Shin Godzilla (aka Godzilla Resurgence) (2016)

Takuma

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read that Japan's reception to the new U.S. Godzilla was mixed...some liked Edwards' faithfulness to the original but complained of the how much screen time he actually got. I think the latter could be part of the reason why Toho decided to make their first Godzilla film in 12 years.

I'm all for it either way!

Secret Executioner

Reading the article more closely, it seems like a marketing ploy more than anything (did I actually read something about Godzilla becoming a "symbol of Japan by the 2020 Olympics" or something ?!). Essentially, we could get something like Son Of Godzilla, with a loveable and popular character... But we'd still be getting more of Godzilla than the EIGHT MINUTES he was on screen in the 2014 US film.

(and for the "not losing to Hollywood" part, pretty much any of the Japanese movies works, if we're talking quality-wise - Son Of Godzilla may be very low compared to other Japanese Godzilla films, but it remains above the US films)

What has me curious is the idea of a sequel to the new US film being in works as well... Can the two different versions co-exist (like the two renditions of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in the Marvel Cinematic Universe AND in the X-Men movies, which are two different universes) ? How long 'till a crossover occurs (hopefully longer than

) ?

Noelle Shadow Kick

I find it annoying when people act like they know so much about the Japanese Godzilla movies and complain that there isn't enough Godzilla in the new film.

WTF Godzilla movie were you watching? The old films often were about the people the whole time, had a couple glimpses at a kaiju, and then featured a fight at the end.

If you want to complain about the new movie not having enough Godzilla, that's fine, but then don't compare it to the old ones.

That said, the fact that the Toho reps said that while they can't match the Hollywood budget so they plan on using CGI is troubling. A totally CGI Godzilla on a low budget is not something I want to see.

Exactly my thoughts. Godzilla is probably in the movies for less than 15 minutes on average, especially Heisei and newer.

Cheap CGI Godzilla sounds bad, and finally, the new movie was pretty good.

I find it annoying when people act like they know so much about the Japanese Godzilla movies and complain that there isn't enough Godzilla in the new film.

WTF Godzilla movie were you watching? The old films often were about the people the whole time, had a couple glimpses at a kaiju, and then featured a fight at the end.

If you want to complain about the new movie not having enough Godzilla, that's fine, but then don't compare it to the old ones.

That said, the fact that the Toho reps said that while they can't match the Hollywood budget so they plan on using CGI is troubling. A totally CGI Godzilla on a low budget is not something I want to see.

FTA:

“The time has come for Japan to make a film that will not lose to Hollywood.”

And with news of a sequel of Edwards' Godzilla, it sounds like we're going to see a shootout. Fingers crossed that we get something spectacular in the end.

My problem with Edwards Godzilla is once G and the mutos got fighting they kept switching back to the humans, it started getting frustrating, especially since I could care less about them, except Cranston, shame they killed him off so early.

But I'll give you that, bar the original the human element seldom works, though I kind of like the 60's hippy characters that were in Gigan and the Smog Monster, but once the monsters got fighting it was all about them, with quick cuts to the humans watching it go down.

I really hope they don't go full cgi, I wouldn't mind them using it to enhance the practical effects.

Secret Executioner
My problem with Edwards Godzilla is once G and the mutos got fighting they kept switching back to the humans, it started getting frustrating, especially since I could care less about them, except Cranston, shame they killed him off so early.

But I'll give you that, bar the original the human element seldom works, though I kind of like the 60's hippy characters that were in Gigan and the Smog Monster, but once the monsters got fighting it was all about them, with quick cuts to the humans watching it go down.

I really hope they don't go full cgi, I wouldn't mind them using it to enhance the practical effects.

Well said!!! I for one, really loved Edwards' take on Godzilla. I wasn't worried about how much screen time Big-G had...the cast-driven performances really complemented the monster scenes IMO and personally, I really liked it.

Noelle Shadow Kick
Well said!!! I for one, really loved Edwards' take on Godzilla. I wasn't worried about how much screen time Big-G had...the cast-driven performances really complemented the monster scenes IMO and personally, I really liked it.

Agreed! Plus, when we DID see Godzilla, it was awesome.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I'm with you here. Once Godzilla comes a brawlin, the camera soon goes off a stallin. Maybe they had too much CGI and they wanted to keep the look of Godzilla at minimum because of this?

Holy shit! Hideaki Anno will direct!!!

- http://twitchfilm.com/2015/03/the-first-official-image-from-tohos-godzilla-and-a-director-announcement.html

This just got about 27 times more interesting!

Love & Pop is one of my favourite movies of all time, and Ritual is nearly as good. And he also directed that little know TV series called Evangelion...

My problem with Edwards' Godzilla wasn't the lack of G-time, it was the dreary, gloomy color palate. I want bright and colorful for Godzilla.

And with Shinji Higuchi involved, at least the effects should be good.

Not necessarily. Neither LORELEI, SINKING OF JAPAN nor THE LAST PRINCESS or THE FLOATING CASTLE had good effects.

Not necessarily. Neither LORELEI, SINKING OF JAPAN nor THE LAST PRINCESS or THE FLOATING CASTLE had good effects.
Oooo - and I reeeally disliked Lorelei. Higuchi - as I understand it - is going to be doing the effects for this new Godzilla project, with the other guy directing. I guess we'll see...

Every movie, even if you know and love the director, is an unknown commodity. After his 3 Gamera films and GMK, I used to think that Shusuke Kaneko could do no wrong. Then I saw Azumi II - :sad:

Oooo - and I reeeally disliked Lorelei. Higuchi - as I understand it - is going to be doing the effects for this new Godzilla project, with the other guy directing. I guess we'll see...

It's funny how everyone here is talking about Higuchi while I'm like "Higuchi who? Who cares! It's got the "the other guy" who did Love & Pop and Ritual" :khi8g:

And most Anno fans are probably like "Love and what? You mean the Evangelion guy?" :tongue:

Each to his own :bigsmile:

Every movie, even if you know and love the director, is an unknown commodity. After his 3 Gamera films and GMK, I used to think that Shusuke Kaneko could do no wrong. Then I saw Azumi II - :sad:

Do yourself a favour and don't watch Danger Dolls. Azumi 2 is a masterpiece compared to it (and no, I couldn't even get through Azumi 2 the last time I tried to watch it a few years ago).

Why does everybody hate Azumi 2? I found reasonably diverting, easily worth the rental price.

Why does everybody hate Azumi 2? I found reasonably diverting, easily worth the rental price.

I did too, when I was 18 and dreaming of marrying Aya Ueto and had my walls plastered with her posters :tongue:

(not saying you need to be 18 and her fan to like the film, though).

There are a few things and bits that I still like, e.g. claws of steel and the brief fight where she slices the villain's arm off. But the storyline is the cinematic equivalent of a sleeping pill, the fights don't quite convince most of the time, and there's even CGI blood. I don't hate it by any means but just found myself really bored watching it.

I just felt like Kaneko didn't have a feel for the material at all. Just really flat and uninspired direction, which is a biiiig disappointment coming as a sequel to the uber-stylish R. Kitamura original. I'll give it another chance eventually - I bought it after all. :squigglemouth:

I was in Tokyo during the weekend...

image11.jpg

image12.jpg

image10.jpg

Didn't stay night there though... not with my budget. Capsule for me as usual :tongue:

EMgujv90Y1o

Archived