R.I.P. Bunta Sugawara

Takuma

This is so sad. Less than two weeks after the biggest icon of 1960s yakuza films, Ken Takakura, dies, the biggest icon of 1970s yakuza films follows him. I just watched Cops vs. Thugs on 35mm yesterday, and then I got the news today.

When Takakura died, I thought that at least I still have a chance of seeing Sugawara live some day, but that hope died faster than I expected...

yakuzagra.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, crap. :cry:

Like you say, Takuma, we've lost not one but two awesome badasses in the space of a few weeks.

RIP, Sugawara-San.

Sad,indeed,to lose two of yakuza-eiga(&Japanese cinema)'s most enduring icons in such a short amount of time.Sugawara-san,you'll be sorely missed...

Sorrowful about those two famous actors. But to cheer you folks up, there is one Yakuza-star who is still very much alive. I'm referring to Matsukata Hiroki. Among his Yakuza films, he even appeared with Sugawara Bunta in the film, Battles Without Honor Or Humanity.

I don't know whether that was the film I saw or not, but the Yakuza scene which stands out for me is the one where Matsukata Hiroki is shot, riddled with bullets when he was buying a gift for his son. That was an emotional scene which I recall vividly. I'm not sure whether that was the film where he appeared with Sugawara, so maybe one of you Yakuza buffs can verify.

Sorrowful about those two famous actors. But to cheer you folks up, there is one Yakuza-star who is still very much alive. I'm referring to Matsukata Hiroki. Among his Yakuza films, he even appeared with Sugawara Bunta in the film, Battles Without Honor Or Humanity.

I don't know whether that was the film I saw or not, but the Yakuza scene which stands out for me is the one where Matsukata Hiroki is shot, riddled with bullets when he was buying a gift for his son. That was an emotional scene which I recall vividly. I'm not sure whether that was the film where he appeared with Sugawara, so maybe one of you Yakuza buffs can verify.

It was in the first Battles Without Honor or Humanity

Archived