Snake in the Monkey's Shadow (1979)

Guest driftwoodsigns1

Guest driftwoodsigns1

Snake in the monkey's shadow

I watched this movie years ago when i was about 10yrs old [21 yrs ago] and i remembered loving this movie. Over the last two years i have been looking around in video stores for this film and asked around, but nobody seems to know of it. Someone gave me a movie called monkey in the snake's shadow, but that was not the movie. Can anyone tell me if this movie title exists or if my memory is playing tricks on me and it may have been called something else. Would be grateful for any info.

Guest le monkey

Snake in the Monkey's Shadow does exist and is probably Johnny Chan's finest moment.A really good old school MA movie.

I am not sure this should be posted in this part of the Forum though.

You can pick up the dubbed fullscreen (4:3) Region 2 PAL version here in the UK for about £5.

If you do want to purchase this version try www.play.com.

I heard though that this copy is cut.

Hope this helps.

Righteous Master

last night I was watching the double feature disc which includes SITMS and Horror holiday and was very disappointed with the picture quality of SITMS. The copy on this disc is obviously a VHS transfer. Is there a decent legit edition (no Panmedia please)out there which is not out of print that anyone knows of?

I enjoyed watching this film and would be intrested in picking up a cleaner copy of this film if I could find it.

Righteous Master

It seems that Panmedia's version has good image quality. Could anyone verify this as true? If Pan's version is good, then this means that there is another version of the film out there that Panmedia ripped off. Does anybody know where Panmedia stole their version from?

the old Xenon tape. This film has still never been released uncut. The longest print known is owned by Tarantino. He showed it at a film fest a couple of years ago and it had two extra fights among other bits and pieces.

Righteous Master

I have been doing some searching on the web and cannot find a copy of this film except for the double feature edition which I watched last night. I also found out that the versions currently available are missing about 20 minutes of the original film. This is horrible! Now here is a title that Dragon Dynasty needs to restore and release. Has anyone watched or own an unedited version of this film? If you do own an unedited verion where did you buy it and when? If so, could you please give us all some more insight into this topic?

Righteous Master

Thanks for the info Linn1. Perhaps someone who comes in contact with Tarintino should suggest that he work together with his buddies over at Dragon Dynasty to release this film under the DD label. BTW, was the copy that Tarintino showing widescreen?

I have the FLK version and it has the missing "snake fighting monkey scene". I'm not sure what else was taken out, but I've seen 3 different versions of this movie over the years. The best version was a VHS tape I used to rent way back when, bright clear print and the animal fighting scene intact, not sure who released that one, possibly Ocean Shores?

http://www.kungfumovies.net/14394.html

I have not seen this version so don`t know about quality.It`s full screen:(.

I have this DVD. The quality is good compared with other indy releases. It's not Celestial quality mind you, but the colors are bright and stable for the most part. It's definitely worth the money if you can find it cheap.

Here are some screens from the pal dvd i have released by 'Imperial Entertainment' (ofcourse this is unsurprisingly cut too). I think it's the same as 'Prism Leisure Corporation' but don't quote me on that.

sims1.jpg

sims2.jpg

sims3.jpg

I agree. If Tarentino does have the uncut version, he should release it for Dragon Dynasty. That would be a gem for kung fu fans as it was a really good kung fu classic.

Righteous Master

Hey, that quality is pretty good! I am surprized how good it is compared to the version that I have at my house right now. I am going to have to buy this one. Thanks for the pics dMG.

Righteous Master
I agree. If Tarentino does have the uncut version, he should release it for Dragon Dynasty. That would be a gem for kung fu fans as it was a really good kung fu classic.

It is too bad that there was not a way for us to petition Dragon Dynasty so that they could see the demand for Tarentino's version of the film. After all, DD is just like any other business. If there is potential for big profits people get things done. Then again, perhaps QT does not want to release his version of the film for everyone else to own. Perhaps he wishes to keep this gem for himself alone. I sure hope not. As a kung fu fan himself (QT) he should know that we share the same desires for great unedited MA films.

Righteous Master

I can just imagine it now... a full version of the film with the missing 20 minutes put back in. Widescreen presentation. Each frame beautifuly restored along with great sounds. the option of English dubbs or the original language with subtitles.

Then there would be interviews. QT could tells us all where and how he obtained this copy of the film and how delighted he is to present is to us along with DD films. Then onto an interview with the director and leading man recalling their experiences and memories during filming and how the film impacted their lives. And finally, a commentary by QT himself and another kung fu fanatic of DD's choosing.

If only this were not a dream but reality.

I just checked the run time on the disc. The box says 100 minutes but the film only runs 81 minutes while the site on the previous page lists it as 90!

Snake In The Monkeys Shadow has to be one of my FAV movies of alltime!! Pure class all the way!!

The opening fight scene between Pomson Shi vs Charlie Chan in the forest is legendary!!

Been watching the fullscreen version for years then a few years ago I got hold of the FLK version, which is UNCUT and in full widescreen!!

Trust me when I say watching the movie in widescreen was like a whole new fresh viewing experience! I must have watched it like 7 times in the first few days alone!!

My dream would be to see this in a celestial type glass remaster fully uncut with extra fight scenes. If only Tarantino could be convinced somehow.

Toby has Snake In The Monkeys Shadow on reels which he wants to release, but is waiting till he can find the original old language dub before he does.

Snake In The Monkeys Shadow in my opinion 9/10!!

Classic kung fu at its best!

Tarantino's print is reportedly still cut, whilst I don't think Toby has the print, but is trying to obtain it and another one from HK TV. He's mentioned avoiding a lousy Mandarin re-dub and wants to head after the original.

Who knows what'll happen ;).