UNRELEASED as of 2014

shaolinkng7

I am trying to make a list of all the movies that American DVD companies are hogging the rights to without any plans of releasing them.

The most obvious would be the Weinstein's Dragon Dynasty. When the Weinsteins ran Miramax they acquired the rights to many Hong Kong action films and either shelved the film for years, or waited until the rights lapsed without so much as a home video release. I suppose we should be happy that Dragon Dynasty released as many Shaw Brothers films as they did, before thinking the rest would look pretty decorating the shelves of their private vaults. The unreleased Dragon Dynasty films I know of are:

7 Man Army, Angry Guest, Behind the Yellow Line, Boxer from Shantung, Boxer Rebellion, Buddha's Palm, Clan of the White Lotus, Crazy Shaolin Disciples, Dirty Ho, Hero, Justice, My Foot!, Look Out, Officer!, Love in a Fallen City, Man of Iron, Monkey Kung Fu, Out of the Dark, Painted Faces, Shaolin Temple, Starry Is the Night, The Anonymous Heroes, The Chinese Boxer, The Flying Dagger, The Invincible Fist, The Kung-Fu Instructor, The Mad Monk, The New One-Armed Swordsman, The Savage Five, The Shaolin Avengers, and Vengeance

I know of at least two titles that Media Blasters went as far as the Amazon pre-order before pulling from release. The Magnificent Ruffians and Brave Archer 2. Are they hoarding any more?

Image said that they had the rights to 30 Shaw Brother movies. And they did release 30 Shaw Brother movies. But they also said they were going to release Big Brother Cheng, Hex and Monkey Go West, none of which were in their 30 releases. WTFH? Were they premoting films they did not have the rights to yet, and ended up never getting the rights to? Or was it a case of them not being happy with the films and asking for a substitute from Celestial?

And does anyone know if the rights to one of my favorite Shaw Brothers films, The Delinquent aka Street Gangs of Hong Kong, was ever picked up by an American company ( or perhaps it was not one of the films Celestial restored?? )

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think shaolinkng7's talking about about the SB movies that haven't been released in the U.S. All of the movies listed in the first post have had a DVD release of some sort, just not here (at least not legally). It's a shame too. There are so many classics that still await a (legal) DVD release in the States. Oh well. I still have Chinatown for my imported VCD needs. :nerd:

Archived