Lady-Fighters

Shosetsu

Since everybody already knows about Shiomi Etsuko and Kaji Mieko, let's recognize some other Lady-fighters, who are less-known but just as good.

For starters, let me recognize Katahira Nagisa. She was the lady ninja from Yagyu Abaretabi. I also vaguely recall that she also played the protagonist role in another series in which she fought with Two Swords. Give me some time --l'll come up with the other role in a later post.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad that you mentioned Yoko. She was good too. That made me recall when I used to buy a magazine during the 1970s called Martial Arts Movies. In one of its issues was an article on Lady-fighters, and I recall distinctly that Yoko was included. I wonder if anybody else on this forum bought those issues during the 1970s? That's when I bought them, of course, and I even have some of them in storage somewhere,but can not find them at present. So I have to use my cob-webbed memory as well as remembering other actresses which were Not included in the 1970s magazine. In fact, Katahira Nagisa was Not included in the magazine at all.

Yes, the Crimson Bat series is entertaining. But as a fighter she always remains a lady. The series is somewhat tame, without the blood splatter or vengeance-driven sword fights that characterize the Lady Snowblood films.

I have most or all of the issues of Martial Arts Movies, even wrote a couple of articles for it. Someone gave me some duplicate copies of the zine I need to unload.

I have most or all of the issues of Martial Arts Movies, even wrote a couple of articles for it. Someone gave me some duplicate copies of the zine I need to unload.

Since you wrote some articles for that magazine, let me guess who you are. I respect your privacy, so I'll just mention your initials. It's a toss-up between JS and LW. So I'm guessing it's LW.

By the way, what specific articles did you write for that magazine?

Yes, you're right. Two articles - Asian fighting fantasy films vs Hollywood fighting fantasy films, and how to find Chinese kung fu movies on videotape.

Archived