Fearless Hyena (1979) - Opinions?

chenzen

sifu iron perm
On 1/26/2022 at 7:49 AM, WangYu said:

@Drunken Monk in that case you can revoke my kung fu fandom membership card as well. I don’t like any of the kung fu comedies of the mid 70s to early 80s! I appreciate the inventiveness and acrobatics but that is basically all.

Give me the likes of “the chinese boxer” any day! 👹

all opinions are respected!

I grew up loving those kung fu campy comedies especially young master, snake eagle shadow, fearless hyena, drunken master, sammo comedies..but the rest of them aged horribly.

On 1/26/2022 at 2:48 PM, WangYu said:

@DrNgor he is the opposite of me?

Well there are a few i like though like sammo hung’s the victim and return to the 36th chamber of shaolin and of course spooky encounters

i detested shaw brothers humour, lol

• Like 2

@sifu iron perm

I used to love Jackie and Sammo films a lot but I haven’t seen their films in over a decade now. Each time I watch a scene on youtube of any of those films the fights seem sped up badly. I don’t remember it like that but from what i have seen on youtube I really dislike it now.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Always good to read various opinions on a film.

Personally some of the comedy grates but the choreography is top grade and this film is among my favourites  maybe not as well produced or rounded as SITES and DM but much prefer Fearless Hyena to Young Master and Dragon Lord

Edited by northern b
  • Like 3

On 11/3/2014 at 8:11 PM, DragonClaws said:

Most of the old Lo Wei/JC film's had the same dub jobs. Anyone know why Fearless Hyena had a slightly different dub?.

It seems as though studios tended to stick with (commission) the same dubbing company for years. So then, my guess is it might have something to do with The Fearless Hyena being under the Goodyear Movie Company, whereas most of those other movies were under the Lo Wei Motion Picture Co.

• Like 3

On 11/2/2014 at 6:39 PM, Keung said:

Most people would say Snake in the Eagle's Shadow and Drunken Master are Jackie's best old school flicks, but I think Fearless Hyena tops them both in every aspect.

I'd take 'Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin' above all the other early J.C. films, but that's just me. That was a great movie.

• Like 3

My pick would be “new fist of fury” maybe because it is the opposite of what Jackie eventually came known for.

Also prefer shaolin wooden men over snake and drunken master.

Unless drunken master 2 is part of the old school flicks than that would be my pick.

Jackie should be proud that everyone has another pick for fave film, it means he made a lot of work that was worthwhile. 

Edited by WangYu
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, WangYu said:

My pick would be “new fist of fury” maybe because it is the opposite of what Jackie eventually came known for.

Also prefer shaolin wooden men over snake and drunken master.

Unless drunken master 2 is part of the old school flicks than that would be my pick.

Jackie should be proud that everyone has another pick for fave film, it means he made a lot of work that was worthwhile. 

I'm with you on that. I LOVE NFOF. My next favs of the Lo Wei era are Dragon Fist, and then Fearless Hyena! 

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
On 1/28/2022 at 9:54 PM, Omni Dragon said:

It seems as though studios tended to stick with (commission) the same dubbing company for years. So then, my guess is it might have something to do with The Fearless Hyena being under the Goodyear Movie Company, whereas most of those other movies were under the Lo Wei Motion Picture Co.

The other Goodyear films I've seen used the GH dubbers.

• Like 3

On 1/30/2022 at 2:51 AM, mpm74 said:

I'm with you on that. I LOVE NFOF.

On 1/29/2022 at 3:35 PM, WangYu said:

My pick would be “new fist of fury”

That's some real moxy right there, guys.

With regards to The Fearless Hyena, I love the fights and the humor is hit and miss with me, as everyone else says. I think there is enough good fighting to make the film worth watching, especially at the end. I'd rank it above Spiritual Kung Fu mainly because I think it's paced better; a little below Snake in the Eagle's Shadow, as it doesn't recreate that film's heart; and a little further below my favorites: Drunken Master and Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin.

• Like 2

Just now, DrNgor said:

With regards to The Fearless Hyena, I love the fights and the humor is hit and miss with me, as everyone else says. I think there is enough good fighting to make the film worth watching, especially at the end. I'd rank it above Spiritual Kung Fu mainly because I think it's paced better; a little below Snake in the Eagle's Shadow, as it doesn't recreate that film's heart; and a little further below my favorites: Drunken Master and Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin.

I love Fearless Hyena just as much as SITES & DM, they each have there pro and cons. Maybe Im a little biased?, as I got to Jackie Chan through watching his then lesser known 70's films, before all his other stuff. I first watched it in a double bill with Spiritual Kung Fu. Drunekn Master and Snake in The Eagles shadow deserve there praise, but Fearless Hyena stands up there with in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

I love Fearless Hyena just as much as SITES & DM, they each have there pro and cons. Maybe Im a little biased?, as I got to Jackie Chan through watching his then lesser known 70's films, before all his other stuff.

Oh sure. I completely understand that.

I admit that I saw Fearless Hyena a lot later in my Jackie Chan watching, circa 2006. I'd already been watching Jackie Chan for about 8 years by then and had seen most of his old school films (save Magnificent Bodgyuards; To Kill with Intrigue; and Killer Meteors) and all of his modern movies. 

• Like 2

On 1/31/2022 at 12:26 AM, WangYu said:

@McQuade love your avatar, Lone Wolf McQuade is one of my all time favorite films!

One of my fave Chuck Norris movies, next to Invasion USA. 

As for Fearless Hyena, I'd pick SITES and DM over FH anytime. I'll soon be revisiting all of those early Jackie films thanks to the Blu-ray releases from 88 and Eureka so I might change my mind, but for now these two are my favorite.

• Like 2

As a movie, it falls short in comparison to SITESDM, and TYM. However, the final fight with Yen Shi-Kwan is up there with his absolute best fight scenes.

• Like 3

nah the movie is dope and always will be.. grew up on fearless hyena and always thought it has a great choreography... to me its up there with sites and dm... 

• Like 4

dirtytiger2

It was Jackie's official directorial debut (although he had directed a lot on his previous Lo Wei films uncredited) and he was desperate to show what he could do and escape Lo Wei so he put his all into the film and it shows, the fight scenes are incredible, he rehashes the one against 3 from Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin with a different weapon and makes it even better. I loved it since the first time I watched it on my full screen dubbed janky tape and am so happy there is a proper wide subbed version available now, just gets even better.

• Like 3