Armour Of God II Japanese Extreme Edition Blu-ray

newgen2005

Has anyone ever seen the longer cut of of AOG 2?

This edition sounds very interesting!

Project Eagle Japan theatrical release [Blu-ray]

Armour Of God II

Sales Price: 2,838 yen + tax | Item Number: PBW 300387

Release Date: 2014/12/24 sale!

Staff

Director: Jackie Chan

Executive Producer: Raymond Chow / Leonard Ho

Screenplay: Edward Tan

Cast (Cast of voice)

Jackie ... Jackie Chan (Hiroya Ishimaru)

Ada ... de de Chen (Gara Takashima)

Elsa ... Eva Kobo (Rika Matsumoto)

Momoko ... Naoko Ikeda (Shoko Ikeda)

Adolf ... Bruce Richard Fontaine (Kiyoshi Kobayashi)

Bannon Earl ... Bojidaru-Sumiru Ja Nick (net momentum)

Frank ... Mark Edward King (Yūji Mikimoto)

Story

Jackie of the original just back from looking statue sleep in unexplored region of Africa, pour in the request of A New work from Bannon Earl. It is, during the Second World War, Catalin Baron of Nazi Germany If you find a gold 250 tons that was hidden in the desert, was that the 1% is given as a reward. With the cooperation of Chinese women historians Ada, Jackie grabbed an important clue that indicates the treasure of Arica, know that it has been hidden in the former German military base. Adjutant of granddaughter Elsa, Japanese girl I met in the middle of the journey, Momoko also added, and infiltrate the secret base that sleep in the desert. To decrypt the huge safe, I finally discover the treasure but ....

Specification

■ Cantonese: 2.0ch monaural

■ Japanese dub (video version): 2.0ch mono (switch part no overdubbed point is in Cantonese voice.)

■ Subtitles: Japanese (because it is directly recorded baking subtitle of the time, you can not ON / OFF switching)

■ 16: 9 LB (1080p Hi-Def) / scope size

■ Color

■ 114 minutes

■ 1-layer

Blu-ray benefits

● Japan version theater trailer

★ Japan version of TV CM

★ ... first recording

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I don't think this is an "Extreme Edition" like the ones coming out this month, but it has just what I want: An actual HD transfer, a Japanese trailer, and a Japanese TVCM. The "extreme editions" seem to be just that: editions "extremely" packed to the brim with extras, such as multiple cuts (see The Protector: has three cuts), interviews (usually stock Fortune Star interviews), and various trailers.

As for the run time, I still have NO idea what is in this version. I'll be honest... I've yet to sit down and watch the HK cut in full. I did see the US cut in theaters AND have the US blu-ray (as of now, the only HD and burnt-in-subtitle-free transfer), so perhaps a custom HD transfer could be made compositing the US disc, the Japanese disc, and potentially matting in footage over the Japanese subs.

For those interested, here are a few links to order:

Amazon.co.jp link

HMV.co.jp link

The longest version that I have seen is the 107 minute version that is currently out on K&R blu ray and appears to be the same version that I saw back in the early 90`s at the local cinema. The timer on my PS3 says that the movie is 1:46:39 long. It really would be interesting to see this Japanese cut, but the film does drag a little in the middle anyways. I still plan on getting this unless bad news comes out surrounding it. I want to compare it to the K&R release. I hate to say it, but their release looks almost true HD. This is probably one of the best JC PQ blu ray releases that I have seen; that have been released by K&R. I know that that is not saying much, but every little improvement helps.

I realize that JC movies will never get Hollywood style remastering and care but they certainly deserve better than what they have. These at least deserve true HD with original soundtracks. Extras are nice too but the basics need to be done right, first. I just wish that the Japanese would add the one extra element that they need; English subs. :tongue:

I want to compare it to the K&R release. I hate to say it, but their release looks almost true HD. This is probably one of the best JC PQ blu ray releases that I have seen; that have been released by K&R. I know that that is not saying much, but every little improvement helps.

There are some comparisons on caps-a-holic, and it pretty much shows that the Fortune Star master (used on the HK and German blu-rays) is an upscale... when compared to the Spectrum Korean DVD, the only difference seems to be in the colors. They also have the US multi-film set by Echo Bridge, but unfortunately that's a 16x9 cropped transfer. The bright side? It's true HD. If you compare the US disc with the German or HK disc, if you ignore the cropping, the US version is clearly sharper. There actually is a standalone US blu-ray release by Echo Bridge which is in full 2.35 (and still HD).

As of now, it looks like the newer Japanese disc will be in true HD, taken from a theatrical Japanese print. What I like is that the covers for next months releases are meant to look like film reels, reinforcing the whole HD telecine aspect :wink:

If I was rolling in dough, I'd be pre-ordering all of these without thinking twice. But for now, the only releases for next month I'll be jumping on will be this and Dragon Fist. As for this months "Extreme Editions"? Probably just Young Master, Protector (I'm curious to see the English/Cantonese hybrid Japanese cut), and Wheels on Meals... maybe more after next year's tax return :wink:

Yep. I just thought that it was a really good upscale; but not 100% sure. But, I will be getting the new Japanese version that is coming out. I will get a couple more too. This is exciting. The US versions have been so heavily edited that I can't stand watching them. Its really sad cause these are the true HD versions that look as good as they probably ever will. Fortune Star suck when it comes to blu ray. They should have only released the dvd`s and let someone else remaster these. But, at least we can get some of the Japanese cuts in true HD.

Yep. I just thought that it was a really good upscale; but not 100% sure. But, I will be getting the new Japanese version that is coming out. I will get a couple more too. This is exciting. The US versions have been so heavily edited that I can't stand watching them. Its really sad cause these are the true HD versions that look as good as they probably ever will. Fortune Star suck when it comes to blu ray. They should have only released the dvd`s and let someone else remaster these. But, at least we can get some of the Japanese cuts in true HD.

Indeed! Twin/Paramount Japan have been treating these with more respect than most companies.

As for Fortune Star sucking with HD transfers... yep, can't argue. I've mentioned before that it seems like each passing company was better with previous media. Media Asia was good for Tai Seng VHS, but meh with DVD. Fortune Star was great for DVD, but meh with blu-ray. So now we need someone to be good with blu-ray but meh with 4K :xd:

Fortune Star was great for DVD

I disagree with that part if we consider it overall (not just transfer). For transfers they were ok, but I stopped watching HK films when Fortune Star started their audio terror. Up till then I used to watch about a 100 HK films a year, but Fortune Star was driving me insane. The worst remixes in movie history + downmixes sold as original mono after people complained. And an occasional real mono: severely out of sync of course or at least sounding like it was recorded inside a bottle. All the great (and less great) companies went down with them... HKL's last releases were unwatchable (unlistenable), all Fox discs sucked except for the last few, Joy Sales was miss more often than hit, even the God's gift HK Video became useless... I remember I tried to hunt down oop Deltamac discs of some of my favorites before it was too late. Then I basically had a burn-out and gave up on HK cinema...

(the Germans still managed to come up with some quality releases that I bought, like Eastern Condors and The Prodigal Son. No doubt they used third party source for the audio...)

So true. I hate remixes and added sound fx, how difficult can it be with mono?...it can sound robust and energetic but they seem to mess it up every time.

The audio screw-ups have been an issue for sure. But, sadly, we are going to lose a legacy because none of these films are ready for 4k. If Fortune Star can pass off upscale as "true HD" then I really worry about what will happen if/when 4k becomes the norm. Perhaps Celestial should buy out the FS catalog so these films could get better treatment. And, yeah, I am aware that Celestial did screw-up some of the Shaw releases but it may have been more of a learning curve or lack of resources/funds/whatever back in the early 2000`s. Now it seems they are doing pretty good with their true HD releases. But, I would still rather see blu ray releases than deals with El Ray or iTunes. Hopefully, this will just increase awareness and demand for a blu ray release.

(why am I starting to sound like a broken record? :sad:)

Secret Executioner
(why am I starting to sound like a broken record? :sad:)

Cause sadly, what's going on isn't going to make you wrong so far ? :squigglemouth:

Archived