Fist of the Dragon (2013)

AlbertV

Bu54UXAMRgU

I came across this 2013 Australian-Chinese co-production produced by Roger Corman and directed by WUSHU helmer Antony Szeto,

Strikeforce MMA champion Josh "The Punk" Thomson makes his film debut as Damon "The Dragon" Chamberlin, a retired MMA fighter who moves to China after meeting a young woman online a year ago named Meili (Juju Chan). As they begin their relationship in person, Damon accidentally is given a package of mooncakes that have some top secret weapons hidden in them. He finds himself targeted by Thorn (Daniel Whyte), the head of a top international arms organization and as a result, Meili is kidnapped.

Ellary Porterfield, Xin Sarith Wuku, Chris Pang, Maria Tran, and Rambo Kong co-star. Trung Ly is the fight choreographer. Apparently this was a remake of Don "The Dragon" Wilson's Moving Target (which I still haven't seen).

It was released in Hong Kong last year.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maria and Trung are from my area, they've done a lot for the local community (martial arts-wise and otherwise). Happy to see them getting recognition.

I got to see the film last night...if you were a fan of the 90's straight to VHS action films, this is definitely a throwback to that genre...a fun film. I'm writing the review as we speak :)

Wait up, I'm confused.

Wasn't this movie currently getting re-shoots along with a new title? And Bruce Leung has joined the cast.

Or is this one of those ZERO TOLERANCE things? (i.e. movie was weak, let's reshoot, re-edit, throw some stars in, and release it in another country as a totally different title?)

What country is this movie from? I've seen many different countries listed on numerous sites. China, Thailand, Australia.... Anyone know for sure?

It's an Australian-Chinese co-production with American funding by Roger Corman, who produced the film. The original film was released in Hong Kong in October 2013, but yes, this is getting the RED CANVAS/ZERO TOLERANCE shift. This was the original film I saw and I enjoyed it.

THE RED CANVAS did the same...new scenes with Ving Rhames were added and it later became SUBMISSION, but I saw the original RED CANVAS and I wonder why they do this treatment...I mean the originals are good enough IMO.

Archived