Marco Polo (2014) - Netflix original series

AlbertV

This new series, created by John Fusco (who wrote The Forbidden Kingdom and the upcoming Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II), made its premiere to Netflix this past Friday.

Has anyone had a chance to see any of the episodes yet? There are ten episodes and I'm already half-way through.

It's not that bad of a series, despite what TV critics say (besides, who really goes by what TV critics say these days? :P). It's reminiscent of series such as Game of Thrones and The Tudors. There are loads of violence and plenty of nudity to go around.

Lorenzo Richelmy plays Marco as a young man betrayed by his own father and stuck to serve Kublai Khan while the Mongols are at war with China, led by the Empress Dowager. Marco learns kung fu from a blind warrior who serves Khan. However, the series also revolves around both factions as Kublai is in a power struggle with his brother and his son, who acts as a spy by infiltrating the Chinese while the Empress is in a power struggle of her own with the Emperor's top man as well.

Brett Chan served as the main action choreographer with Ju Kun as his assistant. For those who are not familiar, Ju Kun had finished assisting with the series when he was on the ill-fated Malaysian Airlines Flight 370. The series has been dedicated to his memory.

I can't give a final call until the latter half, which I plan to this week, but I'm enjoying it so far. Guys, episode 2 has a fight scene which will remind people of films like Firecracker and Angelfist to name a few (think about it).

It is on Netflix streaming right now.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OpiumKungFuCracker

Been meaning to watch it but curious as to what type of show it is? Is it serious drama with fight choreography or is it campy with fight choreography. I prefer to be serious like GOT, I love me some really good acting when it comes to these types of shows.

It's a pretty serious tone with the fight choreography, which at times, will not lie, is a bit wire-assisted at times, but mostly is close quarter combat or swordfighting. Marco learns a lot of martial arts and its meaning from his mentor with each lesson, but as I mentioned, the series is not just about Marco, but the internal power struggles within both the Khan empire and the Song Dynasty with both factions at war with each other.

Ron Yuan will be a series regular in season 2 of Marco Polo. He will be playing Prince Nayan.

ShaOW!linDude

Me and the Mrs. loved this series!!!! We're super-psyched for the 2nd season this year!

Right now, as a teaser for that, Netflix has put out a stand alone episode revolving around One Hundred Eyes, the blind Wudang monk played by Tom Wu. We watched it last night and it's killer! Some great choreography here, and a great back story on one of the more interesting supporting players in the series.

If you haven't watched it, go check out the first season. There's a really good fight towards the end between Tom Wu, Collin Chou, and the villain Jia Sidao (played by Chin Han), who uses Mantis Style.

Me and the Mrs. loved this series!!!! We're super-psyched for the 2nd season this year!

Right now, as a teaser for that, Netflix has put out a stand alone episode revolving around One Hundred Eyes, the blind Wudang monk played by Tom Wu. We watched it last night and it's killer! Some great choreography here, and a great back story on one of the more interesting supporting players in the series.

If you haven't watched it, go check out the first season. There's a really good fight towards the end between Tom Wu, Collin Chou, and the villain Jia Sidao (played by Chin Han), who uses Mantis Style.

Absolutely agree. Great series! I just watched season one in a marathon afternoon :smile As a side note you forgot to mention that Michelle Yeoh had a brief appearance in the One hundred eyes spin-off episode. Maybe she'll play a part in season two?

Archived