Snake in the Monkey's Shadow (1979)

Guest driftwoodsigns1

TheKungFuRobber

Can I be of any help to this project? I can work on restoring the audiovisual elements if I can put my work in, and I can also produce artwork, menus and compile extras? I'm amazed that someone has found a Cantonese language print of Snake in the Monkey's Shadow.

I have a VCD of the film but it's a newly recorded "voiceover machine" dub in Mandarin or Cantonese, which from what I've read was created because the original Cantonese version was believed lost.

• Like 1

I got a 35mm print. Not in the best condition but probably still worth working with, if anyone wants to spend the money on a digital transfer that is :tongueout

Edited by laagi
  • Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:24 AM, laagi said:

I got a 35mm print. Not in the best condition but probably still worth working with, if anyone wants to spend the money on a digital transfer that is :tongueout

It would be great but I don't think it would surpasse the Asia Line dvd in term of picture quality.

I also wonder how much does it cost to digitalize & clean a 35mm print… some kung fu movie would really need a new transfer.

we could make a donation group here to restore these movies :) but I guess it's too much money for most people.

I just watched star wars restoration project made by fans and it's pretty damned good…. it's known as Project 4K77 and Project 4K83.

Edited by kevenzz
  • Like 1

@kevenzz Too much from my experience :dull Also as you've said it will be difficult to find enough people to support something like that, unfortunately. I've seen the Star Wars project on myspleen, haven't had the chance to watch it yet myself. Glad though to see these kind of projects come to fruition.

• Like 1

TheKungFuRobber

Asia Line Print is already really good. Remastered, good colours and encoded at a high bitrate (DVD is dual layer). No DNR either which is good to see. If I could work on it I'd spend time restoring the opening credits and convert the film back to a progressive 24FPS. I'd also upscale the Asia Line print using Adobe's Detail Preserving Upscale algorithm to 1280x720 (square pixel) format and perhaps adjust the colours a little bit to make the skin tones appear more natural (they are a tad oversaturated and pinkish, reds are a magenta tone which makes me veleive that the luma range is a bit off and that there is a little too much hue in the highlights). I'd also take the deleted scenes which were inaerted into the print from the Kuenfist betamax custom as the composite footage used is from an inferior source.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2019 at 6:35 AM, TheKungFuRobber said:

Asia Line Print is already really good. Remastered, good colours and encoded at a high bitrate (DVD is dual layer). No DNR either which is good to see. If I could work on it I'd spend time restoring the opening credits and convert the film back to a progressive 24FPS. I'd also upscale the Asia Line print using Adobe's Detail Preserving Upscale algorithm to 1280x720 (square pixel) format and perhaps adjust the colours a little bit to make the skin tones appear more natural (they are a tad oversaturated and pinkish, reds are a magenta tone which makes me veleive that the luma range is a bit off and that there is a little too much hue in the highlights). I'd also take the deleted scenes which were inaerted into the print from the Kuenfist betamax custom as the composite footage used is from an inferior source.

Doing exactly that atm + adding the original Cantonese track. + doing some kind of "composite" trick to add original Chinese opening and closing credits instead of the German ones.

• Like 2

On 12/4/2018 at 9:24 PM, laagi said:

35mm print? Nice. I'm curious though, how bad is the condition? Missing frames? Severe damage at reel changes? Faded colors?

Actually, I have seen some crazy fans who have made customs from 35mm prints by doing some really crude DIY in the backyard ghetto style method (vs. a real movie film scanner which costs a lot of money) such as putting the print on a digital scanner or 35mm photo scanner, scanning each frame one by one and uploading the files to the computer to a video editing software.

I've seen another method (perhaps with one the Star Wars fan customs) where they used a DSLR to photograph each frame of the 35mm print while illuminated by a light-bulb or something.

Michael

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gskmeva said:

35mm print? Nice. I'm curious though, how bad is the condition? Missing frames? Severe damage at reel changes? Faded colors?

Actually, I have seen some crazy fans who have made customs from 35mm prints by doing some really crude DIY in the backyard ghetto style method (vs. a real movie film scanner which costs a lot of money) such as putting the print on a digital scanner or 35mm photo scanner, scanning each frame one by one and uploading the files to the computer to a video editing software.

I've seen another method (perhaps with one the Star Wars fan customs) where they used a DSLR to photograph each frame of the 35mm print while illuminated by a light-bulb or something.

Michael

Sold the print... Not enough supporters to even consider a possible transfer; as is with many prints unfortunately. Unless fans will understand that these things are expensive, many prints will remain hidden or ultimately disposed. Sad but true!

Edited by laagi
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, laagi said:

Sold the print... Not enough supporters to even consider a possible transfer; as is with many prints unfortunately. Unless fans will understand that these things are expensive, many prints will remain hidden or ultimately disposed. Sad but true!

Sorry to hear about that. Anyway, much would've it cost to do a transfer?

• Like 1

TheKungFuRobber
On 5/9/2019 at 11:59 AM, laagi said:

Sad but true!

I'm your dream, make you real;
I'm your eyes when you must steal;
I'm your pain when you can't feel

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
4 hours ago, globe said:

hi

i have a 16mm negative of this movie

I reccomend you contact a company like VCI or AGFA, might be a way to lead to a blu-ray release.

• Like 3

On 1/29/2008 at 11:37 PM, Linn1 said:

the old Xenon tape. This film has still never been released uncut. The longest print known is owned by Tarantino. He showed it at a film fest a couple of years ago and it had two extra fights among other bits and pieces.

Does anyone know who fights who in these two extra fights?

s-l1600 (12).jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

Does anyone know who fights who in these two extra fights?

s-l1600 (12).jpg

It's John Chang with Wilson Tong and Charlie Chan.

• Like 2