Johnnie To has no more desire to work with Cecilia Cheung

DiP

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OpiumKungFuCracker

Okay after reading the article I'm gonna have to say this is a perfect example of double standards and misogyny and I'm using that term very loosely like a wizard's sleeve. I bet if a male mainland star had the same kind of outcast life as Cheung, To would have no problem casting him because he's a dude. The mistreatment of female actors in mainland/hong kong is kind of bad, don't you think?

I don't think it would've mattered if it was a male or female. I believe the point of the article is to show how far big names in the HK film circuit would go for big dough. The article seems unreliable so I'm taking it with a grain of salt, but if it's true then To is one of several other big names (such as Wong Jing, Jackie etc) in HK cinema that are turning into sell-outs.

NoKUNGFUforYU

The area seems to be slipping back into a reactionary culture, and I imagine there are men that miss footbinding. We have a reactionary movement in the usa, which is all about restoring Merica.

The article seems unreliable so I'm taking it with a grain of salt, but if it's true then To is one of several other big names (such as Wong Jing, Jackie etc) in HK cinema that are turning into sell-outs.

Well, Gao Yuanyuan is undeniably a fast rising talent, loved her recently in CAUGHT IN THE WEB, but there are HK actressess over 40 that someone like To could easily cast in leading roles. Take Carina Lau, who’s as good (and as beautiful!) as she ever was!

Dunno why To needs to be lumped together with the likes of Wong Jing and be suspected to be a “sell-out” though. Because he supposedly said (according to this gossip blurb) that Cecilia Cheung “got herself into some messy issues” ? Or because DON’T STOP BREAKING MY HEART 2 shapes up to be the man’s biggest-ever box-office banger?

http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/johnnie-to-breaks-hearts-on-singles-day

I mean, if its as cleverly scripted and charming as the first instalment then its worth a watch! It was definitely one the best “lighter” films in To’s filmography.

One Armed Boxer

I wasn't surprised by the article title, but I was surprised by the reasons To sights for not wanting to cast her. I thought it was going to be more in relation to her erratic onset behavior that was widely reported around the time of movies like 'Legendary Amazons' (2011).

HK audiences not being favorable to divorced stars isn't a new thing though, remember how Sammo's popularity took a dive when he was going through his divorce?

Hmmm, very strange but if what happened in her personal life harmed her public image then I could see why he wouldn't want to use her as a leading lady. In Hollywood something like that seems to increase your popularity not harm it.

OpiumKungFuCracker
In Hollywood something like that seems to increase your popularity not harm it.

Exactly, right? You look at any other profession, and trying to get a job, the first thing a company or employer would do is to check your background and credit. If it has a sketchy pass, that company isn't going to hire you for shit. Which is what Mainland/HK cinema is doing. Now if Mainland/HK cinema were to reverse it and do what Hollywood is doing, would that result into better films from them?

It looks like they can't leave the woman alone.

She relocated from HK to Singapore but the paparazzi followed her there. They even went to her son's kindergarten school to to take pics of her and the kid.

It looks like no matter what she does, good or bad - they will hound her.

ShaOW!linDude
HK audiences not being favorable to divorced stars isn't a new thing though, remember how Sammo's popularity took a dive when he was going through his divorce?

I don't mean to dabble in gossip, but I didn't know anything about this.:ooh:

Archived