Ti Lung in his prime.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Judging by Ti Lung's thinning hair, I'm thinking these photos were possibly taken in the early/mid 80's...

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
i put this up on fb last night, wonder what year this was taken ?

Good job rdenn.

I have no idea.

GD Y-Y

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

The question arises.

What is Ti Lung's martial background?

tilung6.jpgGD Y-Y

What movie is this still from?

GD Y-Y

Betty Pei Ti

Judging from his garment and haircut I would say that this still is from The Return of the One-Armed Swordsman. If I remember correctly he took a very small role in this movie and has soon be killed by bad guys.

Concerning the picture in the opening post - funny to think that even asian men could lose their hair/get bold. :wink:

Doesn't he wear also the same clothes in Have sword will travel or am I mistaken (I saw it a while ago...) ?

Betty Pei Ti

@ShawAngela, I looked up some pictures and it seems to me, that his clothing in that movie is light blue not white.

Eastern Evil

He was in Return of the One Armed Swordsman for like a minute - he was wearing similar clothes in that if I remember correct.

Betty Pei Ti

Perhaps it's from Have Sword Will Travel after all, because the picture is not as good as to show the color of his clothes correctly. I began to reconsider this movie because in Return of the One-armed Swordsman he fought nearly bare chested:

Return of the One-armed Swordsman

pRfvtll9PfA

Have Sword Will Travel

RYe4mG5cqr4

http://www.gotterdammerung.org/film/reviews/h/have-sword-will-travel.html

NoKUNGFUforYU

Ti Lung studied Wing Chun, as well as Tae Kwon do or Hapkido, in interviews he mentions studying several martial arts. He was very athletic, if you watch new one armed swordsman, you can see he really knows how to work the stances and positions with the double swords, unlike David Chiang. Also watch the beginning of Mercenaries from Hong Kong, where he works the bag. He's not bad, unlike Beardy in Profile in Anger, who looks terrible. The bag can sometimes reveal how good a fighter you are better than choreographed fights.

Even Bruce Lee wasn't exactly stellar on the heavy bag-

aObGLTfJa1w

Manny on the bag

BAdeWxeqGa8

Sugar Ray Robinson Training-

IBBiQx8bMDU

If you watch Robinson, you can the amount of complexity that the higher levels of western boxing match Kung Fu- crazy footwork, flexibility, movement, power- it's all there. There' s just no kicks or "chi" blasts.

Anyway, back to Ti Lung, he was an actor, but from what I have read through out the years, he took his training off screen pretty seriously, unlike many of the others at Shaws, etc.

Secret Executioner

Concerning this picture:

tilung6.jpg

My initial guess was ( from the pictures on the Four Swords DVD set - of which this film is part of - and the trailer I've seen) Have Sword, Will Travel. The hairdo and the costume look a lot like Ti Lung's appearance in this one - guess it gives me another reason for checking it out (the other one being all the praise I've read - this film seems to be highly regarded by Shaw Bros fans).

Ti Lung studied Wing Chun, as well as Tae Kwon do or Hapkido, in interviews he mentions studying several martial arts. He was very athletic, if you watch new one armed swordsman, you can see he really knows how to work the stances and positions with the double swords, unlike David Chiang. Also watch the beginning of Mercenaries from Hong Kong, where he works the bag. He's not bad, unlike Beardy in Profile in Anger, who looks terrible. The bag can sometimes reveal how good a fighter you are better than choreographed fights.

Even Bruce Lee wasn't exactly stellar on the heavy bag-

aObGLTfJa1w

Manny on the bag

BAdeWxeqGa8

Sugar Ray Robinson Training-

IBBiQx8bMDU

If you watch Robinson, you can the amount of complexity that the higher levels of western boxing match Kung Fu- crazy footwork, flexibility, movement, power- it's all there. There' s just no kicks or "chi" blasts.

Anyway, back to Ti Lung, he was an actor, but from what I have read through out the years, he took his training off screen pretty seriously, unlike many of the others at Shaws, etc.

Hitting the heavy bag doesn't reveal a thing about the type of fighter one may be... It only reveals one's punching technique and whether they are punching with appropriate power and leverage. You can look like a world beater in the gym, only to turn out to be a bag beater in real life. James "Lights Out" Tony coined that phrase.

George Foreman could leave a half moon like dent in the heavy bag, but never dented Ali; in fact it was Foreman ' s face that looked worse for wear after he was ko'd.

ALiForeman.jpg

:nerd:

Archived