Soul (2013) - Taiwanese Psychological Horror with Jimmy Wang Yu

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

It looks like this movie flew under most peoples radar here save for the few that checked it out at NYAFF. It's a shame, because I got around to watching it recently and would definitely give it a strong recommendation.

After a sashimi chef, played by Hsiao-chuan Chang, collapses in the Japanese restaurant that he works at in Taipei, his boss sends him to recover at his fathers home in the remote mountains of Taiwan. The father is played by kung-fu cinema legend Jimmy Wang Yu, although it should be noted there's not a single second of fight action here.

Instead, we have a quietly foreboding psychological thriller, one which entirely revolves around Chang's character of Ah-chuan not having any memory of who he is or the people around him.

What really works in this movie is just how original the story is, there's not a single long haired black ghost in sight, a hopeful sign that Asian horror has finally moved on from them. Instead, director Mong-hong Chung uses abstract images of nature, unsettlingly placed into various scenes that build up a creepy and mysterious atmosphere, amplified by the isolation of the setting the characters are in.

In many ways the beauty of nature is captured in a way that hints at something darker, while the darker scenes of violence are filmed as if they're something of beauty. It's an interesting juxtaposition.

It could be argued that 'Soul' bares some similarities to South Korean productions like 'A Tale of Two Sisters' and 'Spider Forest', in that the question is raised throughout the movie as to if what's happening are acts of the supernatural, or is what we're seeing the illusions of a damaged mind?

By the time the movie ends, it's not a question which is clearly answered, but it's certainly one that you'll be left giving a lot of thought to.

Lrkvj3ymox0

Soul-2013-1.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer

I can't believe I'm replying to my own thread for a movie this good, but finally, it looks like the Twitch team got to check this out at the Five Flavours 2014 Festival, and you can check out their review here -

http://twitchfilm.com/2014/11/five-flavours-2014-review-psychological-chiller-soul-centers-on-a-complicated-father-son-relationshi.html

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I can't believe I'm replying to my own thread for a movie this good, but finally, it looks like the Twitch team got to check this out at the Five Flavours 2014 Festival, and you can check out their review here -

Uh-oh guys... he's talking to himself. :smile:

It is a shame this film hasn't garnered more interest here. I've heard nothing but praise for it. I have it, but just haven't watched it yet. I PROMISE i'LL POST HERE WHEN i DO.

Has this movie been released on DVD or BD?

Yes, it was released by Deltamac on DVD (not sure about Blu-ray) in Hong Kong.

One Armed Boxer
Has this movie been released on DVD or BD?

Yes, it was released on HK DVD last year, both dddhouse and yesasia have it stocked -

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=14344

http://www.yesasia.com/global/soul-2014-dvd-hong-kong-version/1036245643-0-0-0-en/info.html

Uh-oh guys... he's talking to himself. :smile:

It always starts like this....:crossedlips:

It is a shame this film hasn't garnered more interest here. I've heard nothing but praise for it. I have it, but just haven't watched it yet. I PROMISE i'LL POST HERE WHEN i DO.

I'm holding you to that!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I'm holding you to that!

You just know I mean what I said, as I accidentally capitalized everything that should've been lowercase. :xd:

Archived