Big roles for Lau Kar Wing?

paimeifist

What are some big roles for Lau Kar Wing? He is one of my favorite screen fighters but he always seems to get small roles as the lead villain at best (in which he generally steals the show).

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other than the obvious Lau family affairs?

His trilogy with Karl Maka – The Good, the Bad and the Loser; Dirty Tiger, Crazy Frog; His Name Is Nobody – are what you're looking for, all starring roles, depending on your tolerance for Cantonese Comedy. Still, underrated films, despite probably starting the whole Kung-Fu Comedy wave.

I enjoy Canto comedy for the most part.

Yes, besides the obvious Lau family affairs. Thanks Bishop! I haven't seen any of the three you listed so I have a good start!

Morgoth Bauglir

Inheritor is ok. You can get it on the Videoasia Lau Family collection with His Name is Nobody, another one that is very debatable whether it is good or not. I liked it. Dean Shek is good so that was a surprise. It also comes with Odd Couple where Lau has a really good role. I think you've seen Knockabout, and his snake pipe style makes a return in Dirty Kung Fu. But IIRC it's just a small role. The snake pipe fist, does it get any better than that?

Inheritor of Kung Fu aka Two Graves of Kung Fu is a lot like one of those Li Jun Kung flicks from the same era; Thunderkick, The Chinese Tiger, etc.

eITw3BqYHb4

theres another modern era type flick called "the chase" from the late 70s or early 80s...not much kung fu in it..action comedy in the style of aces go places

Killer Meteor
Inheritor of Kung Fu aka Two Graves of Kung Fu is a lot like one of those Li Jun Kung flicks from the same era; Thunderkick, The Chinese Tiger, etc.

eITw3BqYHb4

Nice clip. Proof that any movie can be made better with Pink Floyd's "Echoes."

He also has a pretty large supporting role in "Fists and Guts" (which her directed) but it's largely comical and much of the fighting is left to Gordon Liu.

He also has a pretty large supporting role in "Fists and Guts" (which her directed) but it's largely comical and much of the fighting is left to Gordon Liu.

Just got this one in the mail... Will be watching it this evening.

Morgoth Bauglir

There's also Kung on the Bosphorus, re-edited and re-titled Ninja Killer. Lau stars alongside some Turkish guy. Not a complete waste of time, but not recommended. Also keep Skinny Tiger Fatty Dragon on your radar. Sort of a modern sequel to Enter the Fat Dragon and Lau plays the villain.

LKW as villain = win. Knockabout and Shaolin Mantis are the two movies that really made me start paying attention to him as a screen fighter.

It sounds like the Lau Family MA essentials is a good place to start.

Archived