Info Wanted On Billy Chong DVD's

KenHashibe

While looking online for a good DVD for A Fist Full of Talons, I stumbled upon this DVD (which also includes Drunken Tai Chi):

51s8MmaLJrL.jpg

Sure the cover looks terrible, but I noticed that on the back cover, it says that the running time for A Fist Full is 89 minutes which is the length of the extended Chinese version (as opposed to the 82 minute US cut). Does anyone own this DVD and can verify which version it is? Chances are high that this is a typo and it's the English cut version, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Also, is either movie in widescreen?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you ThunderScore for the info, but I'm still wondering which are the best DVD releases for A Fist Full and Crystal Fist. I'm not looking to trade/sell, I just want some info before I spend $5 on a crappy release. Granted, every release of A Fist Full is probably crappy, but I know that Crystal Fist has been released in widescreen, I just don't know where. Also, if anyone knows where I can find the Chinese VCD's/VHS's of either movie, that would be be great too.

858.jpg

Thank you ThunderScore for the info, but I'm still wondering which are the best DVD releases for A Fist Full and Crystal Fist.

To further muddy the waters you might be interested to know that the TV version of CRYSTAL FIST aka JADE CLAW has additional footage not found in the Theatrical Versions I've seen...

c0a26854747bd2b0e51a567144146424974d171e.jpg

To further muddy the waters you might be interested to know that the TV version of CRYSTAL FIST aka JADE CLAW has additional footage not found in the Theatrical Versions I've seen...

Is the TV version readily available anywhere? On VHS maybe? I wonder if the Chinese version is any longer than the theatrical versions. I'd be happy with a widescreen release of Crystal Fist, even if dubbed.

Is the TV version readily available anywhere? On VHS maybe? I wonder if the Chinese version is any longer than the theatrical versions. I'd be happy with a widescreen release of Crystal Fist, even if dubbed.

It was distributed to Television by WW Entertainment, a division of World Northal, who distributed A LOT of Shaw Brothers titles theatrically and to TV. IIRC, JADE CLAW was edited for TV, which is probably why it needed to be padded with additional Billy Chong footage. I can't recall what (if any) film the footage is from, only that Billy's hair is shorter in the new footage.

Here's some additional info:

http://templeofschlock.blogspot.com/2009/03/jade-claw-on-drive-in-movie-3191983.html

It was distributed to Television by WW Entertainment, a division of World Northal, who distributed A LOT of Shaw Brothers titles theatrically and to TV. IIRC, JADE CLAW was edited for TV, which is probably why it needed to be padded with additional Billy Chong footage. I can't recall what (if any) film the footage is from, only that Billy's hair is shorter in the new footage.

I just watched the Chinese version of Crystal Fist (Jade Claw) and though there wasn't any new footage of Chong with shorter hair, it does contain extended scenes not found in the US version. Here's a comparison I made:

http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?p=247744#post247744

Archived