What Kung Fu do you remember walking out of?

NoKUNGFUforYU

NoKUNGFUforYU

I don't mean turning off, I mean getting up and leaving the theater. I was watching the beginning of Clones of Bruce Lee and Bolo was "training" one of them and I said "fuck this, I'm not watching this crap" and left. It was a $.99 triple feature, so I had already seen 2 movies. I used to watch all 3 though, so that's how much I hated Bruceploitation movies. Anyone else just get up and go back in the day?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't mean turning off, I mean getting up and leaving the theater. I was watching the beginning of Clones of Bruce Lee and Bolo was "training" one of them and I said "fuck this, I'm not watching this crap" and left. It was a $.99 triple feature, so I had already seen 2 movies. I used to watch all 3 though, so that's how much I hated Bruceploitation movies. Anyone else just get up and go back in the day?

That's a great story, quote, and move!

I'd have loved to see Clones on the big screen!

To shout that from the highest mountain would be a masterpiece of understatement!

Among those KF Features I've seen on the Big Screen:

FIST OF FURY

DRUNKEN MASTER

GAME OF DEATH

DRAGON PRINCESS

INFRA-MAN

I was there during the 'Kung fu Boom' so I saw many 'classics' at the cinema during that time but I never walked out on any...even though some were...well less than classic! Screenings were brilliant in those days...it was almost like a live event with heightened anticipation. There were some real clunkers on at Kung fu all-nighters in Liverpool....the best films were shown first (Tiger & Crane Fists etc) and then standards dropped with each successive flick!

NoKUNGFUforYU

I started watching in 1973, so it was not always novel, and I did go to some el cheapo theaters. There was a certain amount of risk being the only white dude in the theater in Chinatown or Oakland or Down San Francisco at that time. Racial tensions were high, and 99 cent theaters were in really bad neighborhoods. Anyway, I lost count of what I saw the on the big screen, for example for Fu Sheng alone-

Man of Iron (1972)

Four Riders (1972) ... Soldier in nightclub [extra]

Five Shaolin Masters (1974) ... Ma Chao-Hsing

Men from the Monastery (1974) ... Fong Sai Yuk (Fang Shih Yu)

Heroes Two (1974) ... Fang Shih Yu

Shaolin Martial Arts (1974) ... Li Yao

Friends (1974) ... Du Jia-Ji

Disciples of Shaolin (1975) ... Guan Feng Yi

Marco Polo (1975) ... Li Xiongfeng

Seven Man Army (1976) ... Private He Hong Fa

Boxer Rebellion (1976) ... Tsang Hin Hon

Shaolin Temple (1976) ... Fang Shih Yu

New Shaolin Boxers (1976) ... Zhong Jian

The Shaolin Avengers (1976) ... Fang Shiyu

Chinatown Kid (1977) ... Tang Dong

The Naval Commandos (1977) ... Xiao Liu

The Avenging Eagle (1978) ... Double Sword Sleeve Cheuk Yi Fan

Life Gamble (1979) ... Yun Xiang

Heaven and Hell (1980) ... Chen Ding

After the 80's started, I pretty much dropped out of martial arts. My instructor was an ego maniac, I and I was tired of all the injuries and so on. It was a fringe sport, with lots of weirdos (myself included I guess) and was not catnip to the ladies. MMA is different and not so mystical, so being a young martial artist would be different now

. As the years went on, I found out that a lot of what I learned was impractical, so that further made me lose interest. Eventually I just looked at them as pure fantasy, and I started enjoying them again.

If I wasn't on a date, I would have walked out of "The Man with the Iron Fists."

^ I watched this one for free and still wanted a refund...... it's pretty bad.

unfortunately I was born in '81 so I never saw any of the classic kung fu movies on the big screen.

I was there during the 'Kung fu Boom' so I saw many 'classics' at the cinema during that time but I never walked out on any...even though some were...well less than classic! Screenings were brilliant in those days...it was almost like a live event with heightened anticipation. There were some real on at Kung fu all-nighters in Liverpool....the best films were shown first (Tiger & Crane Fists etc) and then standards dropped with each successive flick!

You were lucky Shukocarl, in London back in the days of 'Late Night' the best film was always second, after a weapons flick, mainly swords. A few times the first movie was so boring, I would fall off to sleep (wasn't into weapons, (it was all about 'Shapes!') and not wake until the end of the blockbuster! It took me 2 visits to late night before I finally saw all of Warriors Two!

bless:cool:

NoKUNGFUforYU

Rebel Intruders with the Venoms. Man, I did not like the Venoms. I walked out and that would be the last time I would go to the Great Star for at least a decade or so. The were doing all the flips and flops and I was just thinking "this shit is weak". It was just too prance-y dance-y, and at the time I was getting really into tournament competition. Either do straight up Shapes(Jackie Chan was coming up HUGE at the time) without all the two men cartwheel stuff or give me some Tan Tao Liang.

I have softened my views a little, but I have a bunch of venoms movies on my hard drive that I just don't bother to watch to this day. Liked Crippled Avengers and a few of them, but Chang Cheh was all out of ideas by 1976. I am sure this puts me on a lot of peoples shit list, but hey, to each their own.

Well you know I am in agreement with to a certain extent as far as some of the Venoms fight scenes go.. I definitely like some of their films as well though. I haven't seen Rebel Intruders.

What Venoms flicks do you like NoKF?

Killer Meteor

Invincible Shaolin has a good story, but it's very poor in other departments. The music score is a particular hinderence.

NoKUNGFUforYU

I liked the to section staff and so wig chun in the flick. Also, it was nice to see a change movie without the hung gar style in it to be honest.

NoKUNGFUforYU

I liked the to section staff and so wig chun in the flick. Also, it was nice to see a chang cheh movie without the hung gar style in it to be honest.

NoKUNGFUforYU

I remember one I sat through where the avenging hero found Jesus, literally, a white dude that looks like Jesus. I must have been stuck waiting for the other movie.

Archived