Seeing Jimmy Wang Yu at NYC's Lincoln Center tonight!

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

1797999_10152778759734539_7975541659310698270_n.jpg?oh=74962f0afbb05ecc34adb774c1d64981&oe=54F0AE69

New York Asian Film Festival (NYAFF) Yes, it is DEFINITELY happening! His visa issues have been cleared up and he's coming to NYC in 3 weeks!

NYAFF Faecbook Page: https://www.facebook.com/NYAFF

OLD SKOOL KUNG FU MOVIE FANDOM PAGE

Just a reminder. Please put in proper thread.

GD Y-Y

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Noelle Shadow Kick

Since Jimmy Wang Yu had problems with his visa during the New York Asian Film Fest, he's returning to the Film Society at Lincoln Center tonight for "An Evening with Jimmy Wong Yu"!

This includes a reception starting at 5:30 with JWY in attendance, at 7:00 JWY will be presented the New York Asian Film Festival’s Lifetime Achievement Award and partake in a Q&A, all followed by a screening of Master of the Flying Guillotine.

I can't wait! I'll be sure to report back afterwards!

http://www.filmlinc.com/films/series/an-evening-with-jimmy-wong-yu

• Administrator

I just got home from this event. It was extraordinary in every single way!

The crowd, the film, Jimmy Wang Yu, seeing MASTER OF THE FLYING GUILLOTINE in 35mm, and getting to share it with my son, and forum and Face Book friends. So happy. :bigsmile: So exhausted... :tongue:

Unbelievably I probably won't have any time to post again with details until the weekend. :cry: But I will eventually post about it in detail... Oh yes, I will.

Had a really great time last night and it was nice meeting you Noelle. I walked with you to the subway. Also great meeting other members of the forum. Maybe I'll start hanging out around here more often?! :tongue:

Had an awesome time at the screening last night. Jimmy Wang Yu was great at the Q/A. What a personality and nice slight of hand magic trick!

Nice to see you guys again - Kung Fu Bob & ChungkingX! Nice to meet you Odioustrident! Great job again KFB w/ the poster art! Sorry I missed your intro to Wang Yu at the reception. I'm sure he loved the shout factory piece!

Sorry I didn't say goodbye, I had to jet. I was bummed that I couldn't stay to get Bob's poster signed by Jimmy.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet others from KFC.

Noelle, was that you that won the Jimmy Wang Yu Shout Factory Box set? Congratulations if so!

post-8440-144191902996_thumb.jpg

post-8440-144191903044_thumb.jpg

-Pat

Noelle Shadow Kick

Last night was great! I loved seeing Master of the Flying Guillotine on 35mm, and Jimmy Wong Yu’s Q&A was delightful, funny, and informative.

Attached is my photo with the One-Armed Boxer himself.

Also it was great meeting everyone last night!

KFB – Glad we finally met, and nice meeting your son and sister as well! Also tell him to watch Tombstone, that’s a great gateway western and I can’t believe I forgot it last night haha.

chungking: Nice meeting you as well! Hope to see you at more of these.

Irongut: Did we meet last night? Tough to keep everyone straight when their names aren’t in their forum name haha.

And yes I won the Shout Factory set of JWY films last night! I’m always complaining that I’ve been to dozens of these screenings and never won, but this was an awesome one to finally win. Some lovely KFB artwork on the cover and JWY signed it!

I’ll report back on everything we learned from the Q&A last night soon (unless someone beats me to it), just wanted to say it was great and that I loved meeting everyone!

post-9549-144191903091_thumb.jpg

@Noelle - no we didn't meet last night. I had to leave pronto after the Q&A. I knew that KFB was going to be at the screening but didn't realize that a few others from KFC were in the house.

Congrats for the DVD win! I haven't won anything at Subway Cinema events either and I've been at it for quite a while with some NYAFF screenings at Anthology film archives many moons ago. Wait, I did win Hong Kong Godfathers that one year, but I think everyone won a copy of that at nyaff.

I'm sure we'll bump into one another at one of these NY asian film events!

Irongut: Did we meet last night? Tough to keep everyone straight when their names aren’t in their forum name haha.

And yes I won the Shout Factory set of JWY films last night! I’m always complaining that I’ve been to dozens of these screenings and never won, but this was an awesome one to finally win. Some lovely KFB artwork on the cover and JWY signed it!

I’ll report back on everything we learned from the Q&A last night soon (unless someone beats me to it), just wanted to say it was great and that I loved meeting everyone!

Noelle Shadow Kick
@Noelle - no we didn't meet last night. I had to leave pronto after the Q&A. I knew that KFB was going to be at the screening but didn't realize that a few others from KFC were in the house.

Congrats for the DVD win! I haven't won anything at Subway Cinema events either and I've been at it for quite a while with some NYAFF screenings at Anthology film archives many moons ago. Wait, I did win Hong Kong Godfathers that one year, but I think everyone won a copy of that at nyaff.

I'm sure we'll bump into one another at one of these NY asian film events!

Yes, I was surprised as well that there were so many of us from the forum there!

And I think I was the only person who did not win Hong Kong Godfather at the fest, someone who had one two copies ended up letting me have their extra!

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

P'an ku

In this video from the Q & A at Jimmy Wang Yu's appearance at the Walter Reade Theater on Nov, 11, Jimmy mentions this was the film that inspired him to make The Chinese Boxer.

cDhif9LjI3E#t=12

P'an ku posted this on the thread Judo VS. Karate.

I thought it should be here as well.

GD Y-Y

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
P'an ku

In this video from the Q & A at Jimmy Wang Yu's appearance at the Walter Reade Theater on Nov, 11, Jimmy mentions this was the film that inspired him to make The Chinese Boxer.

cDhif9LjI3E#t=12

P'an ku posted this on the thread Judo VS. Karate.

I thought it should be here as well.

GD Y-Y

Can someone find Parts 2 and 3 of JWY interview. I cannot seem to find them on YouTube.

Thanks.

GD Y-Y

hey GD YY -

those are the videos I recorded :bigsmile:

Part 1:

cDhif9LjI3E

Part 2:

4X5ef9hLuuc

Part 3:

ZxM2lONjvyg

Thanks @One Armed Boxer - wasn't sure how to embed that!

those are the videos I recorded :bigsmile:

A friend that was at the event sent me a link to your great blog post. I didn't know it was you. Thanks for sharing these great vids.

I love when the interviewer asks:

Did you ever loose a fight?

When I was 65 I was in Shanghai and I was drunk, it was my fault. I fought with 4 policemen and they had to use electricity to put me down.

What an amazing night it was. On top of seeing the Legend himself I got to connect with some of the coolest guys and gals from this very forum. The only thing better than enjoying Asian cinema is enjoying with friends who have the same appreciation.

I would have loved to be there! Had I known a few days before the event that this was happening I certainly would have driven to this event!

Same here Rog. KFB sent me a message and said come on up but between air/hotel/car plus lost wages, it was an expense I did not want to incur. I never imagined it would be as intimate as it was though with photo ops/sigs/etc. That was very cool. Glad all who attended had a blast.

Archived