Like 1

Lol! Reminds me of the latest workaholics episode "let's film a movie about Jean-Claude taking a road trip.. We can call it Jean-Claude's Damn Van" lol anyway.. If I wanted to VOD this movie where do I have to go to rent it?

Amazon has it. So does iTunes.

• Like 1

Just watched it. The acting was cheesy as hell, but when a movie can make you say "holly shit" more than a few times. I'd consider it an enjoyment. I deff had a fun time watching it.

• Like 1

Despite all the negative comments all over the internet ( not here) I really enjoyed this...

Its a totally over the top action flick...set more or less in just one apartment but it works..we get to see a very high body count and loads of blood....

some funny scenes too... I liked when she said to the dog of the yakuza "get the ball"--- when the ball is actually a hand grenade :wink::bigsmile:

• Like 1

Despite all the negative comments all over the internet ( not here) I really enjoyed this...

Its a totally over the top action flick...set more or less in just one apartment but it works..we get to see a very high body count and loads of blood....

some funny scenes too... I liked when she said to the dog of the yakuza "get the ball"--- when the ball is actually a hand grenade :wink::bigsmile:

My expectations were seriously low, but I enjoyed it too. Heck, I might like this movie more than John Wick. And yes, that "get the ball" part was awesome. And Salma Hayek is at her best performance-wise (and visually.... she's the sexiest 48 year old in the world).

• Like 2

I get the distinct impression norms won't dig this, but us genre geeks will.

I get the same feeling, which is why I'm probably gonna watch it tonight.

• Like 1

Lousy and pretentious piece of high concept film. First of all it's not an action movie. It has two, maybe three fairly solid if small-ish shootouts but that's it. The rest of the time you have to endure horrible dialogues, whiny fake drama, an unpleasant whiff of sexism and some borderline HOSTEL-stuff. I'd rather compare it to RAZE than to JOHN WICK or TAKEN. But to be fair: Salma Hayek looks stunning even if her character limits her to thankless overacting.

• Like 1

I'm only 5 years late, but somehow this movie went completely under my radar. Just watched it on tubi

Interesting American take on Japanese torture films. I thought it had a very Miike vibe to it. Not a good movie by any means and definitely not for everyone, but I'm sure it found it's fan base.

Salma Hayek as a deadly femme fatale, gore, torture, shootouts and a lot of dead whores.

• Like 4

On 8/31/2020 at 9:09 PM, D1 Ma said:

Interesting American take on Japanese torture films. I thought it had a very Miike vibe to it. Not a good movie by any means and definitely not for everyone, but I'm sure it found it's fan base.

Interesting you said that because a few years ago, I talked to Joe Lynch, the writer and director of the film and he said the movie is his love letter to Japanese action cinema, notably Miike. It was during my interview with him for Mayhem.

• Like 5

I found this for sale at a failing video store this past weekend and thought about picking it up. I was under the impression that it was 90 minutes of of near-naked Salma Hayek shooting people. But I guess there's a lot more mean-spirited torture than that?

• Like 2

On 1/26/2015 at 4:23 AM, mpm74 said:

(and visually.... she's the sexiest 48 year old in the world).

She's now the sexiest 54-year-old in the world.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DrNgor said:

She's now the sexiest 54-year-old in the world.

Damn. Time flies! How dare you bring this thread back to life just to remind us all of how old we are. ;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2