The King Boxer (aka Shaolin Avenger) (1971)

FrankBolte

This was one of the first kung fu movies I ever saw among crush and the way of the dragon...

The german title of king boxer was Karato- 5 tödliche finger... I just have an 30plus year old original vhs tape and cant find any other version.... no matter the language.

(there was once a german limited dvd but oop)

anyone know if the movie is out there in any format?

King Boxer (not the one with wang yu) the obe I mean has Meng Fei and Yasuaki Kurata as the main actors

the movie is really nice minus the first 20 minutes which feels a bit like a promotional video for thailand....its a real hard basher

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched it once and didn't care for it. It felt like a half-a**ed rehash of stuff we had seen in other, better movies: Vengeance!; Fist of Fury; Duel of Fists. The set design also felt like it was cobbled together from the leftovers of said movies, which made it feel like it was set in completely different times.

When exactly was the movie made? I thought it was 1972, but I've also seen sources saying it was 1971 (the thread title, for example).

Theres a couple of Dvds on ebay under the title Shaolin avenger, it has got Yasuaki Kurata in it but doesn`t mention meng fei.

Don`t know if thats the one but it is quite cheap

Killer Meteor

No Lo Leih.

Once one gets past the exhausting festival sequence that opens the film - 7 sodding minutes of Meng Fei on an elephant! - this isn't too bad. Nice use of Roy Budd's score from Flight of the Doves.

Correct, No Lieh. He was in King Boxer aka Five Fingers of Death.

This film came out several weeks after the one the OP is looking for.

The King of Boxers (with Meng Fei) was also known as "Shogun Avenger" --

but I believe it was also marketed as "The King Boxer."

Is Lo Leih in it?

I think shaolin avenger came out around 1975

Perhaps you are thinking of Chang Cheh's "The Shaolin Avengers" which came out in '76 which has no affiliation with the above film.

[edit]

Some posters I found......

The+King+of+Boxers+%281972%29+-+Belgian.jpg

The+King+of+Boxers-1972-+%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3.jpg

The+King+of+Boxers-1972.jpg

Like I said it was one of the first kung fu movies I saw..I think I actually saw it on 8mm as a kid..recently I got the german vhs tape so it was the first time after 30plus years I got to watch it again and I gotta disagre with what DrNgor said..the movie is nice for its time of 1971..it goes really bezerk after the thailand promo tourist part....

yes I was kinda jumping out of my sofa when the original track from Fat Joe´s "Flow joe" started to play...I didnt expect that...

I found the dvd on ebay now..cheers for the hinr

and thx Teako nice posters ! :)

Archived