Snake in the Monkey's Shadow (1979)

Guest driftwoodsigns1

TibetanWhiteCrane

The Wong Fei Hung theme, Under The General's Order I think it's called.

Very common tune in the genre, can easily be found somwhere. A full soundtrack? Not likely.

I realized minutes after I posted this that the same song was used in Drunken Master. Either way, thanks for the info. I appreciate the help.

I think mine is bootleg, it has the snake killing scene, but looks rather washed out. On the plus side, the mediocre image gives it a kind of ambience that works with a movie like this.

I cant remember much about this film its so long since Ive watched it. The DVD looks far better than the full screen version I had on VHS years ago. All old school flicks should look this good. Well maybe not all of them but the classics at least.

I have still yet to see this, but I recently got a DVD of it on the cheap. I am sure it is a shit version, but after seeing and enjoying Monkey Kung Fu, I am looking forward to it.

Just checked, it is a Xenon release, so it's pretty much a lock the PQ will be bad, haha.

I have still yet to see this, but I recently got a DVD of it on the cheap. I am sure it is a shit version, but after seeing and enjoying Monkey Kung Fu, I am looking forward to it.

Just checked, it is a Xenon release, so it's pretty much a lock the PQ will be bad, haha.

This movie was officially my son's introduction to the classic kung fu genre, and he really enjoyed it :)

TheKungFuRobber

Hello, I am enquiring on the best availible versions of Snake in the Monkey's shadow.

These are the versions I have found.

UK DVD- good picture quality but cropped to 1:33.1 and cut.

FLK Bootleg- false widescreen and non anamorphic. colours are way too bright but decent picture quality and uncut.

@kaleyboy custom- good picture quality and uncut but picture is a little soft and some audio sync problems, also windowboxed.

@kuenfist custom- good picture quality but has similar audio sync problems to kaleyboy's as well as very soft picture.

Panmedia- don't know enough about this version.

US VCD- don't know.

Hindi VCD-don't know.

Toby Russell's 35mm print- probably good picture quality but I'll probably not see it as he says that he won't release it until he can find an original Mandarin or Cantonese audio track.

Quentin Tarantino's 35mm print- nobody is ever going to see it.

Youku version- appears to be either a laserdisc or video source. Definately based on export version as credits are only in English. Has a Chinese copyright card at beginning, is cut and has a newly made Mandarin track which is absolutely dreadful (the old one is lost).

Does anybody know about any of these prints or others which are of better picture quality. I am particularly keen to know if Toby Russel may change his mind, if the VCD or Panmedia are any good and if anyone has a Cantonese track out there.

Thank you. :)

KenHashibe
Quentin Tarantino's 35mm print- nobody is ever going to see it.

QT's print had been screened at the New Beverly last year in November. I didn't attend this screening so I can't comment on the quality, but I do believe it's English dubbed.

I've heard that there's a German release which is remastered and widescreen, but I don't know where you can find it.

Hope that helps.

TheKungFuRobber

That's great! I hope we can unearth more information of where I (or anyone else on this forum) can purchase the German remastered version or someone can upload it onto Asian DVD club and I can make my custom DVD.

there is no German remastered DVD, it was only released on VHS in Germany yet. good Widescreen, but still VHS.

oh edit: there is a really nice German 35mm Trailer in 2.35 anamorphic Quality out though. It's bonus on a recent German DVD:

http://www.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassung&fid=3524&vid=387915

this is the Trailer: "Zwei tödliche Fäuste im Schatten der Schlange" (3:40 Min.)

According to this source, the United States Double Feature DVD with Horror Holiday includes the film in 16:9 Anamorphic widescreen. The cover also says it is the Chinese version with English titles.

http://www.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassung&fid=20707&vid=245946

Can anyone confirm this?

it also says in Info "German VHS used as source for the Video" and it is only English dubbed.

14 minutes ago, Fansfilms said:

Just found an original Cantonese print of Snake in the Monkey's Shadow. I'm still shocked! 

Definitely interested in this.