Preferred Blank DVD's?

Guest HAZ74

use gigaware dvd+r from radioshack, always on sale between 5 and 13 depending on the sale week. Never had a problem with any of them and they last because I take care of them.:nerd:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone had a problem with sharpie ink bleeding thorough over the years? Don't know if it was true but I always heard that it would ruin cd's and dvd's after a while.

I bought some markers that were made for writing on DVD-R's that's not supposed to bleed, haven't had any problems with those.

Has anyone had a problem with sharpie ink bleeding thorough over the years? Don't know if it was true but I always heard that it would ruin cd's and dvd's after a while.

I bought some markers that were made for writing on DVD-R's that's not supposed to bleed, haven't had any problems with those.

I have DVD-Rs from 2004/05 that don't have any bleed through (and still play just fine).

I have DVD-Rs from 2004/05 that don't have any bleed through (and still play just fine).

I also have no problems with any of my sharpie written DVD +/-R.

The only problems I had were with those that had the paper/stick labels. After removing the labels - they worked fine.

Verbatim. They also make SD cards and External drives. Taiyo Yuden, is no more they have been bought by JVC.

Single layer Verbatim spindle packs with purple on the packaging and AZO logo.

Are you talking about the consumer or the archival grade AZO stuff?

The former is getting harder to come by, as even Verbatim has started to cheap out on their discs, and it's not what it used to be.

The latter is pretty much the best you can get, but runs around $160 per 50.

...even Verbatim has started to cheap out on their discs, and it's not what it used to be...

That's sad. I know you buy whatever you want online, but after Fujifilm stopped being made by Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim was my readily-available, in-store, go-to brand of choice.

Verbatim. They also make SD cards and External drives. Taiyo Yuden, is no more they have been bought by JVC.

Actually that's the exact opposite as to what really happened. Taiyo Yuden bought out JVC to try to get the Taiyo Yuden products more out there to buyers. You can read all about it over at after dawn. Maxell and Memorex are two brands you don't want to buy. I do tons of trades (non martial art movies) and I have over 1300 dvdr discs. I have made copies of videos on Maxell and Memorex discs before, a year or two later I've gone back to watch them and they freeze and won't play. Luckily, I didn't wait long enough to where the data couldn't be saved off of the discs. That's when I started doing research on the best media out there. Taiyo Yuden comes in at 1st place, Verbatim at 2nd place. I have videos that have been on Taiyo Yuden media now for about 4 years and they still play flawlessly. They're guaranteed for a hundred years (though I don't think any of us will be around for that long to find out if they hold up until then). Concerning the +r and -r concern. The only difference about that is about 93% of dvd players play -r media and about 84% of players will play +r media. I still buy Taiyo Yuden through super media store. They are as good as they ever have been. TYG02 are the best! You can get 100 pack spindles for thirty dollars (plus free shipping), which is only about ten dollars more than what you will get TDK 100 packs for on sale (when you can find them on sale)

i've been using maxell for a long time and had no problem . i think it also depends where you store them.i had a few stored where humidity was hi and then i had problems cause i can see the "stain"marks on the disc

Son Of A Gun
I have made copies of videos on Maxell and Memorex discs before, a year or two later I've gone back to watch them and they freeze and won't play.

I second that. I had some movies sent to me on Maxell and Memorex discs, and when I went to watch again 10 months later they wouldn't play anymore. Just kept freezing and breaking up into blocks. Terrible brand of discs! Cheap rubbish.

Verbatim all the way! :smile:

I totally disagree. I have hundreds of movies made on Memorex, some over 8 years old, and they all play extremely well. I have tried many brands. Verbatims, Sony, Maxell, Tayo Yuden, Fuji, Imation, Kodak, Memorex, JVC, TDK, MBI, Ridata. When used with good quality burners, you can hardly tell the difference. I've been burning movies for over 12 years and done too many thousands to remember how many but it's well over 10000! Verbatims are great, true. So are the other brands I just mentioned! The only one I would point out as less good are the Maxells as they seem to scratch easier and are slightly thinner than the other brands (at least they were 2 years ago). It all has to do with the burner used, the burning software used and how they are kept and the player used to read them. It's only my humble opinion but it's based on lots of experience! :wink:

I second that. I had some movies sent to me on Maxell and Memorex discs, and when I went to watch again 10 months later they wouldn't play anymore. Just kept freezing and breaking up into blocks. Terrible brand of discs! Cheap rubbish.

Verbatim all the way! :smile:

It all has to do with the burner used, the burning software used and how they are kept and the player used to read them. It's only my humble opinion but it's based on lots of experience! :wink:

100% agree, it's all the burner and the software. I've never understood the reviews I've read where people claim a 50pk of discs (insert brand here) were 90% coasters. I've used the same ones and never had a single issue. :squigglemouth:

the burner affect in this also,i used the burning program that came with my computer and had problems and the when i got a different program never had problems..cause when im finnaly catching up on movies that had burned like 3 years ago they still play good...but need to change 8 year old dvd player..still the first one i bought

Sorry guys but I'm gonna have to stick with my tried and true ways. I've went through quite a few burners in the last 7 or 8 years, just about any type of program out there as well. Granted I'm not saying that it isn't a bad burner but the Taiyo Yuden discs is what I go with simply because so many swear by them. I've never had one to go bad so far. They're guaranteed to last a hundred years (I know I won't be around to see if they live up to their expectations) but if they last through my lifetime that will be good enough for me lol

Son Of A Gun
100% agree, it's all the burner and the software. I've never understood the reviews I've read where people claim a 50pk of discs (insert brand here) were 90% coasters. I've used the same ones and never had a single issue. :squigglemouth:

Well that's partly because the discs can have the same brand name but be made in different countries and have different quality. Even "Verbatim" can be dodgy if your discs turn out to be made in a certain asian country. You have to put the disc in your computer and find out the code/date/location it was made, somehow. I'm no expert, I just know that the brand name isn't always the thing to go for. It's where those particular batch were made.

:D

ChineseSausage

TDK's white unlabeled DVD's have worked great for me. They do not deteriorate or have any playback problems years after you recorded them.

some people have stated it`s to do with the burner and programmes used.

could anyone tell me what burner and programme they recommend please.

some people have stated it`s to do with the burner and programmes used.

could anyone tell me what burner and programme they recommend please.

For burners, I have been using LG, Samsung and Pioneer for over 10 years without flaws.

For softwares, I use 1clickdvdcopypro, anydvd, imgburn, DVDdecrypter and nero8 (many people don't like nero but I do, but only nero8, not nero9 or nero10). All of them works very well for me.

Also, different models of burners by the same companies have different compatibility rates with various media.

Some writers just don't like certain media. It's kind of trial and error although you can look up reviews before purchasing equipment.

Archived