American Revenge (formerly 'Noodle Man') (2016) - Donnie Yen

DiP

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This movie doesn't seem promising at first with a title like Noodle Man, but it has Donnie Yen's name on it, so we can expect a hit. I've read the plot synopsis and it seems pretty interesting, but I was expecting a comedy after reading that title. Regardless, I have high hopes.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Sounds kinda racist though. It's like saying, Chicken man with Chris Rock or Cracker guy with Tom Hanks.

Nah then it would be called Rice Boy.

Daming Chen, who directed the Chinese version of What Women Want, is helming the project, which will be a U.S.-China co-production.

I think Ken got it right with comedy. This doesn't exactly inspire confidence that this will be a martial arts film.

I think Ken got it right with comedy. This doesn't exactly inspire confidence that this will be a martial arts film.

But they do say that it's an action film so there has to be fight scenes or action in general. If it had been something else then I don't see why Donnie would've accepted the film in the first place.

But they do say that it's an action film so there has to be fight scenes or action in general. If it had been something else then I don't see why Donnie would've accepted the film in the first place.

Because of the money and the international recognition?

If that were the case then he would've grabbed any opportunity for as many Hollywood appearances as possible, such as the second Tomb Raider film, the crap sequel to The Mummy films, The Expendables 2 and the list goes on. But we all know how that went. Quality/exploring new things comes first for him.

Point I'm making is that Yen wouldn't have accepted this if it wasn't his brand of film, which is action films.

If that were the case then he would've grabbed any opportunity for as many Hollywood appearances as possible, such as the second Tomb Raider film, the crap sequel to The Mummy films, The Expendables 2 and the list goes on. But we all know how that went. Quality/exploring new things comes first for him.

Point I'm making is that Yen wouldn't have accepted this if it wasn't his brand of film, which is action films.

No, I believe for him it's more about exposure. In the films you mentioned he would've played the second or third fiddle like he did in BLADE 2 or HIGHLANDER ENDGAME and I guess he sees himself more as a leading man nowadays.

And he did a couple of romantic comedies over the last years so he is open to that.

He's been offered some lead roles in Hollywood recently though. For example, he was asked if wanting to accept Priority Run and another nameless project but chose CTHD 2 instead because the dialogue completely in English caught his attention. And why he accepted this film is because he thinks it's something new for him. It may be exposure but it's certainly for a genuine reason: trying out new things. So like I said, quality/exploring new material/roles comes first for some actors.

As for the non-action roles he's done, those were Hong Kong productions so that's something he could only pull off in the Chinese film market. The vast majority of his fanbase --- especially outside of China --- know him as an action actor so international investors wouldn't take the same risks of putting him in such films. So while he's open for anything, he can't do it in Hollywood because there aren't as much chances for him like in the now growing Chinese film market.

According to HK Top Ten, the film will start shooting in the coming spring and also co-star Robert De Niro and Al Pacino! Let's how this news turns out.

Source: http://hktopten.blogspot.se/2014/10/20141028-donnie-yen-spends-time-with.html

That's awesome news DiP!

Does this mean that 50 Cent is part of the cast as well? That guy has a habit of following Pacino/De Niro around. lol

Hahaha, I hope not. But it looks like 50 Cent is currently concentrating on his music now so we might not see him in movies for a while.

hahaha, i hope not. But it looks like 50 cent is currently concentrating on his music now so we might not see him in movies for a while.

"Say hello to donnie yen!!!!!"

I'm really not sure what to think of this so far. De Niro, Pacino and Yen in the same movie.I'm just wondering if it will be an action film or a thriller? I can't see De Niro and Pacino doing much action besides driving sequences, so I wonder how much of a chance Donnie will have to really showcase the action?

OpiumKungFuCracker

They should just let me write the film. Al Pacino and Deniro are retired FBI guys who are looking to settle one last score on a heist that would set them free of gambling debts. Donnie Yen will play as their muscle, you know kind of like Kato. So they go on this plotted scheme robbing the Irish Mafia and all hell breaks lose.

It would be amazing to have De Niro have just one fist fight, I mean he was Jake La Motta! I don't know if Pacino has done many fight scenes (anyone know of any?).

Why would De Niro and Pacino need to do action? They are acting greats and most of their films are driven by their exceptional method acting. Leave acting to them and action/enough room for acting to Yen.

I know they are fantastic actors, the best, but if the characters are good enough then if they do a bit of action and it's right for the character then it could be fantastic!

My post wasn't intended as a response to your post. Anyway, I can only see them using guns and chasing on foot but fighting like what Donnie does would be too much for them considering how old they are now. Maybe the traditional American-style onscreen brawls.

Oh I completely agree, if they went up against Donnie it would look silly! Perhaps an old style bar room brawl could be quite fun!

Archived