ASIAN FILM SCREENING by Subway Cinema, NYC

KUNG FU BOB

• Administrator

Subway Cinema is a group (of awesome cats) that are probably best known for putting on the New York Asian Film Festival. But what many don't know is that they have many other events and screenings throughout the year. So for those that don't subscribe to their newsletter (You really should, especially if you're local. :angel:) I thought it would be a good idea to start sharing their screening schedule here (An idea I got from Ken Hashibe doing the same for the New Beverly Theater in LA) to help promote these screenings and give Tri-state area fans a heads up. So I'll update this thread as I get each newsletter. These screenings are always fun, and I highly recommend you go if you can.

This week alone they're screening both NAKED KILLER and MYSTERY OF CHESS BOXING! :nerd: Clarence Fok and Joseph Kuo madness in 35 mm!!! :tongue:

SCREENINGS THIS WEEK!

TOP STRIPPER

December 11th at Japan Society

Directed by Yoshimitsu Morita, 1982

Japan, 67 min.

Part of The Dark Side of the Sun: John Zorn on Japanese Cinema

EXTREME PRIVATE EROS: LOVE SONG 1974

December 8th, 20th and 23rd at the Spectacle Theater

Directed by Kazuo Hara, 1974

Japan, 98 min.

DIVORCE IRANIAN STYLE

December 9th, 14th, and 20th at the Spectacle Theater

Directed by Kim Longinotto and Ziba Mir-Hosseini, 1998

Iran/England, 80 min.

NAKED KILLER

December 11th, and 16th at the Spectacle Theater

Directed by Clarence Fok Yiu-leung, 1992

Hong Kong, 93 min.

UMUT (HOPE)

December 13th, and 17th at the Spectacle Theater

Directed by Yilmaz Güney, 1970

Turkey, 100 min.

SONGS FROM THE NORTH

December 10th at BAM Rose Cinemas (screening followed by Q&A with director)

Directed by Soon Mi-Yoo, 2014, 72 min.

ALIVE

December 14th at BAM Rose Cinemas

Directed by Park Jung-bum, 2014, 175 min.

MYSTERY OF CHESS BOXING

December 11th at Nitehawk Cinema

Directed by Joseph Kuo, 1979, 90 min.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought it would be a good idea to start sharing their screening schedule here (An idea I got from Ken Hashibe doing the same for the New Beverly Theater in LA) to help promote these screenings and give Tri-state area fans a heads up. So I'll update this thread as I get each newsletter. These screenings are always fun, and I highly recommend you go if you can.

This week alone they're screening both NAKED KILLER and MYSTERY OF CHESS BOXING! :nerd: Clarence Fok and Joseph Kuo madness in 35 mm!!! :tongue:

Just reading about the screenings at the Subway Cinema is exciting. I wish there were theaters like this and the New Beverly everywhere. Mystery of Chessboxing is a movie that I've been dying to see on the big screen. I hope you go and enjoy it. Totally sounds like a lot of fun. Hopefully the New Beverly will borrow the print from Portland and screen it. Hope those who can will make it out to some of these screenings!

• Administrator
Just reading about the screenings at the Subway Cinema is exciting. I wish there were theaters like this and the New Beverly everywhere. Mystery of Chessboxing is a movie that I've been dying to see on the big screen. I hope you go and enjoy it. Totally sounds like a lot of fun. Hopefully the New Beverly will borrow the print from Portland and screen it. Hope those who can will make it out to some of these screenings!

Ken, I wasn't able to go due to my work right now. But I would've loved to go.

Thanks for the inspiration to start this post- after reading your New Beverly thread. :bigsmile:

Ken, I wasn't able to go due to my work right now. But I would've loved to go.

Thanks for the inspiration to start this post- after reading your New Beverly thread. :bigsmile:

No problem. Thanks for posting about the schedule. Sounds like fun. If you do go, please post your experiences!

• Administrator

THE MIDNIGHT AFTER (NY Premiere)

December 18th, 8:30PM at BAMcinématek

Directed by Fruit Chan, 2014

Hong Kong, 124 min.

Paranoia abounds in Fruit Chan’s latest, a delirious genre bender that finds 16 minibus passengers alone in an eerily empty Hong Kong after a late night ride home. Reluctantly united against an unknown enemy, Chan's stellar cast of unwitting survivors (Lam Suet, Simon Yam) set up headquarters in a cafe and attempt to figure out what force has changed their city overnight. Like George Romero, Chan mixes social satire with serious fun—including the spectre of an unrecognizable Hong Kong and David Bowie-inspired musical numbers.

NAKED KILLER

December 16th at the Spectacle Theater

Directed by Clarence Fok Yiu-leung, 1992

Hong Kong, 93 min.

UMUT (HOPE)

December 17th at the Spectacle Theater

Directed by Yilmaz Güney, 1970

Turkey, 100 min.

DIVORCE IRANIAN STYLE

December 20th at the Spectacle Theater

Directed by Kim Longinotto and Ziba Mir-Hosseini, 1998

Iran/England, 80 min.

December 20th and 23rd at the Spectacle Theater

Japan, 98 min.

PERSEPOLIS

December 19th at The Museum of the Moving Image

Directed by Marjane Satrapi, Vincent Parronaud, 2007

Iran / France, 95 min.

WALTZ WITH BASHIR

December 20th at The Museum of the Moving Image

Directed by Ari Folman, 2008

Israel, 90 min.

THE MIDNIGHT AFTER (NY Premiere)

December 18th, 8:30PM at BAMcinématek

Directed by Fruit Chan, 2014

Hong Kong, 124 min.

I've heard that this movie's pretty good. I love the review by Kozo of LoveHKFilm.com: "One of Hong Kong's most interesting and entertaining recent films despite the fact that it doesn't make much sense." Enjoy!

• Administrator

For those that haven't seen it, PAPRIKA is a magical movie experience, and one of the coolest things I've ever seen in a theater. Highly recommended! :bigsmile:

NEW RELEASE IN THEATERS

LOVE ON THE CLOUD (WEI AI)

Opens December 24th at AMC Empire 25

Directed by Gu Changwei and starring Angelababy and Chen He

China, 99 min., 2014

In this searing look into modern love in Beijing, Gu, an artist with dreams of becoming a film director, meets Xiaoxi, a beautiful model, over his mobile messaging app. Meanwhile, Gu's friend, A-Gua, also meets his new girlfriend on the same mobile app. All is well until A-Gua introduces Gu to a powerful investor, whose creative demands spark a dispute between the two friends, resulting in A-Gua’s opportunistic girlfriend leaving him for the cinematographer and becoming the new lead actress in the film.

Check out the Trailer!

SCREENINGS

ANTONIO GAUDÍ

Starts December 23rd at the Film Society of Lincoln Center | Elinor Bunin Munroe Film Center

Directed by Hiroshi Teshigahara, 1984

Japan, 72 min.

View the modernist architecture of Antonio Gaudí through the eyes of Japanese auteur, Hiroshi Teshigahara.

December 23rd at the Spectacle Theater

Japan, 98 min.

PAPRIKA

December 27th at the Museum of the Moving Image

Directed by Satoshi Kon, 2006

Japan, 90 min.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

• Administrator

SCREENINGS:

Museum of the Moving Image - Curators' Choice

THE WIND RISES

January 3rd at the Museum of the Moving Image

Directed by Hayao Miyazaki, 2013

Japan, 126 min., Japanese with English subtitles

Reported to be Japanese master Miyazaki’s final film, The Wind Rises is a wondrous retelling of the life of Jiro Horikoshi, the visionary engineer whose innovative airplane designs for the Japanese military pushed the country’s aviation program to new heights—and ultimately sowed the seeds for the horrors of WWII. Overflowing with breathtaking imagery and profound reflections on creativity, this is a poignant farewell from Japan’s most beloved living filmmaker.

STRAY DOGS

January 4th at the Museum of the Moving Image

Directed by Tsai Ming-liang, 2013

Taiwan, 2013

The latest opus from iconoclastic Taiwanese auteur Tsai Ming-liang follows a destitute family as they wander the margins of a subtly surreal, perpetually rain-soaked Taipei in a gritty, dreamlike series of vividly composed tableau shots.

Spectacle Theater - Best of Spectacle 2014

THE EMPEROR'S NAKED ARMY MARCHES ON

January 2nd, 7th, 25th, 26th at The Spectacle Theater

Directed by Kazuo Hara, 1988

Japan, 122 min.

THE SNOW WOMAN

January 3rd, 6th, 14th, 18th, 27th at The Spectacle Theater

Directed by Tokuzô Tanaka, 1968

Japan, 79 min.

TURKISH PARANORMAL ACTIVITY

January 2nd at The Spectacle Theater

Turkey, 119 min.

Directed by Hasan Karacadağ, 2012

IN THEATERS:

LOVE ON THE CLOUD (WEI AI)

Now Playing at AMC Empire 25

Directed by Gu Changwei and starring Angelababy and Chen He

China, 99 min., 2014

In this searing look into modern love in Beijing, Gu, an artist with dreams of becoming a film director, meets Xiaoxi, a beautiful model, over his mobile messaging app. Meanwhile, Gu's friend, A-Gua, also meets his new girlfriend on the same mobile app. All is well until A-Gua introduces Gu to a powerful investor, whose creative demands spark a dispute between the two friends, resulting in A-Gua’s opportunistic girlfriend leaving him for the cinematographer and becoming the new lead actress in the film.

Check out the Trailer!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Oh, The Wind Rises! Nice. Haven't seen it yet, but I'm a fan of Hayao Miyazaki films so I'd definitely see that one. Also, I love those Turkish movies titles. Turkish Paranormal Activity? I've only heard of Turkish Rambo, or Turkish Star Wars, etc. They all look hilarious.

• Administrator
Oh, The Wind Rises! Nice. Haven't seen it yet, but I'm a fan of Hayao Miyazaki films so I'd definitely see that one. Also, I love those Turkish movies titles. Turkish Paranormal Activity? I've only heard of Turkish Rambo, or Turkish Star Wars, etc. They all look hilarious.

Yes, Miyazaki was a genius! I'd love to see one of his films on a giant screen. Can't make this one though because I have the flu. :cry:

The first film I saw of his was back in the late '80s or early '90s- a bargain price VHS I found of NAUSICAA OF THE VALLEY OF THE WIND (1984) under the title WARRIORS OF THE WIND. I had no idea what it was, but bought it based on the cool creature designs on the cover. It was cropped and English dubbed, but I was mesmerized! The "poison forest"? Simply incredible, and so different than anything I'd ever seen. The only thing that had ever even come close was when I saw the bizarre, classic, French science fiction film FANTASTIC PLANET (1973, aka. La Planete Sauvage) as a kid. For those reading this that haven't seen it, it's a fascinating and disturbing story about these giant humanoid creatures that keep humans as pets/playthings. Highly recommended. But I digress... I still have some Miyazaki films to watch that I haven't seen, and I love that I have them to look forward to. My wife is not into animation, but I got her to watch SPIRITED AWAY and she really dug it.

I haven't seen any Turkish films that I can recall. My cousin's husband is from Turkey, so I'll ask him if there's anything he can recommend. He may even have some far out movies I could borrow.

Yes, Miyazaki was a genius! I'd love to see one of his films on a giant screen. Can't make this one though because I have the flu. :cry:

I still have some Miyazaki films to watch that I haven't seen, and I love that I have them to look forward to. My wife is not into animation, but I got her to watch SPIRITED AWAY and she really dug it.

I haven't seen any Turkish films that I can recall. My cousin's husband is from Turkey, so I'll ask him if there's anything he can recommend. He may even have some far out movies I could borrow.

Miyazaki films are all great and have very impressive animation. I've seen almost all of his movies. I've seen only two of his movies on the big screen: Castle in the Sky and Spirited Away. Those are probably my two favorite of his, but the movie of his I've seen the most times is Castle of Cagliostro. It's his first directed film and it's extremely watchable. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's a whole lot of fun.

I actually haven't seen any Turkish movies either, but I've heard some of them are really funny (if unintentionally). I don't think I've heard of any Turkish films that people haven't made fun of. :tongue: One of the most popular Turkish cult-classics is Turkish Rambo (a.k.a Rampage). Here's a trailer:

YDugy8JuhTg

It'd be interesting to see what kind of Turkish movie recommendations you get. Maybe there is some classic material in Turkish cinema that we haven't heard of. We'll see.

Secret Executioner

As far as Turkish cinema goes, you can also have serious if not artsy stuff - Nuri Bilge Ceylan's Winter Sleep (a 3 hours+ drama that won the Palme d'Or at Cannes last year) for instance. If you're in the mood for a rather slow movie with beautiful landscapes, check it out. I liked the atmosphere and the characters - though there aren't many of them - but it may feel a bit long at times - hey, don't go in expecting "Turkish Captain America: The Winter Soldier" or something. :tongue:

Personally, I'd put this in my top 5 2014 movies.

• Administrator

SCREENINGS:

Spectacle Theater - Best of Spectacle 2014

THE SNOW WOMAN

January 6th, 14th, 18th, 27th at The Spectacle Theater

Directed by Tokuzô Tanaka, 1968

Japan, 79 min.

THE EMPEROR'S NAKED ARMY MARCHES ON

January 7th, 25th, 26th at The Spectacle Theater

Directed by Kazuo Hara, 1988

Japan, 122 min.

NEW RELEASE IN THEATERS:

TEVAR

Opens Friday, January 9th at UA Kaufman Astoria Cinemas and RPX

Directed by Amit Ravindernath Sharma, 2015

India, 159 minutes

One Armed Boxer
I actually haven't seen any Turkish movies either, but I've heard some of them are really funny (if unintentionally). I don't think I've heard of any Turkish films that people haven't made fun of. :tongue: One of the most popular Turkish cult-classics is Turkish Rambo (a.k.a Rampage). Here's a trailer:

YDugy8JuhTg

It'd be interesting to see what kind of Turkish movie recommendations you get. Maybe there is some classic material in Turkish cinema that we haven't heard of. We'll see.

Hey Ken, there's an interesting thread about Turkish pop cinema here -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22954

• Administrator

IN THEATERS:

TAKING OF TIGER MOUNTAIN

Now Playing at AMC Empire 25

Directed by Tsui Hark, 2015

China/Hong Kong, 141 minutes

Tsui Hark's (NYAFF 2011 Lifetime Achievement Award) thrilling adaptation of Qu Bo’s beloved adventure novel stars Tony LEUNG Ka-fai as a ruthless bandit, ruling the lands of Northeast China from his fortress on Tiger Mountain.

TEVAR

Now Playing at AMC Empire 25 and UA Kaufman Astoria Cinemas and RPX

Directed by Amit Ravindernath Sharma, 2015

India, 159 minutes

COMING SOON TO THEATERS:

KILLERS

Opens January 23rd at Village East Cinema

Directed by Kimo Stamboel, Timo Tjahjanto, 2014

Japan, Indonesia, 137 minutes

Noelle Shadow Kick

KILLERS

Ahhh I missed this one at JapanCuts this year, I'm glad it's getting another release! I'll have to see this one.

• Administrator
Ahhh I missed this one at JapanCuts this year, I'm glad it's getting another release! I'll have to see this one.

I missed it too. Based on the trailer it looks good.

I was so tempted to see Tsui Hark's new one, but I've been fighting a terrible bout of bronchitis for weeks. Can't go to the theater when you have a bad cough! :crossedlips: Tsui's films are magnificent on the big screen though. Even though SEVEN SWORDS has problems (but I still really like it), it was still so impressive in the theater.

odioustrident

I was hoping to see Taking of Tiger Mountain this weekend if anyone wants to do a kfcinema collective viewing.

Noelle Shadow Kick
I was hoping to see Taking of Tiger Mountain this weekend if anyone wants to do a kfcinema collective viewing.

I would be down, this was definitely one I wanted to see. I'm not 100% sure if I can this weekend, but I'll send along my info and see if we can work out a time!

• Administrator

I would be down, this was definitely one I wanted to see. I'm not 100% sure if I can this weekend, but I'll send along my info and see if we can work out a time!

Damn, wish I could come. Hope you guys get to see it though. Have fun if you do, and please let us all know how it is. :nerd:

• Administrator

SCREENINGS THIS WEEK:

A KIM JONG-IL PRODUCTION

January 27th at SVA Theatre, 6:45pm, $10

A discussion with Paul Fischer, author of the newly released book A KIM JONG-IL PRODUCTION and a screening of MY MOTHER AND HER GUEST (1961), directed by Shin Sang-Ok, the prolific South Korean director who was kidnapped by the North.

DISCOUNT ticket price of $7 available using the promotional code, SVA2015 when purchasing tickets online (discount not available at the box office).

MATANGO (ATTACK OF THE MUSHROOM PEOPLE)

January 23rd, at Japan Society

Directed by Ishiro Honda, 1963

Japan, 89 min.

From the director of GODZILLA, Honda's MATANGO utilizes imaginative monster costumes while also engaging with social and moral commentary about contemporary Japan.

WHY DON'T YOU PLAY IN HELL

January 23rd, at The Museum of the Moving Image

Directed by Sion Sono, 2013

Japan, 129 min.

A back-to-bloody-basics film that pays tribute to old-school yakuza cinema and low-budget amateur filmmaking. From director Sion Sono and an NYAFF 2014 selection.

IN THEATERS:

KILLERS

One man in Tokyo. One in Jakarta. A serial killer and a vigilante. A bizarre and psychotic rivalry begins – and the face-to-face showdown that’s coming will paint the city in blood.

Whoa! Good week for movies. Did you guys know about the first one? Yes, Capn' Crazy Pants kidnapped a director so he'd make him a film!

MATANGO was a creepy flick when I was a kid, and surprisingly... still creepy now.

Why Don't You Play in Hell has been shown a lot here in LA and I've heard it's really good. I don't know if you've gotten to see it yet, but I think it looks pretty good. Great lineup this week! Enjoy!

• Administrator

IN THEATERS:

THE TALE OF PRINCESS KAGUYA

Now playing at IFC Center

Directed by Isao Takahata, 137 min.

Japan, 2013

Academy Award nominee for Best Animated Feature

Legendary Studio Ghibli co-founder Takahata (Grave of the Fireflies, Pom Poko) revisits an ancient Japanese folktale in this gorgeous, hand- drawn masterwork decades in the making.

SCREENINGS THIS WEEK:

HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE

January 30th and 31st at Landmark Sunshine Cinema

Directed by Hayao Miyazaki, 119 min.

Japan, 2005

Visionary director Hayao Miyazaki's (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke) animated adventure brims with imagination, humor, action and romance.

COMING SOON:

A KIM JONG-IL PRODUCTION

February 4th at SVA Theatre, 6:45pm, $10

(Date changed due to recent weather)

A discussion with Paul Fischer, author of the newly released book A KIM JONG-IL PRODUCTION and a screening of MY MOTHER AND HER GUEST (1961), directed by Shin Sang-Ok, the prolific South Korean director who was kidnapped by the North.

Archived