Joe Dante on Lady Whirlwind (original 70's review)

Killer Meteor

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy, the establishment really looked down upon anything not labeled USA at one time, didn't they? And what of this "targeted lower-classed market"? WTF??

White folk loved Kung Fu movies too! Not all of that $5 million US. came from so-called minority communities...

Martial Arts films have never really had a good public image and are often seen as second rate entertainment. When I bring the genre up in conversations with non fans you usually get a snigger and a remark about bad dubbing. Visiting a DVD store the MA section is either non existent or very small compared with other genres. My early experiences with Kung Fu flicks was badly dubbed full screen worn out prints often cut too. It was years until I managed to see one subtitled and in widescreen.

Martial Arts films have never really had a good public image and are often seen as second rate entertainment. When I bring the genre up in conversations with non fans you usually get a snigger and a remark about bad dubbing. Visiting a DVD store the MA section is either non existent or very small compared with other genres. My early experiences with Kung Fu flicks was badly dubbed full screen worn out prints often cut too. It was years until I managed to see one subtitled and in widescreen.

This is pretty much still true today and I still get that same reaction from non-fans or the uninformed when I mention martial arts movies, particular those made in the 70's and 80's. To be a fan of martial arts flicks is still considered only for the esoteric, but that's not always such a bad thing...

NoKUNGFUforYU

After the first 5 or 10 releases, you had to go to the hood or Chinatown to see a kung fu movie. Usually the hood had the cheap stuff- Black Dragon's Revenge, Bolo- and you went to Chinatown to see Chang Cheh's stuff and later Jackie Chan. I think I read here, or a link here, that Sacred Knives of Vengeance was the death knell of the main stream releases after Enter the Dragon. There were many attempts to figure out a way to westernize the genre- Golden Needles, Cleopatra Jones and so on, but these flicks didn't have legs. Most just sucked, like watching Jim Kelly kick.Anyway, here's hoping El Rey will get the Genre respect.

To be fair, Lady Whirlwind is only a "classic" thanks to its early release date. So he's not entirely off.

Also I'm pretty sure Film Bulletin was a trade magazine meant for theater owners deciding what to book... so there's a reason he discusses potential audience prospects.

Killer Meteor
After the first 5 or 10 releases, you had to go to the hood or Chinatown to see a kung fu movie. Usually the hood had the cheap stuff- Black Dragon's Revenge, Bolo- and you went to Chinatown to see Chang Cheh's stuff and later Jackie Chan. I think I read here, or a link here, that Sacred Knives of Vengeance was the death knell of the main stream releases after Enter the Dragon. There were many attempts to figure out a way to westernize the genre- Golden Needles, Cleopatra Jones and so on, but these flicks didn't have legs. Most just sucked, like watching Jim Kelly kick.Anyway, here's hoping El Rey will get the Genre respect.

I thought Sacred Knives was the end too - the trailer was a dud for one thing. No more major studio releases after that.

This is pretty much still true today and I still get that same reaction from non-fans or the uninformed when I mention martial arts movies, particular those made in the 70's and 80's. To be a fan of martial arts flicks is still considered only for the esoteric, but that's not always such a bad thing...

Hi Shaolievil, I don't think the genres been helped by a lot of the really bad and often misleading releases of Asian films on VHS & DVD. One of the examples that springs to mind is how Police Woman was re-titled Rumble In Hong Kong to cash in on Chan's international fame in the 90's. The film was re-issued this way in the U.K by M.I.A. He only has a supporting role in this low budget basher from the 70s. It has no connection to RITB except for Chan's presence. Eastern Heroes did a lot for the genre in the U.K and you could see the guys running it were genuine fans. Still many of their DVDs misleadingly claimed to be in widescreen and Remastered. This sort of thing has never helped matters.

This does not apply to all companies past and present that sell Kung Fu films thankfully.

Archived