Best HK Blu-rays to test a projector?

xianzai

I recently got a projector and want to test it out, see how it handles MA/Wuxia movies.

Any suggestions? I've only tried the recent Journey to the West so far (looked awesome).

Was thinking Flying Swords of Dragon Gate, The Raid (not HK, I know), and Reign of Assassins.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Visually, I would not recommend neither Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or House of Flying Daggers when there are better (visual) transfers out there. Curse of the Golden Flower is a better transfer than these.

Reign Of Assassins - I have the Korean version which is great but I am not sure how it compares to the other versions.

Here are some recommendations - I will keep it short. These are visually stunning movies with great soundtracks. Some folks may not like the movie itself but I am recommending based on their (visual) quality and soundtrack.

Red Cliff - AMAZING, AWESOME transfer as well as a great movie.

Flying Swords Of Dragon Gate 3D - another Amazing Transfer.

Detective Dee & The Mystery of The Phantom Flame

Painted Skins: The Resurrection - stunning, both 2D & 3D

Tai Chi Zero/Hero

Fearless

The White Haired Witch of Lunar Kingdom - The 3D looks great, I have not watch the 2D yet.

Iceman 3D - I am recommending base on the picture quality. :tongue:

Yes, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is a good transfer - I would not deny that. But like I said I would not recommend them to the OP when there are better options out there - which I gave a few examples. :crossedlips:

But if I had to choose just 1 movie to suit the OP's purpose of testing his system them I would recommend Red Cliff. I have 3 versions of that movie and every one of them is (all around) stunning - both visual & audio.

The battle scenes, scenery & the likes are magnificent and the 5.1 soundtrack is impressive. Personally (which means me :tongue:) because of my setup, I lean toward the Mei Ah release because of their 7.1 soundtrack which is breathtaking. As great as the 5.1 is the 7.1 lift it up a notch (to me).

With all this talking, I am going to pop in Red Cliff and give it an other viewing. I hope my neighbors do not complain about the noise.:xd:

Archived