The Taking of Tiger Mountain (2015) - New Tsui Hark Movie!

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

The-Taking-of-Tiger-Mountain-2014-3.jpg

The-Taking-of-Tiger-Mountain-2014-1.jpg

The-Taking-of-Tiger-Mountain-2014-4.jpg

智取威虎山3D The Taking Of Tiger Mountain (2014) 预告

Trailer:

6j-KZMxp8C8

Director: Tsui Hark

Cast:

Zhang Hanyu

Kenny Lin

Tony Leung Ka-Fai

Tong Liya

Yu Nan

Hu Dong

Miu Tse

Su Yiming

Chen Xiao

Han Geng

Xing Yu

Williams Chu

Zhang Yuxi

Li Yuan

Your thoughts please as it is a Tsui Hark movie.

GD Y-Y

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It look like an interesting blend of genres and seems like it'll have comedic elements, drama and action.

The trailer didn't do an awful lot for me, but I might give it a go.

One Armed Boxer

I watched this one recently, and found it to be an enjoyable movie, not as enjoyable as Hark's 'Detective Dee' flicks, but still a solid effort.  Perhaps more than any other director out there, Hark seems to know how to use 3D to fantastic effect, really creating every shot to have a layered composition which works as part of the story, rather than sticking out as a novelty or a 3D for the sake of being 3D effect.  For me though there is one serious problem which threw the whole thing off....SPOILERS below - 

With the movie's finale over and the credits rolling, Hark decides to do a very strange thing.  As already stated in previous posts, events are bookmarked by scenes which involve a character in present day 2015, and in the closing minutes the character whimsically muses on how there was rumored to be a secret airstrip in the villains base.  The character then proceeds to imagine what the finale would have been like IF the airstrip had been there.  So we're then subjected to a completely random, entirely imagined, 2nd finale, which plays things out in a way which has the characters battling on a moving plane careening out of control down the runway and eventually wedging itself between two mountains.  Not only does this imagined finale undermine and devalue the real finale that we've only witnessed a couple of minutes before, it also goes on for several minutes longer than than the actual version, only adding to the bizarre decision to include it.  It really ended the movie on an unnecessary note, and would have been better left as a deleted scene or alternate ending on the DVD.

I bought this a little while ago..It came out pre-order on Amazon. I haven't seen it but I look forward to it.

It's available DVD or Blue-ray or for rental or purchase streaming. It is English subs.

http://www.amazon.com/Taking-Tiger-Mountain-Blu-ray/dp/B00V8SUEEU/ref=tmm_blu_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1443936692&sr=8-1

I watched this one recently, and found it to be an enjoyable movie, not as enjoyable as Hark's 'Detective Dee' flicks, but still a solid effort.  Perhaps more than any other director out there, Hark seems to know how to use 3D to fantastic effect, really creating every shot to have a layered composition which works as part of the story, rather than sticking out as a novelty or a 3D for the sake of being 3D effect.  For me though there is one serious problem which threw the whole thing off....SPOILERS below - 

Hidden Content

As for the second ending, that was the original ending, but China censorship wouldn't allow it. But not putting it to waste because of the major efforts, he put it in as a postscript.

I enjoyed the film. Tsui Hark still has the energy that made most of his films incredibly fun to watch and his expert use of 3D is almost unparalleled. It's subversive as fuck too, considering that this film is based on a true story. It boggles the mind at how he got away from China censorship with the end result. Sure, the film is a bit long and the CGI ain't up to snuff, but at least the pacing is super-fast, the characters are portrayed well-enough and the action scenes are thrilling and the cinematography looks great. Didn't like the modern parts though, although I did like how it ended, with the message of family and not just blatant Chinese patriotism.

One Armed Boxer

As for the second ending, that was the original ending, but China censorship wouldn't allow it. But not putting it to waste because of the major efforts, he put it in as a postscript.

Thanks for the info FilmMomatic, I wasn't aware of that.  So even when a movie manages to avoid any blatant mainland pandering in its content, they still manage to inadvertently screw things up anyway.  I can understand Hark's decision to still include the scene after the censor's didn't accept it as the "official" ending, however even with the workaround that he's used, it completely throws off the narrative and effectively devalues everything that's come before.  We've hardly spent more that a couple of minutes with the character from present day, so why on earth would we care about how he dreams up an imagined finale to the events on Tiger Mountain?  Both from an audience and a narrative standpoint it makes no sense, and Hark would perhaps have been better to bite the bullet and lose the scene all together. 

Secret Executioner

Missed it in its (very limited tbh) theatrical run. That thing with the alternate ending picked my curiosity, so I guess I could well check it out out of curiosity.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I saw 'The Taking of Tiger Mountain' this weekend.

AlbertV's review is spot on.

I also watched the WellGo version.

Here are the flaws I saw:

1. Are we missing some footage. Why? Where the HELL was the airplane as shown on one of the posters. I missed it somehow or I swear it was not in this version of the film.

5665b44c39a9b_TracksintheSnowyForest2014

2. I do not recall Zhang Han-Yu using a sword against the tiger. Maybe I missed this too.

5665b445ae38d_TheTakingofTigerMountain20

3. Chen Xiao's character gets seven kinds of dog poo whipped on him.

5665b440db1b3_TheTakingofTigerMountain20

3a. A broken leg.

3b. Broken ribs.

4c. That stick to the stomach most certainly gave hm severe internal injury's.

Yet he seemed to recover in 1 day folks to continue the valiant fight against the bandits. Tsui Hark lost me on this.

Otherwise it was a very satisfactory was drama.

Movie “Strategically Took Tiger Mountain”: Zuo Shan Diao is Actually Anti-Japanese Hero

GD Y-Y

One Armed Boxer

1. Are we missing some footage. Why? Where the HELL was the airplane as shown on one of the posters. I missed it somehow or I swear it was not in this version of the film.

5665b44c39a9b_TracksintheSnowyForest2014

Click to reveal the hidden comments in my post here GD Y-Y, the airplane scene is basically a post-credit sequence - 

http://www.shaolinchamber36.com/kungfufandom/index.php?/topic/19073-the-taking-of-tiger-mountain-2015-new-tsui-hark-movie/&do=findComment&comment=255752

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Click to reveal the hidden comments in my post here GD Y-Y, the airplane scene is basically a post-credit sequence - 

http://www.shaolinchamber36.com/kungfufandom/index.php?/topic/19073-the-taking-of-tiger-mountain-2015-new-tsui-hark-movie/&do=findComment&comment=255752

I see. I did not watch the credits roll.

Thanks OAB

GD Y-Y

Archived