THE CUB TIGER FROM KWANGTUNG German Blu-ray

TheKungFuRobber

TheKungFuRobber

A clip from a little project I am working on. (LINK:

)

The final version will be in 1080p and will have restored English subtitles.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I admire the dedication to this project, but is 1080P possible on youtube? I always associate youtube with crap quality vids.

TheKungFuRobber
1080p is available, but it looks crap. At least on my setup...

On my setup, YouTube 1080p videos look OK.

TheKungFuRobber

Hello, as some of you members may already know I am currently in the process of restoring and remastering Jackie Chan's first movie, The Cub Tiger from Kwangtung and was wondering if anyone could tell me where I could please tell me if they know the title any of the films soundtracks.

THE CUB TIGER FROM KWANGTUNG aka MASTER WITH CRACKED FINGERS will be released on blu-ray in Germany on 01/30/2015. Initial information says it will be uncut, widescreen, German and Mandarin audio with English subtitles.

TheKungFuRobber
THE CUB TIGER FROM KWANGTUNG aka MASTER WITH CRACKED FINGERS will be released on blu-ray in Germany on 01/30/2015. Initial information says it will be uncut, widescreen, German and Mandarin audio with English subtitles.

Oh well, I can abandon my crappy custom project now. :smile: Is this the 1971 version or the hilariously shite 1979 version with extra scenes with Yuen Siu Tien playing a pedo instructor and the extra bad guy and Jackie fighting blindfolded? Please don't tell me if it is...

Killer Meteor

I had the German DVD released a few years ago. It had two versions of the 1979 version

Mandarin version, 16:9 version. Very heavy DVNR, but I think that's the fault of whoever did the transfer in Asia, as it also turned up in Malaysia.

English version. Not the Dick Randall one dubbed in Rome, but the "Shaw Brothers" dub with the "but still" crowd. Non-anamorphic and had a layer change style pause on every chapter stop ala those old World Video DVDs.

TheKungFuRobber
I had the German DVD released a few years ago. It had two versions of the 1979 version

Mandarin version, 16:9 version. Very heavy DVNR, but I think that's the fault of whoever did the transfer in Asia, as it also turned up in Malaysia.

English version. Not the Dick Randall one dubbed in Rome, but the "Shaw Brothers" dub with the "but still" crowd. Non-anamorphic and had a layer change style pause on every chapter stop ala those old World Video DVDs.

I made a custom based on that disc. I used both prints and a Prism Leisure DVD audio source to create the Dick Randal version of the film and dded subs to the Mandarin version. I still need to make a better version as I mucked it up with the menus and the Mandarin version is laggy.

i picked this up, sounds like it's a port of the dvd release.two versions of the 1979 edit, one in HD in Mandarin with english subs and an english dubbed sd version. it's true HD ,has a high bit rate and is very very heavy on the DNR.Forgot how bad this film was,i'll be selling it on. :angel: it's Region-Free.

TheKungFuRobber

Well, I've just uploaded a new custom for this movie, which is better than any version in the world with the 1979 Mandarin version and a reconstructed 1981 English version. You can download it on Asian DVD Club.

I will upload a second disk with the 1979 Hong Kong English dub (not the Italian English dub with which is on the 1981 English version) and the 1971 Original version too.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Well, I've just uploaded a new custom for this movie, which is better than any version in the world with the 1979 Mandarin version and a reconstructed 1981 English version. You can download it on Asian DVD Club.

I will upload a second disk with the 1979 Hong Kong English dub (not the Italian English dub with which is on the 1981 English version) and the 1971 Original version too.

You and so many others on here are why I love this genre so much.

JCLegend86

So does your latest custom replace the old one: https://asiandvdclub.org/details.php?id=84022 ??

Whats the difference between the 1979 and 1981 english versions other than the dubs? I thought there were only a 1971 original, 1979 english and 1979 mandarin version where the 1979 versions had different endings?

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
So does your latest custom replace the old one: https://asiandvdclub.org/details.php?id=84022 ??

Whats the difference between the 1979 and 1981 english versions other than the dubs? I thought there were only a 1971 original, 1979 english and 1979 mandarin version where the 1979 versions had different endings?

I'd love to know this too.

If you could list them sort of like this:

1971 Version- Details

1979 Version- Details

1981 Version- Details

To make it clear, that would be great. :nerd:

TheKungFuRobber

1971 version- the original version. Opens with Jackie's father and uncle running from the extortionists. The father is killed and the uncle leaves. There is no blindfolded baddie in this one. After this we cut to the credits, which are Jackie training without Yuen Siu Tien. In this version, Jackie's uncle actually encourages to learn the martial arts but does not allow him to fight. All scenes with Yuen Siu Tien and Dean Shek are gone and Pickpocket has a much more important role. Jackie's uncle survives the house fire and encourages Jackie to fight. The film ends with the battle at the docks and Jackie taking pickpockets lifeless body away, quoting "why can't we all live in peace" and the film ends. The film runs for around 85 minutes. Released under the title "The Cub Tiger from Kwangtung 廣東小老虎 (pinyin Guǎngdōng xiǎo lǎohǔ)".

1979 HK version- this version was the first re edited version. This uses around 50% of the original footage with added subplots. The film opens with the bearded master training, Jackie's father is killed by the master for refusing to follow orders. His uncle survives and looks after jackie and we have a subplot added with Yuen Siu Tien playing a beggar (who comes across as a pedophile most of the time) who teaches Jackie how to fight. The uncle strictly forbids any martial arts and there is a subplot of Jackie's other Uncle (who runs a resteraunt) getting into trouble with the extortionists. This leads to Yuen Siu Tien and Jackie getting into a hilarious dominos game and comical fight with another extortionist played by the hilarious Dean Shek, including a popeye impersonation! Jackie's father soon gets involved and the family run away. Jackie's uncle dies in the fire and he takes revenge, killing the extortionists and the bearded master (a body double was used for most of the new scenes involving Jackie). In the 1979 HK version, the film ends with Jackie fighting the bearded master at night. This version was dubbed into Mandarin and Cantonese. Runs 82 minutes. Released as "Master with Crack Fingers 刁手怪招 (pinyin diāo shǒu guài zhāo)".

The 1979 HK English version- this version is almost the same as the other HK version. However, the dominoes scene is shortened by about a minute and the end fight is completely different as it was shot during the day. This scene is much more comical than the other but is otherwise inferior. The double is much more noticable. The bearded master also dies differently too. This version was dubbed and shown in HK cinemas in English with voices which are recognisable from dubbed Shaw films. This is the longest version with a runtime of 86 minutes. Released as "Master with Cracked Fingers" 刁手怪招 (pinyin diāo shǒu guài zhāo)".

1981 US version- this was the more well known version on nearly every DVD or VHS. Identical the the 1979 HK English version but more small cuts and redubbed by more professional spaghetti western dubbers in Italy. Released by Dick Randal by 21st Century Distribution. Runs 78 minutes. Released as "Master with CrackED FingerS", "Ten Fingers of Death" and "Snake Fist Fighter".

Here are the trailers for all three versions:

Japanese trailer for 1973 version-

1979 HK English Version-

1981 US Version-

Archived