Kendo Masshigura

Shosetsu

Kendo Masshigura was a series based on the biography of true-life swordsman Chiba Shusaku who was famous for his sword-technique Hokushin Itto Ryu. Starring as Shusaku was actor Iwashita Ryo.

Episodes took place mostly at the Dojo, the Asari Dojo, headed by Asari Matashichiro. In the role of Asari was actor Ose Koichi who was famous for his chambara series Onmitsu Kenshi (Secret Agent Samurai).

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much to my surprise, historians consider Shusaku as the best Swordsman of all, Not Miyamoto Musashi. I know there have been so many movies about Musashi, but if you look at the actual, historical Musashi, much of it was based on legends and things he made up. Compare that to Shusaku whose exploits are thoroughly documented, especially from the Asari Dojo.

There was a movie about a different swordsman, the movie being entitled Flower Sword, in which the character used a variation of the same technique used by Shusaku from Kendo Masshigura. Shusaku uses the Sword-technique, Hokushin Ittoryu, which is a variation of the root-form of Ittoryu. I remember watching the Flower Sword movie in which actor Tamura Masakazu played Migogami who also uses a variation of that Ittoryu. The Migogami character he played is a descendent of an actual historical figure, Migogami Tenzen, also known for his Ittoryu technique.

Now available on DVD is the biography of the true-life historical Swordsman, Tsukahara Bokuden, with subtitles. His Sword technique was known as Shinto ryu.

What I don't understand is that nowadays in Kendo it's not allowed to have 10th rank or even 9th rank, whereas in the past they were allowed. Nowadays the highest achievable rank is Hachidan (8th rank).

Back in the day, there were 10th ranked Swordsmen such as Mochida Moriji. Even when Moriji was in his 80's, he could still defeat kendoists half his age.

Archived