NEW! Well Go USA: The Shadow Boxing and The Trail of the Broken Blade

mpm74

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shaolin swords

mpm74 thanks for the heads up on this finally some dvd releases even thou its just 2 dvds still something to look forward too :bigsmile:

I saw trail of the broken blade but never saw shadow boxing how is that flick

hope theres more to come from this :)

OpiumKungFuCracker

Holy Smokes GD-YY, these covers look amazing. I have no clue about the content but I'm sure our good friend GD-YY can chime on in with the details.

61WFMmrpgBL._SL1097_.jpg

715eZwso0KL._SL1097_.jpg

One Armed Boxer
No clue as to what these films are, but these DVDs sure look nice.

'Trail of the Broken Blade' is actually my favorite collaboration between director Chang Cheh and actor Jimmy Wang Yu. It's an old-school wuxia about, and you probably won't believe I'm talking about a Chang Cheh movie here, the romance between Wang Yu's swordsman and the girl he falls in love with. The back of the Celestial IVL DVD compares it to 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon'. While I wouldn't go that far, you get the idea. Fantastic movie.

There's a thread about 'The Shadow Boxing' here -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22396

DON'T FORGET THESE TWO FILMS WERE RELEASED ON DVD TODAY!

TRAIL OF THE BROKEN BLADE [1967] on Amazon, directed by Chang Cheh & starring Jimmy Wang Yu.

THE SHADOW BOXING [1979] on Amazon, directed by Lau Kar Leung & starring Gordon Liu.

Where are the guinea pigs? Ok, I might be tempted on these. But, reviews for the last 2 releases were not that great. I certainly do not want to double-dip and end up with something that is no better than the region 3 release that I already own. But, Amazon does have them listed at like $10 each. Maybe I will just get one of these and see how it goes. At worst, I could just blow $10. Wouldn't be the first time.....***

***(I blew $20, damn it!. I picked up both. Trail was on my list to check out at some point and I thought that I might as well get TSB too. Unless someone else posts pics or review, then I will once they come in.)

This is the last of the Well Go releases. When asked if they will release more they said no because of bootlegs and there other titles not selling enough. We never had many Shaw titles in the UK now it looks like the USA is in the same boat. The only country that seems to be releasing Shaw DVDs or Blu rays is Germany and Japan and most of these are not English friendly.

"Because of bootlegs" such a horse shit cop out. Just admit they aren't selling enough. Plenty of other imported films/series have been bootlegged a lot more and for a long time and they are still released and sold. Hell, look at anime.

Our genre is just very niche market, and only company's that love the stuff like we do will put it out. People wouldn't buy as many bootlegs if the legit releases were more consistent. Shit, a lot of bootlegs aren't even cheap.

With that said El Rey is doing us a great service.

Killer Meteor
"Because of bootlegs" such a horse shit cop out. Just admit they aren't selling enough. Plenty of other imported films/series have been bootlegged a lot more and for a long time and they are still released and sold. Hell, look at anime.

Our genre is just very niche market, and only company's that love the stuff like we do will put it out. People wouldn't buy as many bootlegs if the legit releases were more consistent. Shit, a lot of bootlegs aren't even cheap.

To be fair, I think the obscure nature of these particular films has something to do with it. Some fu may well still be popular, it's just not getting released.

Hopefully, Well Go will clear up the absurd "Go, eat something" subtitle from a dying characters on Trail.

To be fair, I think the obscure nature of these particular films has something to do with it. Some fu may well still be popular, it's just not getting released.

Hopefully, Well Go will clear up the absurd "Go, eat something" subtitle from a dying characters on Trail.

I agree. I just get annoyed at so many fingers being pointed at bootlegs. I'm sure it is part ofthe problem, but I'm also sure it is far from paramount. If there is a film I haven't seen, and may never see otherwise (with te consistency of releases or lack there of) I'll buy a bootleg to see it.

With that said, I probably own about 8x as many legitimate releases than I do bootlegs, and I definitely buy and support real releases. For movies I really like that are released after I have a bootleg, I will even still but it!

Killer Meteor
I agree. I just get annoyed at so many fingers being pointed at bootlegs. I'm sure it is part ofthe problem, but I'm also sure it is far from paramount. If there is a film I haven't seen, and may never see otherwise (with te consistency of releases or lack there of) I'll buy a bootleg to see it.

With that said, I probably own about 8x as many legitimate releases than I do bootlegs, and I definitely buy and support real releases. For movies I really like that are released after I have a bootleg, I will even still but it!

The problem with kung fu bootlegs is that they were being sold in stores. So there was less incentive for a store to get the official Media Blasters release when there was a Panmedia one in their inventory.

Understandable, I only saw them at FYE where I live, besides that just a kiosk in the mall. Both places were overpriced and I couldn't imagine having many sales. (The kiosk was $20 a movie or 2 for $15 ea.)

OpiumKungFuCracker

Well said. I'd say there isn't even that many bootlegs of Kung Fu movies compared to other genres, "oh the irony!" I agree if companies start releasing these films at a more consistent rate and better marketing and word of mouth, then they wouldn't have any problems with the lack of profit. The more, the merrier.

I picked up The Shadow Boxing and The Trail of the Broken Blade.

The Shadow Boxing Region 1 looks about the same as Region 3. The only reason to get this one is just to have it on Region 1. It is widescreen.

Trail of the Broken Blade is listed as 16:9 Widescreen but it is not anamorphic. It suffers the same fate as Swordsman & Enchantress; it only takes up the middle of your screen.

The Shadow Boxing:

Region 3 -

post-233-144191903185_thumb.jpg

Region 1 -

post-233-144191903198_thumb.jpg

Region 3 -

post-233-14419190321_thumb.jpg

Region 1 -

post-233-144191903222_thumb.jpg

Region 3 -

post-233-144191903623_thumb.jpg

Region 1 -

post-233-144191903638_thumb.jpg

Trail of the Broken Blade:

(from the Region 1 dvd release) -

post-233-14419190365_thumb.jpg

post-233-14419190366_thumb.jpg

post-233-144191903669_thumb.jpg

Secret Executioner
Trail of the Broken Blade is listed as 16:9 Widescreen but it is not anamorphic.

Did we get back 10 years in the past ? Cause I swear releases like that came out in 2003-2004...

it is 100% clear they are getting 4:3 Master Tapes but have no idea how to upscale them to 16:9, this is truly embarassing. Even IVL did it for their 10 year old DVD and nobody complained about that.

Archived