Snake in the Monkey's Shadow (1979)

Guest driftwoodsigns1

Before I go into details, I want to make two things clear:

1 This is NOT the FLK version.

2 This is NOT Jamal's version.

I made this version myself using an original uncut German VHS tape. As you can see from the comparison pics, it's a good deal wider than the previous FLK version, which itself was considered widescreen at the time, lol. I took the German video, added English custom dub by syncing with Sony Vegas, but I have also kept the German dub for German speakers. I have also cleaned the video in Virtual Dub using neat video filter, and I did some colour correction to remove a yellowish tint from the print. Lastly I sized it to 16:9 within a window box, so as to avoid overly stretching the picture. It took me quite a while to complete, so I hope everyone enjoys it. I think it's the best version available of this classic old school film. Like before, it can be obtained for free on Asian DVD Club.

NEW VERSION

mine04.png

FLK

flk04.png

NEW VERSION

mine01.png

FLK

flk01.png

NEW VERSION

mine02.png

FLK

flk02.png

NEW VERSION

mine03.png

FLK

flk03.png

Shaolin Chamber 36

For those who may be unaware, on the official forum for Shaolin Chamber 36, there is a section which is only visible to registered members called the HIDDEN CHAMBER. In this special Chamber, there is a section called CHAMBER CINEMA. This is where I like to give thanks to those who have registered with the forum and have a Kung Fu movie screening each week. With Kaleyboy's permission, I will be screening his custom version of Snake in the Monkey's Shadow this coming Monday May 30 @ 12:00 AM (Pacific Time) through Sunday June 5, 11:59 PM (Pacific Time).

It will be the English Dubbed version.

So for those unable to download a FREE copy, courtesy of KB, you will be able to view it online during the week it's available in the Chamber Cinema.

Thank you Kaleyboy!

(I hope this doesn't come off as spamming, I just don't know how else to let the fans of Kung Fu films know about the screening.)

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
(I hope this doesn't come off as spamming, I just don't know how else to let the fans of Kung Fu films know about the screening.)

Bro, you're NO spammer! :tongue: A spammer is some jerk selling cell phones here. :smile: You- as usual- are promoting KUNG FU goodies which is what I (and everyone else) comes to this forum for. I've found so many cool screenings, posters, movies, figures, et because of people posting about them on here. Plus, KFC was always my fix for reviews and news, and now that it's slowed down to a trickle, it's great to see your site back up and running like a raging river (of kung fu). Hmmmm, could be a good title... RAGING RIVER OF KUNG FU! Okay, I'm getting that thing copyrighted. :xd:

Anyway... another super cool custom DVD that I'm clicking my heels about! I love this movie- I'm a bit of a mad monkey myself :xd:- so another big THANK YOU to Kaleyboy! Can't wait to watch this version. :nerd:

Well done kaleyboy its about time.The only thing is that " yellow tint " was how the original 35mm copies looked like.The film had it's own unique colour which was very " rich " at the time compared to the majority of the independent movies filmed and printed on low quality stock.Snake In The Monkey's Shadow overall looked amazing on screen.The green and yellow tint gave a sort of fresh look to kung fu movies.Pomson Shi's orange & yellow ? outfit really stood out against the lush greenery of the forest.

Please bear in mind that this is not a criticism as I am very happy with what you have done and achieved;the point is that I think you took a tad too much off the yellow (compared to the original look) which makes this version a bit faded in my opinion.Otherwise a huge pat on the back.

Well done kaleyboy its about time.The only thing is that " yellow tint " was how the original 35mm copies looked like.The film had it's own unique colour which was very " rich " at the time compared to the majority of the independent movies filmed and printed on low quality stock.Snake In The Monkey's Shadow overall looked amazing on screen.The green and yellow tint gave a sort of fresh look to kung fu movies.Pomson Shi's orange & yellow ? outfit really stood out against the lush greenery of the forest.

Please bear in mind that this is not a criticism as I am very happy with what you have done and achieved;the point is that I think you took a tad too much off the yellow (compared to the original look) which makes this version a bit faded in my opinion.Otherwise a huge pat on the back.

I guess one person's "faded" is another person's "cleaned-up". Each person sees something different to another: show two people the same image and each will see and remember something different to the other one. It's what helps to make us all unique.

Personally, compared to the untouched VHS, the version I did is much improved. I don't think the art of yellow tinting really caught on; I don't remember too many others making use of it following SITMS.

I don't think the art of yellow tinting really caught on; I don't remember too many others making use of it following SITMS.

Yeah this is true as I only noticed it on 2 Goldig Movies of that era.There was another John Chang film made by Goldig (can't remember the name - modern day film ) that had this look but I didn't notice it in anything else.Perhaps it was a trial to create a special " Goldig " look and I have to admit again that it suited Snake...very well on screen.

Son Of A Gun

What's a custom english dub?

You mean some fans have made a home-made dub using a computer and microphones etc...?

What's a custom english dub?

You mean some fans have made a home-made dub using a computer and microphones etc...?

No, what you're thinking of is a "fan dub". A custom dub is audio taken from one source, then added to another. In this case, audio from the retail DVD, custom added to a German VHS, that only had German audio otherwise. Obviously, it doesn't fit, seeing as it's from another source, so it has to be synced frame-by-frame using (in this case) Sony Vegas Pro. It involves tiny cuts, often only fractions of a second, in order to keep bringing the audio into sync with the video. Sometimes (due to frame differences) the video gets ahead of the audio, so that requires that you extend it in those parts to create sync.

Yeah this is true as I only noticed it on 2 Goldig Movies of that era.There was another John Chang film made by Goldig (can't remember the name - modern day film ) that had this look but I didn't notice it in anything else.Perhaps it was a trial to create a special " Goldig " look and I have to admit again that it suited Snake...very well on screen.

Maybe one of the reasons is that the effect may have worked well on a cinema screen, but perhaps it was rather lost on the small fullscreen TV screens (of the 1980s), and maybe people thought it just looked yellow by mistake?

Son Of A Gun

Oh yeah, I know what syncing audio tracks is like, I've done many myself but I just call it an "english dub". 'lol When you said "English custom dub" It confused me. Since the dvd is a custom job, it goes without saying that the english dub would be part of that. I would have just said "English dub" added. But hey.... :smile: Thanks for clearing it up.

Maybe one of the reasons is that the effect may have worked well on a cinema screen, but perhaps it was rather lost on the small fullscreen TV screens (of the 1980s), and maybe people thought it just looked yellow by mistake?

Yeah this is a possibility.If a person is not familiar with the intended photo chemical process of the 35mm print and it's original look on the theatre screen,if the print is later telecined without colour correction (and vhs/dvd copies are made) it will definitely look as if it was yellow by mistake.Again this is true.

Oh yeah, I know what syncing audio tracks is like, I've done many myself but I just call it an "english dub". 'lol When you said "English custom dub" It confused me. Since the dvd is a custom job, it goes without saying that the english dub would be part of that. I would have just said "English dub" added. But hey.... :smile: Thanks for clearing it up.

The accepted and known term for this kind of work in fan circles is custom dub. Take a look on ADC, all projects with English dub added to a print that didn't originally have it, are known as custom dubs. The dub is "customized" to fit that print. Makes perfect sense to call it a custom dub. Just saying "English dub added" does not make clear that the dub is synced and "customized" specifically to that print. It could just mean someone added a dub, not that they timed it properly. Hence the term "custom dub" better suits this type of project, and saves confusion.

Son Of A Gun

Saves confusion? More like 'causes confusion'. 'lol Custom dub says to me...a custom dub has been made. There's nothing custom about the dub itself. Of course it has to be synced to the print though, that goes without saying and shouldn't need to be stated.

If people want it to call it a ''custom dub" that's up to them. But for me, when I see that, it says to me that a 'custom dub' has been made for the movie. As aposed to an official one made by the studio.

Just saying... :wink:

Whoever came up with that saying needs to be told off. :nerd:

*A gong sounds as I leave the room*

Well, custom is just the shortened version of the word "customized". Here's what the Oxford English Dictionary says about that word:

" verb

[with object]

modify (something) to suit a particular individual or task:

the software can be customized to the developing needs of your students

(as adjective customized)

many caterers offer private tastings and customized menus"

Which indicates something already existing has been modified for another type of usage. How this causes confusion, or leads anyone to think a bunch of people have made their own dub, I just don't get it:squigglemouth::ooh:

Son Of A Gun

First off, let me correct my poor vocab just now. I meant to say "term", not "saying". :smile:

And the word ''custom'' is not the part I got confused by. It was where it was placed. ie: Before the word ''dub". So a ''custom dub'' to me means a "custom made dub". I don't know how else to say it. 'lol

You're right, ''custom'' does mean what you said means but I think putting it next to ''dub'' causes confusion. Well it did for me anyway.

"Custom sync'd audio track" is the only less confusing way of saying it, I think. But since I now know what "custom dub" is referring to, I wont misunderstand. But it still bugs me. :tongue:

"Hey, Mister, Mister!....are you Bruce Lee? They told me to give this to you."

I understand where you're coming from, but I guarantee that if it was uploaded to ADC with "Custom sync'd audio track" after the title, the mods would shorten it to custom dub. "Custom sync'd audio track" is too clunky a sentence for a description on a download page header. You have a limited number of words to fit in there. See this pic from ADC:

adccustom.jpg

Do you think "Custom sync'd audio track" will replace custom in these descriptions?

After all, it's how language and words themselves change and evolve, to fit new purposes. Language is constantly being "customized". In that sense, we speak a custom dub every day:tongue::smile:

Son Of A Gun

Yep, it is too clunky a sentence. But it's the only way I can think of for explaining it without causing confusion with a custom made dub. :D that's why they should just leave the word ''custom'' off altogether.

"custom dvd" = fine "custom subs" = fine ...because they are really are customized. The dubbing however hasn't been customized. The audio track sync has.

Anyway, I think I've made it clear how I feel about this now. 'lol I don't expect a whole internet forum to change their ways for me. But I just wanted to point out a flaw in the system. :wink:

Back on topic people!

NIce work Kaleyboy!!! Once again you pleasantly surprise me with a great custom dub and one of the best looking versions of this movie I have seen!!! You seem to be a technical master and I'm really looking forward to seeing this as with Bob....I consider myself a bit of a crazy monkey as well!!!

keep up the great work!!!!

Can anyone identify the opening song in Snake in the Monkey's Shadow? I feel like I've heard it before in an other film. For that matter, does anyone know where I can find the soundtrack?

eH2w8pVecUY