My exploration of Samurai/Ninja films...(Where to start with Samurai films.)

paimeifist

Well I have watched a handful now and have yet to watch Seven Samurai. Honestly it is always an option, but the duration has caused me to choose another film each time! I want to make sure I am "in the zone" and attentive when I watch it, especially knowing how great it is supposed to be. I will get to it sometime over the next couple of days, lol.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir
Yeah I'll have to seek it out. Is there a decent release of Master and the Kid or am I just as well off to just watch it on youtube? I'm considering just getting that Wu Tang Iron Fist set.. I'm sure the PQ isn't great, but I'm sure it's also watchable, an there are many movies I've hear good about on it that I've yet to see.. Including Master and the Kid!

I currently have the Videoasia DVD. It looks pretty decent. I haven't watched in a year or two. Partly wide I think. You can hear the Chinese track lightly playing under the English dub which is annoying, but I've heard a lot worse. I can take a look at it later if you have any unanswered questions. It's only a buck on Amazon. There's also a German Blu Ray on Amazon that I'd like to know about. I got the movie in this sweet 5 pack- http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000OZ2CPM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1417220164&sr=8-1

Hunter in the Dark does have a lot of characters, but I feel like their all pretty distinct enough that's it's easy enough to pick up what's going on. Still, it is a film that can be appreciated much more with a second viewing.

Bandits Vs Samurai Squadron also by Gosha, has about twice as many characters. That one even confused me.

Sleepy Eyes of Death are great as well. Not my favorites, but still entertaining to watch.

Check out Tenchu and Goyokin if you haven't already.

Morgoth Bauglir

I doubt I have anything to say about Seven Samurai that you haven't already heard, but this movie is required viewing if you are a fan of these movies. You don't usually see it recommended by fans of the genre because you are expected to have already seen it and be ready to talk about it any time.

I understood what was going on, but it took me about an hour in to really out it together and see what the aim of the film was. Ok im watching Seven Samurai tomorrow dammit, haha.

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah get to it tomorrow. I don't want to sound too pushy here but I also want to hear your thoughts on 5 Fighters ASAP. :nerd:

Also watch Lone Wolf and Cub ASAP. Prepare to have your mind blown. My thoughts on these movies is the same as OKFC's thoughts on Seven Samurai. Watch it!!!!!!

Man I loved Shoguns Assassin, to the point where I want to watch it again, and I just saw it two days ago for the first time.. So naturally I am dying to see the Lone Wolf and Cub movies, but they're a little pricey, and too renowned for me to watch them on anything other than my TV.

Morgoth Bauglir

I hear you. I'm kinda in the same boat. I made the massive mistake of selling them years ago and I've only managed to get a couple back since then.

I watched Goyokin today... on a 10 metre screen... with Tatsuya Nakadai in attendance. Be jealous, guys :wink:

I haven't seen the movie, but that sounds glorious. Where are you at?

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
Interesting Samurai films there GD Y-Y but bless your heart.

Well, the movie was brought up in this thread.

LOL lots of laughs or lots of love......................................................................................... you chose LOL!

GD Y-Y

Kaley, I've debating on ordering the first animeigo set of the Sleepys Eyes of Death films, it is $30 on animeigo at the moment, and knowing their history, there's no telling how long the movies will be available from them, and It seems like a good price. What do you think?

Personally I've watched the first ten Nemuri Kyoshiro films, and I've really enjoyed them all. The stories, actors, sets etc, are all top notch. The pace of the films never lag, always something interesting happening. I've heard some people say that the latter films are superior to the earlier ones, but for me they're all good. Might be a good idea to pick them up while you can. Or you could grab one (download) from the 'net before you do to make sure it's something that you would enjoy; kinda like a "try-before-you-buy".

Personally I've watched the first ten Nemuri Kyoshiro films, and I've really enjoyed them all. The stories, actors, sets etc, are all top notch. The pace of the films never lag, always something interesting happening. I've heard some people say that the latter films are superior to the earlier ones, but for me they're all good. Might be a good idea to pick them up while you can. Or you could grab one (download) from the 'net before you do to make sure it's something that you would enjoy; kinda like a "try-before-you-buy".

I went ahead and ordered the first set while they're cheaper, looking forward to them.

I finally watched the Seven Samurai, and there isn't really anything worth saying that hasn't been said before I am sure. It is an amazing movie, and even with its duration it isn't boring at any point, and I will definitely buy it at some point, and watch it again.

7 samurai is just a great movie. Any genre.

Every time I watch I see new things. I've got he Criterian collection version. I tell my wife if the house ever catches on fire to grab it.

I watched Goyokin today... on a 10 metre screen... with Tatsuya Nakadai in attendance. Be jealous, guys :wink:

Really? Damn. Pretty cool.

What did Tatsuya have to say?

I haven't seen the movie, but that sounds glorious. Where are you at?

Ikebukuro, Tokyo. Hideo Gosha retrospective.

- http://www.shin-bungeiza.com/pdf/20141129.pdf

- http://www.shin-bungeiza.com/program.html

Also, watched Three Outlaw Samurai on the same screen today :xd:

Really? Damn. Pretty cool.

What did Tatsuya have to say?

He was talking about Gosha, how it was cold as hell when shooting Goyokin, how Japanese cinema lost one of the last true legends when Takakura died, and other stuff.

When I have more time I will post pictures in the other thread

Sword of the Beast. I loved this one. Well paced, good plot, and plenty of Samurai badassery (albeit in a classic style. Great characterization, but it seems that all classic Samurai movies have that!

This may actually be my favorite jidaigeki movie from what I have seen so far outside of Seven Samurai.

Im eager to see more of the "first phase" of Gosha films, as Takuma put it.

I really dug this film. If I were to summarize it, it would sound like a completely exploitative movie(samurai, ninjas, monk, "green jade statuette", women) but it really isn't in any way. For the first hour it seemed to have a simple but fun adventure plot.. But in the last half an hour it threw some twists in and gave it some depth. The strong themes and characterization of even minor characters was great and one of my favorite aspects of the movie. The action was simple and for the most part just Kyoshiro cutting people down (with a minimal amount of blood usually). The scenes of the monk(Tomisaburo Wakayama) fighting were the best action scenes, for some reason after seeing him with a sword in Shoguns Assassin, I didn't expect him to be so bad ass hand to hand! The best part about this though... Ichikawa Raizo as Kyoshiro.. The character is just a straight bad ass. He is cold as ice, yet completely righteous at the same time. Also some great one liners - "Well, lets see about your Full-Moon Cut!", "...then that's the last thing you will ever see."

Looking forward to the next one.

They just get better with each new installment. Watched film 12 just last night. Felt a little sad knowing it was Raizo's last Nemuri film, even more sad the fact that he died just two years later from cancer at the young age of 38.

Glad you enjoyed the film, you'll love the rest.

I really dug this film. If I were to summarize it, it would sound like a completely exploitative movie(samurai, ninjas, monk, "green jade statuette", women) but it really isn't in any way. For the first hour it seemed to have a simple but fun adventure plot.. But in the last half an hour it threw some twists in and gave it some depth. The strong themes and characterization of even minor characters was great and one of my favorite aspects of the movie. The action was simple and for the most part just Kyoshiro cutting people down (with a minimal amount of blood usually). The scenes of the monk(Tomisaburo Wakayama) fighting were the best action scenes, for some reason after seeing him with a sword in Shoguns Assassin, I didn't expect him to be so bad ass hand to hand! The best part about this though... Ichikawa Raizo as Kyoshiro.. The character is just a straight bad ass. He is cold as ice, yet completely righteous at the same time. Also some great one liners - "Well, lets see about your Full-Moon Cut!", "...then that's the last thing you will ever see."

Looking forward to the next one.

I'm glad too, even though the series is not among my biggest personal favorites. It's a good series - there's not a bad film in it - but for me part 8 was the only truly fantastic effort. The others that I also liked quite a bit were parts 1, 2, 4 and 12. The rest I found good but somewhat forgettable. But I know a lot of people really love the series.

If I were to rank the few I have seen so far(what I've mentioned in this thread)from favorite to least favorite; it would probably be in the bottom half. With that said, out of the movies I have seen only one was anything less than great in my view.(Hunter in the Dark).

I am still surprised at how much I enjoyed Sword of the Beast, as I seemed to have heard less about it when compared to many other movies of the genre.

What next?!

What next?!

More Gosha

- Goyokin

- Three Outlaw Samurai

- Samurai Wolf 1&2

- Hitokiri

More Sleepy Eyes (the next film is already notably better than the first)

And of course more Lone Wolf and Cub. If the bloodier, sleazier chambara is to your liking, then also:

- Lady Snowblood (this is a must no matter what)

- Bohachi Bushido: Clan of the Forgotten Eight (for mindblowing sleaze chambara with Tetsuro Tamba as Edo era Dirty Harry, only much dirtier)

- Demon Spies (ninja sleaze. This may seem a bit underwhelming at first when compared to Lone Wolf or Bohachi), but if you dig exploitation it grows on you. Gets better on every viewing and after seeing it on 35mm I feel safe to say I love the film)

- Shadow Hunters 1&2 (ninja massacre. The films are no masterpieces, but again, if ninjasploitation is what you're after, they definitely come recommended

Oh, and maybe you could add a list of films that you've seen in the first post, and update it as you see more stuff, (maybe with ratings, too). That would make it easier to give recommendations.

Archived