Big Brother Cheng Thai VCD question..

Drunken Arts

Hey all, im hoping someone can help me here, i've been on the hunt for Big Brother Cheng IVL to no avail, so ordered the Thai VCD from eThai, upon ordering it i realise it has not got any Eng subs listed on the product info, but alot of the Thai VCDs do have Eng subs listed while some dont, im hoping it is a listing mistake, can any one tell me if they have it, if there are Eng subs on the VCD version?

If not, what are the files/format of a VCD, im curious if i can take the film off the disc onto my PC and add some Eng subs off of the net, then watch it that way..

EDIT: Also im going to add, i have never seen a Shaw Brother VCD before, so i have no idea what the quality is like..

I've read the Celestial VCDs are quite good in quality.. any input?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey all, im hoping someone can help me here, i've been on the hunt for Big Brother Cheng IVL to no avail, so ordered the Thai VCD from eThai, upon ordering it i realise it has not got any Eng subs listed on the product info, but alot of the Thai VCDs do have Eng subs listed while some dont, im hoping it is a listing mistake, can any one tell me if they have it, if there are Eng subs on the VCD version?

If not, what are the files/format of a VCD, im curious if i can take the film off the disc onto my PC and add some Eng subs off of the net, then watch it that way..

EDIT: Also im going to add, i have never seen a Shaw Brother VCD before, so i have no idea what the quality is like..

I've read the Celestial VCDs are quite good in quality.. any input?

I have the IVL Shaw Brothers VCDs of The Anonymous Heroes and The Notorious 8 and they both have English subtitles. I'm not 100% certain as I do not own any Thai VCDs but I believe the Thai VCDs are identical to the other releases but with Thai subtitles in addition to the usual Chinese and English subtitles.

The quality of IVL Shaw Brothers VCDs are excellent like DVD but the only thing with them is that the movies are split into 2 VCDs. To me VCDs are a last resort if you cannot find the DVD and just want to see the movie. I prefer DVD as you can watch the entire movie on 1 DVD rather than watch it split via 2 VCDs.

Thanks for the reply,

Excellent i hope this does have Eng Subs, although i read if you take the .DAT files off each disc and rename them .MPG [or .MPEG i cant remember] they will play on a PC media player [like Winamp/VLC player etc], so if failing to have ENG subs i can maybe play a .SRT [subtitles] file on my PC aswell as the .MPG video file.

I will update this thread when it arrives. :)

If it doesn't have English subs, you'll either have to join both parts of the movie or split the subtitle file in two and adjust the subtitle timing to suit.

Very surprided if if does not have subs. I have about 20 ivl vcds and all subbed.

I can sell my dvd if worst scenario happens as you have helped me in 2 hard to find shaws.

Cheers Asmo i did think of that tonight that one subtiles file would not fully work with 2 video files, i shall check out how to do what you suggested.

And Tex, thanks man, i'll try and get this sorted this way first.. hopefully saving you the hassle [and your DVD for your collection] :smile:

Cheers Asmo i did think of that tonight that one subtiles file would not fully work with 2 video files, i shall check out how to do what you suggested.

There are plenty of guides and programs on the internet. Feel free to PM me if you need anything, and I'll do what I can to assist.

Archived