Bruce Lee: A Dragon Story (1974)

thegoldenstate

thegoldenstate

This movie is insane

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Lee:_A_Dragon_Story

I used to think that True Game of Death or possibly some Bruce Le film took the prize for worst Bruceploitation movie ever ... but this one takes the cake

Whoever made this film apparently hated women, hated Bruce Lee, and hated humanity in general.

The Lo Wei character is hilarious and especially benefits from the atrocious dubbing

thegoldenstate

No, that's the Shaw Bros one, which is certainly awful enough in its own way.

But A Dragon Story/Super Dragon/The Dragon Dies Hard (nb, other films have had these titles slapped onto them, so it gets a little confusing!!) is so sloppily-made and sleazy and borderline-incoherent in places that it is fairly mind-boggling.

There is an actor in it billed as "Tang Pei", though, for what it's worth.

Killer Meteor
No, that's the Shaw Bros one, which is certainly awful enough in its own way.

But A Dragon Story/Super Dragon/The Dragon Dies Hard (nb, other films have had these titles slapped onto them, so it gets a little confusing!!) is so sloppily-made and sleazy and borderline-incoherent in places that it is fairly mind-boggling.

There is an actor in it billed as "Tang Pei", though, for what it's worth.

Bruce Li is billed in his early films as Li Shaio Lung - no scruples!

It should be noted director Rob Cohen used films like this, and many other exploitation films of this era, for research of his film Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story.

Wow. 'Nuff said.

Killer Meteor
It should be noted director Rob Cohen used films like this, and many other exploitation films of this era, for research of his film Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story.

Wow. 'Nuff said.

To be fair, most of what happens in Dragon is fiction made up by Cohen and the writers, rather than stuff that one sees in the Taiwanese Brucie films. None of them have a giant Demon for one thing.

Killer Meteor

I love the scene where Linda drives into the shot whilst they are filming The Green Hornet, but the director considers it good enough for a wrap and even says "I think there's an Emmy in it".

Despite being played by a youngish chap, this is a very accurate portrayal of bona-fide pushing-80 Green Hornet director William "One-Shot" Beaudine!

Phantom Dreamer
Is this the film that George Tan used clips from for Death By Misadventure?.

Maybe. I know there are clips from Bruce Lee: True Story/Bruce Lee: The Man, The Myth.

I have watched both BL The Man The Myth & The Bruce Lee Story with Carl Scott co-starring. There's clips used from a clone biography in Death By Misadventure that Ive never seen before. In one scene a Lo Wei look a like is yelling action at the camera over and over again.

Killer Meteor
I have watched both BL The Man The Myth & The Bruce Lee Story with Carl Scott co-starring. There's clips used from a clone biography in Death By Misadventure that Ive never seen before. In one scene a Lo Wei look a like is yelling action at the camera over and over again.

Sounds like Bruce Lee: A Dragon story.

thegoldenstate

Yeah, I just watched (most of) Death by Misadventure last night, and scenes from A Dragon Story are scattered throughout it, for example at 26:16, 28:21, and 30:03 here (WARNING: brief NSFW-ness at around 29:50)

XU0oTGcuN_k

Question: Does anyone who exactly actress Na Yan-Sau is supposed to be playing in Bruce Lee: A Dragon Story? Maria Yi? Nora Miao? She seems to show up during the filming of The Big Boss sequence, and later is hanging off Bruce's arm during the party where he meets Betty Ting Pei. When Bruce takes a visible liking to Betty, Miss Na's character is seen sitting by herself looking dejected.

image.png.1e87b31c849a67c29aae657adc137981.png

• Like 2

Killer Meteor

The German DVD of this is pretty good. It has the shorter international version in widescreen, and an uncut hybrid version mixing the widescreen footage with the 4:3 Ocean Shores video. Both English dubs are on it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

One of the two English dubs definetly calls her Miao.

I watched the Dragon Dies Hard version, which cuts out a lot of the scenes with Betty and Linda, while splicing in fight scenes from Little Superman and Superior Youngster. There's another version taking from the Italian release and dubbed in Spanish also on Youtube. Whatever version there is, it really portrays Bruce Lee as a total jerk in how little he cares about Linda: if he hadn't shacked up with Betty, he probably would've ended up shacking up with Nora.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

The German DVD of this is pretty good. It has the shorter international version in widescreen, and an uncut hybrid version mixing the widescreen footage with the 4:3 Ocean Shores video. Both English dubs are on it.

Does either version inform who the fight choreographer was?

The Dragon Dies Hard version steals the opening credits from Superior Youngster, so that information wouldn't apply to the actual movie.

• Like 2

Killer Meteor

I'll have a look for you. The credits on the Ocean Shores version are only in Chinese

Edited by Killer Meteor
  • Like 2

DragonClaws
12 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Question: Does anyone who exactly actress Na Yan-Sau is supposed to be playing in Bruce Lee: A Dragon Story?

She might be a combination of multiple real life characters?, or just there to represent his association with other Asian actress's?.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

I'll have a look for you. The credits on the Ocean Shores version are only in Japanese

Well, if you see a credit that features the characters "武術" (wushu) or "武道" (Budo), could you send a print of the screen?

• Like 2

Killer Meteor

No fight choreographer credited on German print on DVD, or for that matter on Italian VHS copy on Youtube - interestingly enough, the Italian versison is presented by Dick Randall.

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
1 minute ago, DrNgor said:

Well, if you see a credit that features the characters "武術" (wushu) or "武道" (Budo), could you send a print of the screen?

Sorry, I meant  Chinese. Bloody hell, I'm losing my touch!

It's not the Ocean Shores version but you can see some Chinese credits here -

• Like 1

Just now, Killer Meteor said:

No fight choreographer credited on German print on DVD, or for that matter on Italian VHS copy on Youtube - interestingly enough, the Italian versison is presented by Dick Randall.

Well, if the Japanese credits don't mention anything, only if/when a Taiwanese print surfaces will we know. I suppose you could go through the cast list and attribute it to anyone who had a background in action direction:

Chou Tai-Sheng
Tsang Ming-Cheong    
Robert Tai Chi-Hsien
Suen Shu-Pau
Pan Chang-Ming

• Like 1