The Palm-Reading Samurai, And Other Supernatural-type Chambara

Shosetsu

There are some unusual Chambara films which combine the Swordplay with the Supernatural. Among the most intriguing ones is Karasudo the Palm-Reading Samurai. Karasudo is a Swordsman who is also a Palm-Reader. From what I heard about this film, the Palm-reading plays a major role in fighting against crime. A crime was committed, and the victim himself was a palm-reader. So he happened to have a copy of the perpetrator's palm-print. Into this situation comes Karasudo who uses the palm-print to track down the criminal. What he does is study the palm-print to enable him to determine the character-traits of the criminal. Using them as clues, he tracks down the perpetrator.

Acting in the role of the titular Karasudo is actor Shigeru Amachi. Much as I hate to say it, Mr. Amachi passed away quite some time ago,but he will always be remembered most notably for his role as detective Akechi Kogoro, a character created by the famous Edogawa Rampo.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The use of the Palm-reading talent for the main character is interesting because I remember also watching an episode of the TV series Soko Ga Shiritai which shows the popularity of divination in Japan. On Soko Ga Shiritai, they showed divinators who ply their trade right on the sidewalks of Tokyo. The ones that were shown were mostly those who practice I-Ching. So it seems that I-Ching is the most popular, and then maybe followed by Palmistry. So maybe that inspired the movie The Palm-reading Samurai.

There are some unusual Chambara films which combine the Swordplay with the Supernatural. Among the most intriguing ones is Karasudo the Palm-Reading Samurai. Karasudo is a Swordsman who is also a Palm-Reader. From what I heard about this film, the Palm-reading plays a major role in fighting against crime. A crime was committed, and the victim himself was a palm-reader. So he happened to have a copy of the perpetrator's palm-print. Into this situation comes Karasudo who uses the palm-print to track down the criminal. What he does is study the palm-print to enable him to determine the character-traits of the criminal. Using them as clues, he tracks down the perpetrator.

Acting in the role of the titular Karasudo is actor Shigeru Amachi. Much as I hate to say it, Mr. Amachi passed away quite some time ago,but he will always be remembered most notably for his role as detective Akechi Kogoro, a character created by the famous Edogawa Rampo.

This sounds very cool, may have to seek this one out.

Actual title is: JUROKUMON KARASUDO: THE EDO FORTUNE-TELLER

Actually,it could be either Edo Fortune-Teller or Palm-Reading Samurai, because many Asian films have alternate titles. For example, Heroes of the East was also known as Challenge of the Ninja and also Shaolin Vs. Ninja and even a fourth alternate title Shaolin Challenges Ninja. So that's an example of one movie having four titles. That's why the Karasudo movie can be either Edo Fortune-Teller or Palm-Reading Samurai. Either one.

kurotokagi have it available with english subtitles on DVD under the title JUROKUMON KARASUDO: THE EDO FORTUNE-TELLER. So if someone were looking to get a copy, that's the title they'll find it under. Try searching google under the other title gives few results.

The following brief video-clip also shows a mixture of chambara with the supernatural. I recognize the actor as Matsukata Hiroki who again shows his skill at the Sword. But I can not identify what film it is. His attire and hair-style looks like Yagyu Jubei but I don't see the characteristic eye-patch that he would wear. So I'm not sure whether it's a Yagyu film or not. Hopefully somebody can identify what film this clip shows:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=matsukata+hiroki+youtube&FORM=VIRE9#view=detail&mid=295C91E5504BE2A770D2295C91E5504BE2A770D2

It's Sarutobi Sasuke And The Army Of Darkness. A four-part series that I recently watched. Good action in this for a japanese production.

Hey, thanks, kaley. I appreciate your help. I see that it's available on dvd. At $12, it's affordable. Anything with Matsukata Hiroki is bound to have great chambara. Again, thanks, kaley. My hat's off to you.

Matsukata Hiroki is great in this; everytime he picks up a sword the guy is in a class of his own. This is a good film series. Although low(ish) budget, the acting, story, action choreography and characters are all a cut-above many big budget movies. I enjoyed it a lot and would easily recommend it.

While we're at it about Matsukata Hiroki, let me ask if you've ever seen Matsukata's series Tsukikage Hyogo (Moon-shadow Hyogo). The Hyogo character is usually impoverished, so despite his Swordsmanship, he has to often take menial jobs such as washing dishes. That gives the impression that he's also a ronin, as many ronin who don't have a daimyo-lord were forced to take menial jobs. I managed to get some dvd's of it but without subtitles. So I wonder if you or anybody knows of any subtitled versions.

I don't think it's available with english subs, I couldn't find it available at all. It's a shame, as it looks like a good show. However, I did find a few listings for it on some drama-wikis, where in the synopsys they definitely say that he plays a ronin in the show.

One of the previous posters mentioned The Magic Serpent, again starring Matsukata Hiroki. But what surprised me about that film was the appearance of actor Otomo Ryutaro. Because before seeing the Serpent movie, I saw Otomo portraying only Tange Sazen and other heroic roles. So I had seen him do only heroic-type roles. So what a shock to see Otomo playing the villain in the Serpent film. And ironically, if I'm not mistaken, Serpent was produced before all those other roles, even though I saw it afterwards.

On the other hand, Amatsu Bin, also in this film, has always portrayed villains, that is, unless somebody can find a film in which he did otherwise.

'

Matsukata Hiroki is great in this; everytime he picks up a sword the guy is in a class of his own. This is a good film series. Although low(ish) budget, the acting, story, action choreography and characters are all a cut-above many big budget movies. I enjoyed it a lot and would easily recommend it.

Not only Matsukata but his Father (Konoe Jushiro) was a great actor too. Here is Jushiro from his popular tv-series Tsukikage Hyogo (Moonshadow Hyogo):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwFVousFHnQ

Archived