Zhongkui - Snow Girl And The Dark Crystal (2015) - New Wuxia with Li Bing Bing

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

After Fan Bing Bing took centre stage in the CGI heavy wuxia 'The White Haired Witch of Lunar Kingdom' earlier this year, 2015 will be the other Bing Bing's turn, as Li Bing Bing stars in the equally long titled 'Zhongkui - Snow Girl and The Dark Crystal'. One things for sure based on what can be seen in the below trailer, the director must have enjoyed 'Maleficent'.:tongue:

Rzgj_LgH87w

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks interesting - I am in.

It looks like there will be a lot of movies competing for the Chinese New Year’s audience.

So far, on my last count, there is 7 movies that will be release on CNY.

Dragon’s Blade – Jackie Chan, Adrien Brody, John Cusack.

From Vegas to Macau 2- Chow Yun-fat

Zhong Kui: Snow Girl and the Dark Crystal – Li Bingbing, Chen Kun

An Inspector Call - Louis Koo, Eric Tsang, Gordan Lam

Bride Wars – Ni Ni & Angelababy

Emperor’s Holiday – Jimmy Lin

Wolf Tatum – Feng Shaofeng

Also on my last inquire while in Asia I was told that Iceman 2 was moved from December to February.

Does someone know who's directing this? Looks not especially great, but I'll watch it anyway.
Zhao Tianyu & Paul Pau - 3rd time in the directors chair for both.

Zhao Tianyu - The Law of Attraction & Deadly Delicious (Shuang Shi Ji).

Paul Pau - The Touch & Misty (Wu du qing chou).

Though it may be the 3rd time in the directors chair for Paul Pau but he have a lot of experience behind the camera as a cinematographer/director of photography - Confucious, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, The Bride with White Hair, The Swordsman, Naked Killer, Bury Me High, Savior of the Soul, The Promise, Treasure Hunt, Phantom Lover, Bride of Chucky, Shoot 'Em Up, Special ID.... name a few.

Secret Executioner

Pau Pau's got quite a resume apparently. Very diversified (we go from a Wu Xia to horror to modern day action and some others).

One Armed Boxer
Looks CGI heavy, but pretty nice nonetheless.

I agree, if anything the evolution of CGI in China productions has actually been beneficial to the wuxia genre. Gone are the endless discussions which used to take place complaining that guys like Yuen Biao & Donnie Yen have been cast in a wuxia but all they do is fly about, and now with the current technology we can just focus on the chivalrous and fantastical martial arts world that these movies have always been supposed to be about. I'll watch it.

Zhao Tianyu & Paul Pau - 3rd time in the directors chair for both.

Zhao Tianyu - The Law of Attraction & Deadly Delicious (Shuang Shi Ji).

Paul Pau - The Touch & Misty (Wu du qing chou).

You mean Peter Pau.

You mean Peter Pau.
Yep, mean to type Peter Pau Tak-Hei. my bad .:squigglemouth:

I hate it when I type on my phone, dumb autofill/correct . :tinysmile_angry2_t:

On a separate note.

It would be great if this forum had a mobile version, especially for those on the go like myself.

As you reading this the-powers-to-be.:crossedlips:

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

New release coming soon:

Snow Girl and the Dark Crystal (2015)

Director: Zhao Tianyu

Cast:

Chen Kun

Li Bingbing

Winston Chao

Bao Beier

Yang Zishan

Summer Jike

Also Known As:

Chao Piao Fei

Language: Mandarin

Release Date: 19 February 2015

Genre: Drama, Action, Adventure, Horror, Fantasy

Trailer:

Rzgj_LgH87w

Zhongkui-Snow-Girl-and-the-Dark-Crystal-2015-5.jpg

Zhongkui-Snow-Girl-and-the-Dark-Crystal-2015-13.jpg

Zhongkui-Snow-Girl-and-the-Dark-Crystal-2015-16.jpg

GD Y-Y

Went to see it last week and, frankly, to call this utter rubbish would still be an understatement! A laughably silly CGI orgy of epic proportions, zero chemistry between Li Bing Bing and Chen Kun, compared to this THE WHITE HAIRED WITCH OF LUNAR KINGDOM was a friggin' masterpiece! Not that there was any chemistry between Huang Xiaoming and Fan Bing Bing, but at least it had some pretty serviceable Tung Wai designed action, ZHONG KUI has nothing but computer game 'fights'. Lousy film!

As someone who enjoyed the widely despised THE PROMISE immensely I am still looking forward to watching this film. The trailer alone looks much more promising than the bland borefest that is WHITE HAIRED WITCH.

Went to see it last week and, frankly, to call this utter rubbish would still be an understatement! A laughably silly CGI orgy of epic proportions, zero chemistry between Li Bing Bing and Chen Kun, compared to this THE WHITE HAIRED WITCH OF LUNAR KINGDOM was a friggin' masterpiece! Not that there was any chemistry between Huang Xiaoming and Fan Bing Bing, but at least it had some pretty serviceable Tung Wai designed action, ZHONG KUI has nothing but computer game 'fights'. Lousy film!

What did you think of Painted Skin: Resurrection?

What did you think of Painted Skin: Resurrection?

Far from great, inferior to Pt. 1 (and not just because od Donnie's absence), but still a lot better than ZHONG KUI. Overall it was better written, had an undeniable charm to it and was far superior in the acting department (thanks in particular to its convincing female leads Zhou Xun and Yang Mi). They also had excellent natural sets and the landcape shooting was much more impressive. As I said already, ZHONG KUI really qualifies as a CGI orgy.

Far from great, inferior to Pt. 1 (and not just because od Donnie's absence), but still a lot better than ZHONG KUI. Overall it was better written, had an undeniable charm to it and was far superior in the acting department (thanks in particular to its convincing female leads Zhou Xun and Yang Mi). They also had excellent natural sets and the landcape shooting was much more impressive. As I said already, ZHONG KUI really qualifies as a CGI orgy.

Sounds like we mostly agree on Painted Skin 2, I haven't seen part 1. I asked or your thoughts on it because while I didn't think Painted Skin 2 was great, I really enjoyed it and am up for seeing similar flicks. (I did go into it with low expectations)

In light of that, I'll probably give this one(Zhong Kui)a pass.

Amazon has the soundtrack for this available on CD and MP3, release date April 7. Music is by Javier Navarette (Pan's Labyrinth, Wrath of the Titans, Byzantium).

whitesnake

Well Go USA releases this movie on Blu-ray and DVD on August 4, under the title Snow Girl and the Dark Crystal. The CD soundtrack was a limited edition and has sold out. The music is still available on MP3.

Archived