Best Taiwanese Movies?

KenHashibe

One Armed Boxer
Do we know what the cover looks like? Does anyone own this VHS?

Hey Ken, not sure what the VHS cover looks like for the 13 hour TV series, but the version everyone is referring to here is the 90 minute English dubbed version (which included some of the most amazing dubbed lines you'll ever hear!), which was released on DVD by Crash in the early 2000's. It's pretty tricky to get hold of these days, but the cover of it looks like this -

jaquette.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Ken, not sure what the VHS cover looks like for the 13 hour TV series, but the version everyone is referring to here is the 90 minute English dubbed version (which included some of the most amazing dubbed lines you'll ever hear!), which was released on DVD by Crash in the early 2000's. It's pretty tricky to get hold of these days, but the cover of it looks like this -

jaquette.jpg

I must say, that is an awesome looking cover. I think I'll watch it on YouTube first before thinking of buying it. Thanks!

• Like 1

I watched on a video Asia collection. "Ninja: Legendary Assassins" I believe it's called. It also has the class A classic Ninja in the Dragons Den on it. I paid about $4 for the set at 2nd and Charles!

• Like 1

I watched on a video Asia collection. "Ninja: Legendary Assassins" I believe it's called. It also has the class A classic Ninja in the Dragons Den on it. I paid about $4 for the set at 2nd and Charles!

Just gotta say, Ninja in the Dragon's Den's awesome! Five Element Ninjas is probably my favorite ninja movie though. Now that that's said, let's not turn this Taiwanese movies thread into a ninja thread. Taiwanese ninja movies can go here though. Ninjas are awesome. :nerd:

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
Now that that's said, let's not turn this Taiwanese movies thread into a ninja thread.

On that note, if we're going to throw the thread open to all Taiwanese movie recommendations, then I'll have to add the 2013 psychological thriller, 'Soul', which stars Jimmy Wang Yu. It pains me that nobody on here seems to have seen it, there's a lonely thread here -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22687

• Like 1

On that note, if we're going to throw the thread open to all Taiwanese movie recommendations, then I'll have to add the 2013 psychological thriller, 'Soul', which stars Jimmy Wang Yu. It pains me that nobody on here seems to have seen it, there's a lonely thread here -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22687

I've heard about the movie when it came out but never got around to watching. Sounds good though. I might pick it up if I can find it for cheap.

74e16e4c7f2ceea175f9d2c94c7e702404a50170.jpg

Man, TS, you never have a shortage of cool kung fu movie posters. :smile:

one foot crane is pretty wild i guess :squigglemouth:

B70TIdur70M

also the german bluray of the master & the kid is ok too :squigglemouth:

Psutlew9YAw&

I've actually seen One Foot Crane and it's nothing spectacular but still a decent kung fu flick. Haven't seen The Master and the Kid, but it looks nice on Blu-ray. Thanks for the videos.

• Like 1

Secret Executioner
There is a movie called Shaolin Dolemite (Rudy Ray Moore) that uses some more of the film shot for the TV series.

To be precise, the RRM footage is basically spliced into the TV series footage.

• Like 1

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
Rider of revenge is very good, with also Kong Ban in it.

I don't know if they are Union Films or not, but there are also Black invitation, Fly dragon mountain, Iron petticoat, She'd hate rather love, The brave and the evil, The bravest revenge, The decisive battle, The grand passion, A girl fighter, A city called dragon, Blood revenge (superb action movie), The ghost hill which are all excellent. I watched them a while ago, but I still remember that I really enjoyed them at that moment...

Here are the posters and some trailers and movies.

Blood Revenge poster:

BloodRevenge+1974-2-b.jpg

A Girl Fighter:

AGirlFighter+1972-31-b.jpg

SH0eSaYLDyE

The Grand Passion:

TheGrandPassion+1970-6-b.jpg

Black Invitation:

BlackInvitation+1969-1-b.jpg

The Bravest Revenge:

TheBravestRevenge+1970-4-b.jpg

4JAUSJLqi1E

A City Called Dragon:

CityCalledDragon+1969-26-b.jpg

bd9lBYclbns

Fly Dragon Mountain:

TheFlyDragonMountain+1971-1-b.jpg

muqYzCBaDFQ

Iron Petticoat:

IronPetticoat+1969-16-b.jpg

Ghost Hill:

GhostHill+1971-1-b.jpg

XLr_i41-xoA

The Bravest Revenge:

TheBravestRevenge+1970-4-b.jpg

4JAUSJLqi1E

GD Y-Y

• Like 1

Just saw Kung Fu Student (1989) yesterday. As dumb as it was, I thought it was still decent, but not much more. The movie was mostly fun and entertaining, while sometimes it might be a little uneven and sometimes even annoying at times. In between some of the excitement in Taiwanese movies, there are a lot of characters who are very loud and this movie is no exception.

This movie very awkwardly goes from funny to dramatic/from lighthearted to mean-spirited all throughout, but when this movie's entertaining, it's really darn entertaining. It's another one of those movies where it isn't necessarily good, but it's totally watchable. The plot is ridiculous and at times hard to follow, but our two main leads are the highlights and their chemistry is sometimes sweet.

Lam Siu Lau unfortunately doesn't get to fight much. Much of the action is gun play so Lam only gets to show off her fighting skills towards the end. For most of the movie, she does get to show off her acting skills, both in a comedic and dramatic role. The only downside is that she cries a lot in this movie. The ending of the movie confuses me a bit and I wish there was a bit more to it, but the movie as a whole is an amusing mess, and for a Taiwanese movie, that's just fine.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer

Judicial Emissary (1998) - Definitely one of the oddest Taiwanese movies I've seen, and the only directorial effort from Chui Gwok-Yin, I wasn't even able to identify most of the actors names in this one, so please bear with me.

The basic story is a couple who are both cops visit a temple in a cave, during which the guy finds a box that has a red cape and old diary inside. He takes them home with him and starts reading the diary, but finds himself being regularly haunted/visited by a superhero type character who wears the cape and a mask over his eyes, calling himself the Executor of Justice. The appearance of the Executor is always marked by crazy sound effects and plenty of wind, keeping his hair and cape blowing even when they're indoors. It's all quite amusing, although I'm not sure it's supposed to be.

I did recognize the Executor as being played by Lau Sek-Ming, as he had starring roles in both 'Revanchist' & '21 Red List' (http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19612). The Executor keeps on lecturing the cop who took the cape and diary on how he should follow his heart and that it's sometimes necessary to kill the bad guys, which leads him to believe that he's going crazy. Cue visits to the hospital psychiatric ward, scenes of him talking to himself, and the Executor of Justice flapping his red cape everywhere whenever he appears.

Somewhere amongst all the weirdness, there's a gangster who of course needs to be caught. The gangster is the type of guy who likes to get himself off while licking a womans shoe, and in another scene is seen meditating on a table while holding the framed picture of a naked woman. Even the conventional plotline is strange. Thanfully he has a bodyguard in the form of Cheung Aau-Tang, who can pull off some nice choreography, especially with his kicks.

'Judicial Emissary', according to HKMDB, also marked the last movie appearance of the legendary Jack Long, star of such classics as 'The 7 Grandmasters', although I have to confess I couldn't find him while I was actually watching it.

All in all this is a very strange movie - part fantasy, part martial arts, part drama, part gangster flick. Throw them all together and for the most part they fail to stick. There is some brief flashes of action throughout, including an impressive start which sees the Executor of Justice (played by Sek-Ming) taking out a group of bad guys, which includes some crazy wirework. The crazy wirework returns at the end when the main character takes on the mantle of the Executor, and randomly flys around blowing things up and kicking people.

I'd really love to know if this was based on a comic book. The story seems to have come out of one, and there's a lot left unexplained. Who is the Executor of Justice? Was he a ghost or not? What happens to him when the main character decided to take on his role? Why does the middle aged chief of police also turn up in the Executor outfit at the end of the movie? In fact why does the chief of police mumble to himself that the Executor disappeared 20 years ago!? These and probably 100 more questions are left completely unanswered.

One to check out if you're in the mood for something different and have a high tolerance for complete randomness. Considering this is a forum were presumably everyone is a fan of 80's Hong Kong moviers, that's probably a lot of us.

Best line: "You impotent pervert!"

-XXstCqm6jo

• Like 1

So a Brazilian distributor has a 4-movie "Nouvelle Vague" collection of Taiwanese films:

A Brighter Summer Day (1991)
A Time to Live, A Time to Die (1985)
Daughter of the Nile (1987)
Taipei Story (1985)

Are these movies worth watching?

@One Armed Boxer and @Moderation Team - Can you move this to the Asian Cinema forum?

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

So a Brazilian distributor has a 4-movie "Nouvelle Vague" collection of Taiwanese films:

A Brighter Summer Day (1991)
A Time to Live, A Time to Die (1985)
Daughter of the Nile (1987)
Taipei Story (1985)

Are these movies worth watching?

@One Armed Boxer and @Moderation Team - Can you move this to the Asian Cinema forum?

Haven't seen A Bright Summer Day and Taipei Story but I have them on my watch list together with Yi Yi as must-see Edward Yang films. 

Personally I wouldn't include Daughter of the Nile, Hou Hsiao-hsien made better movies, A City of Sadness would be a better choice. As I understand Daughter received some recognition later on as his transitional piece which moved away from his biographical and autobiographical works and dealt with more contemporary themes.

A Time to Live, A Time to Die was also directed by Hou Hsiao-hsien and is one of my favorite movies of his. I can't recommend this movie enough, it's his autobiographical coming-of-age story. Be advised, Hou Hsiao-hsien's movies are slow and sleep inducing but this is one of his masterpieces.

• Like 2