Recent David Chiang interview.

KyFi

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great interviews. I'm always glad to hear David Chaing is doing well. He always had a great attitude about the film business even when the landscape has drastically changed on so many levels since his start almost 50 years ago. Always the consumate professional...

Thanks for all of the above, interviews, pictures, even the Thai interview. What a lot of memories they bring back. I was a big fan of his back then, even joining the David Chiang Fan Club, run by a fan in Manchester UK.

In the first interview David Chiang mentions the Chow Yun-fat film, From Vegas to Macau, but his IMDB page doesn't list that movie, and I don't remember seeing him in it. He is listed in the cast for Kung Fu Jungle, Donnie Yen's new movie. Maybe he plays one of the HK martial arts masters who gets murdered by the serial killer.

From the Youtube interview above, there's a link to this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Q7N325qBbPw

with 1:15 to 11:20 consisting of David Chiang interview, old photos, and SB movie clips, in Thai and Chinese.

Nice interview, I am a Chiang fan, I got a big :biggrin: when reading one of his favorites is New One Armed Swordsman, one of my favorites as well, pretty sure I put it in that old top ten thread we did years ago!

Awesome stuff. Thanks for posting. Of course he talks about Vengeance, which hasn't appeared here in the US yet. I also noticed in the Bangkok Post article:

Earlier this week, Chiang was in town to promote Celestial Classic Movies' October line-up of four of his films — The Heroic Ones (1970), The Generation Gap (1973), The New One-Armed Swordsman (1971) and Vengeance (1970). The films will be on air at 8pm on every Saturday of October, starting tomorrow. The Celestial Classic channel can be picked up on TOT iptv 262 and CTH 78.

That says something about these films when a cable channel brings him to Thailand to promote its October lineup.

Vengeance is my favorite David Chiang movie. Although he was great in the early swordplay movies, I don't think he quite had the physique or martial arts to really be in the top tier of pure kung fu stars (in the Shaolin-style period pieces). But a movie like Vengeance was tailor-made for him, IMO---no other Shaw actor would have been as good in that one.

It was nice to read in that interview that he thought so much of Peter Cushing. I believe I had read somewhere before that Peter and he really got on well together during 7 Golden Vampires, and it's nice to see David confirm that.

Archived