Snake in the Monkey's Shadow (1979)

Guest driftwoodsigns1

flashlegs kungfu.

the url is: http://www.flashlegsrare.com

they no longer sell movies on their site.

They have alot of WS & special custom subbed versions of movies that are not commercially available.

i'm sure their lack of legal distribution rights to films did them in.

HOWEVER, there are quite a few traders from this site that have that WS SIMS discussed above.

:)

PS: I LOVE their work. Often they had a WS or dubbed version when no-one else did!

Mr Hans hairy claw

Does the uncut version show the animal fight between the snake and the monkey? mY vhs version cuts it, was dissapointed after watching the snake and cat go at it in the snake in eagle shadow.

thedirtytiger

The bad news for the rest of us is Toby isn't releasing anything else at least for a while as he is fed up with the booters ripping off his work all the time. We may never ever get to see Massacre Survivor !!!!!!!!!!!! :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Righteous Master
The bad news for the rest of us is Toby isn't releasing anything else at least for a while as he is fed up with the booters ripping off his work all the time. We may never ever get to see Massacre Survivor !!!!!!!!!!!! :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I don't blame the guy. As long as the Earth is still turning, there will be scumbags who will be stealing, buying and selling others legimate work. This is yet another good example of how those who buy bootleg movies are hurting us all.

Mr Hans hairy claw
Yeah the uncut version has the animal fight. It also has the flashbacks which were cut out of the final fight.

is there an uncut eng dub available??

kungfusamurai

I avoided buying the Xenon version years ago because I found the panning in the fullscreen very annoying. It's like the camera pointing at the image moved everytime someone moved to the left or right. It was like watching the Blair Witch Project.

Are all the versions out there like that? Or is there a DVD where the fullscreen print doesn't keep panning and scanning within the same shot of each fight scene?

KFS

Righteous Master

I don't think that there is a widescreen version available for sale on the internet from what I can tell. All I could find was the stupid pan and scan. Who was the moron who decided for us that we should not be watching the original widescreen format on t.v?

I have a good vhs copy of the movie from waaaayyy back in the mid '80s that i turned into a dvd.Anyone know when a dvd rip will become available?I know recently they are selling censored versions of the movie, i.e. they took out the fight between the monkey and cobra(which is extremely important to the movie).Just wondering if there is an uncut version in dvd fomat.Makes me wonder also if the fight between the snake & cat were cut out in snake in the eagles shadow.Your thoughts?

Yeah the snake vs cat fight has been removed from the uk prints of snake in the eagles shadow.

You can get an uncut dvd of snake in the monkeys on import i think maybe try ebay?

That ruins part of the story.

Unrelated, but the UK HKL print of Eastern Condors is censored, unsure of the Australian version though.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
That ruins part of the story.

Unrelated, but the UK HKL print of Eastern Condors is censored, unsure of the Australian version though.

Yes, the scene where Yuen Biao pulls the head off a snake.

Li Ho, I'll check my SNAKE IN THE MONKEY'S SHADOW DVD for you and let you know.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I checked my DVD, the Xenon version, and the scene is cut.:confused:

I may still have it on VHS uncut, not sure. I'll look, but it may not be for a week or two or even longer. The VHS have all been boxed until I can complete some new shelves, and I'm busy working so that won't happen for a while.

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah the Xenon version has the monkey vs snake fight cut out. There's also flashbacks in the final fight that are cut out. It really ruins a good movie.

• Administrator

Hey, I know you asked about this almost two months ago, but I finally found it. My VHS turned out to be one of many lost in flooding, but I put the word out to some friends and one of them had it.

It's an OOP DVD from Video Asia/Ventura, so as usual with this company the picture quality is poor. The disc is letterboxed from a German print source, is scratched, blurry, speckled, and has over-blown, blooming colors. I adjusted the color on my TV and it looked much better. On a 1-5 scale (with 1 being the worst, and 5 being mint DVD quality) I'd give the picture image a high 2 or low 3. I wound up watching the whole thing, so it's not that bad. It sort of looks like a 4th or 5th generation VHS copy.

Anyway, it's got the cobra vs monkey scene completely intact, including shots that appear later as "flashbacks" during the climactic fight. The scene is pretty important to the film's story, but I have to admit- is also a bit sickening. :( Really brutal.

Anyway, that's the print you want to look for. If you just want to get it from me, shoot me a pm.

Heres hoping this thread hasn't been doen before. . . .

I looked this up on IMDB and it gets a great rating (for a Kung Fu movie) and the review was extremely effusive, basically saying you ain't a fan if you ain't seen it.

I immediately looked for a DVd and found one on Amazon. It was a videoasia double layer with a Tan tao Liang movie. Being a huge fan of Tan I immediately ordered it. However, as soon as I had the order was cancelled and the DVD went up in price to 25 pounds!

So my questions are:

Has anyone seen it, and can attest to its greatness?

Can you get a decent DVD copy for a reasonable price?

I saw it a long time ago and have to say I was left underwhelmed- it was good but no-where near as good as had been hyped. Personally I think Snake in the Eagles shadow is vastly superior ,that said maybe I should revisit SIMS

Flashlegs Pete Jr

I dubbed the German print 4 years ago and used the INTRO from the UK version to splice in the beginning INTRO and I assure OURS IS UNCUT!!! a revolutionary PROJECT!!! from FLK....to give the fans what they WANT!!!!

I got the German print from Jamal and I think I recognize the one he put up on YOUTUBE..:D

Snake%20in%20the%20Monkey

http://www.flkcinema.com/MorInfo.asp?FilmID=837&Search=Search

YES I REMEMBER THAT I GIVE YOU MY GERMAN PRINT YEARS AGO ,NOW I FIND ANOTHER VHS OF THIS GREAT MOVIE ,AND WE DUB THEME !!!

GREAT SLEEVE PETE !

CHEERS

mwesley@morehouse.edu

You guys are all wrong. This movie stars John Chang, Pomson Shi as the Monkey, Wilson Tong as one snake and Charlie Chan as another snake

Morgoth Bauglir
You guys are all wrong. This movie stars John Chang, Pomson Shi as the Monkey, Wilson Tong as one snake and Charlie Chan as another snake

No love given to the drunken teacher played by Hau Chiu Sing?