Denzel Washington

DiP

I'm back to catching up with the rest in his filmography. Any opinions on these following films?

For Queen & Country

The Mighty Quinn

Ricochet

The Pelican Brief

Devil in a Blue Dress

Courage Under Fire

Fallen

He Got Game

The Siege

The Bone Collector

The Hurricane

Out of Time

The Manchurian Candidate

• Like 1

Is "the siege" one with Bruce Willis also in it? If yes, I saw it in cinema ages ago and remember it was great. Definitely worth checking out.

I just recently discovered he is 60, looks so much younger:wink:

• Like 1

On 12/20/2014 at 4:08 AM, DiP said:

I'm back to catching up with the rest in his filmography. Any opinions on these following films?

For Queen & Country

The Mighty Quinn

Ricochet

The Pelican Brief

Devil in a Blue Dress

Courage Under Fire

Fallen

He Got Game

The Siege

The Bone Collector

The Hurricane

Out of Time

The Manchurian Candidate

6 years later since this thread was made and out of these films, I've seen: The Pelican Brief (great), Devil in a Blue Dress (above-average), Fallen (great), The Siege (above-average), and The Manchurian Candidate (ok at best). Also watched Philadelphia (great). Tried watching The Hurricane at one point but never got around finishing it, and it's been labelled one of his best works (will try again). Also tried Ricochet, The Bone CollectorFlight and 2 Guns but those bored me.

Any thoughts on A Soldier's StoryHard Lessons (a TV movie, and one that seems rare on modern home video format), Cry FreedomThe Great DebatersFences, and Roman J Israel Esq?

• Like 3

On 11/2/2020 at 3:16 AM, DiP said:

6 years later since this thread was made and out of these films, I've seen: The Pelican Brief (great), Devil in a Blue Dress (above-average), Fallen (great), The Siege (above-average), and The Manchurian Candidate (ok at best). Also watched Philadelphia (great). Tried watching The Hurricane at one point but never got around finishing it, and it's been labelled one of his best works (will try again). Also tried Ricochet, The Bone CollectorFlight and 2 Guns but those bored me.

Any thoughts on A Soldier's StoryHard Lessons (a TV movie, and one that seems rare on modern home video format), Cry FreedomThe Great DebatersFences, and Roman J Israel Esq?

Fences is astonishing. A very talky film based on the play, but watching actors of that calibre performing one of the greatest American plays is a pleasure. Also I'd add the two Equalizer films, Denzel beating the shit out of absolute scumbags is so satisfying. Man on Fire and Training Day are brilliant as well.

• Like 5

Was able to find a legit copy of the TV movie Hard Lessons which was shot and released in 1986. Denzel plays a principal who is trying his best to solve all problem in a badly reputed high school. Good movie and great performance (of course).

• Like 2

On 11/12/2020 at 12:17 PM, SamSeed said:

Fences is astonishing. A very talky film based on the play, but watching actors of that calibre performing one of the greatest American plays is a pleasure. Also I'd add the two Equalizer films, Denzel beating the shit out of absolute scumbags is so satisfying. Man on Fire and Training Day are brilliant as well.

I concur, FENCES is an incredible film, acting is uniformly superb and the quiet, creeping tension here can send shivers down your spine. I also agree with TRAINING DAY and MAN ON FIRE being brilliant too, even though I always had misgivings about the irritating, incohesive way Tony Scott favored for shooting his action scenes.

There's also a lot to learn from Denzil's self-directed films THE GREAT DEBATERS and ANTWONE FISHER, both not made with a mass audience in mind but far more interesting than most of his commercial forays with big-ticket directors. And we haven't even talked about MALCOLM X here, probably the most fitting, most memorable performance of his entire career. To me the man remains the best US actor alive, but yes, occasionally it seemed that he wasted his talent on a pile of mediocre popcorn flicks.

Edited by Sheng
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Sheng said:

I also agree with TRAINING DAY and MAN ON FIRE being brilliant too, even though I always had misgivings about the irritating, incohesive way Tony Scott favored for shooting his action scenes.

And we haven't even talked about MALCOLM X here, probably the most fitting, most memorable performance of his entire career.

As much as I want to talk about those movies (real gems in Denzel's filmography, I agree), the reason why I didn't mention them was because I created the thread with the intention of asking people for opinions on less-reputed movies or movies in his filmography that I haven't seen yet.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

I just watched The Bone Collector for the first time... It was actually pretty good as a thriller, much better than the reviews and critics (I no longer listen to movie critics and reviews these days and will just go for it whenever I feel like it) are saying about it. It was great seeing Denzel take on a subdued role opposite roles he's usually associates himself with, and letting someone else take the spotlight. The overall vibe of the movie fits nicely, it was kinda like a blend of Rear Window and Se7en. Nice twist toward the end of movie too.

This is another solid thriller from Denzel, on par with Fallen (his best one imo).

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

I've followed up the last movie with Carbon Copy (1981)A Soldier's Story (1984)Heart Condition (1990), and Out of Time (2003)

Denzel was very funny in the first mentioned and his chemistry with George Segal was charming and energetic. But overall the movie was a bit campy and too awkward at the same time. Too much political incorrectness thrown into the humor, with some stuff working and others not. Worth a look, but only once. 5/10

Denzel put out a more believable and great performance in the second mentioned, despite only playing a supporting role. For being his second movie on the big screen, you can tell Denzel was already geared up to unleash his acting abilities, and held very well against anyone in the movie. The movie belongs to Howard E. Rollins Jr, and Adolph Caesar though, but Denzel's character (a role he really favors, which can be seen in other similarly-themed movies years later) was still one that drove the story forward and concluding to good effect. Very good movie, and one that hits home run. 8.5/10

The third mentioned is overlooked for a simple reason: It's being regarded as a rip-off to Ghost more or less (I would say less, in terms of execution), which also came out the same year. Bob Hoskins plays Whoopy Goldberg's role and Denzel Washington plays Patrick Swayze's. However, I found myself thoroughly enjoying it. Hoskins and Washington is a total mishmash of a match-up but one that eventually succeeded my expectations. Hoskins with the constant anger and outrageous yelling (hence the movie title) coupled with Washington's calm and slick manners; Two different personalities that complements each other in a very funny way. Once they start the insanity off, you're in for a treat! 7/10

The last movie was a real surprise. I've been reading alot of bad criticism and can't understand it after watching the movie and thinking that it was really good. And it's from the same director (Carl Franklin) who previously worked with Washington on Devil in a Blue Dress. The story is simple yet complicated and can be tricky if you're not paying attention. Kinda like watching a detective story with a intricate narrative in the storytelling. This approach leds you interpretting things in more than one way, and that can either satisfy or confuse viewers. I personally thought that made things fascinating. Washington is great as always and is accompanied greatly by Eva Mendez (worked with Washington on Training Day), Sanaa Lathan, and Dean Cain (Clark Kent/Superman in the 90s series Louis & Clark). Not sure what Franklin was thinking casting John Billingsley though, the character was unneeded comic-relief material and could've caused a disastrous shift in overall tone with his ludicrous dialogue and such (thankfully, the actor's screen-time is limited). Franklin, with this movie, leaves behind another well-crafted (but not perfect) thriller that has stood the test of time thanks to the wonderful direction and acting. 8/10

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

On 12/20/2014 at 3:08 AM, DiP said:

For Queen & Country

The Mighty Quinn

Ricochet

The Pelican Brief

Devil in a Blue Dress

Courage Under Fire

Fallen

He Got Game

The Siege

The Bone Collector

The Hurricane

Out of Time

The Manchurian Candidate

Lots of good opinions and good titles already mentioned. Denzel is a good actor and most of his films mentioned in this thread will not disappoint acting wise but their subject matter might not appeal to everyone. So on the acting merit and perhaps for the significance and entertainment value of the films themselves, you can also check out in no particular order if you haven't already seen........................... :

The taking of Pelham 123

American Gangsters

Inside Man

Malcolm X

Deja Vu

John Q

Remember The Titans

Glory

Book of Eli

2 Guns

The Magnificent Seven ( well it was fun....:hi )

Crimson Tide ( Gene Hackman vs Denzel Washington)

Unstoppable..........( also fun )

Roman J Israel Esq is more for the acting but it is a bit of an odd plot with an odd character but watchable nevertheless.

• Like 2