Rush Hour: The Series (2016) - Jon Foo, Justin Hires, Page Kennedy, Aimee Garcia

AlbertV

Dark Horizons:

With the "Rush Hour" film franchise pretty much over, Warner Bros. TV has decided to try and reinvent it on the small screen with a prime-time TV series reboot in the works.

"Cougar Town" co-creator Bill Lawrence and Blake McCormick will pen the series which follows a straight-laced Hong Kong police officer assigned to a case in Los Angeles. He finds himself forced to work with a cocky African-American L.A.P.D. officer who has no interest in having a partner.

Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker starred in the original 1998 film and its two subsequent sequels. Brett Ratner, who directed all three films, will serve as executive producer on the show alongside Arthur Sarkissian and Jeff Ingold.

Edited by AlbertV

• Administrator

Whaaaaaat??? :ooh:

Oh no. The only reason that tired premise worked (to some degree) in the films is because of Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker. With JC's physical skills and comic timing and Tucker's irreverent motor-mouth insults and comedy chops they were able to elevate a paper-thin premise to relatively enjoyable popcorn fun. But a TV series? Didn't they already do this? I think it was called MARTIAL LAW! So the RUSH HOUR films were already a rehash of something, and now we're going to re-cook that concoction again?

The only optimism I can find for this project is that it may give some fresh blood a shot. If it gives some fantastic unknown Asian martial artist, and an up and coming African American comedian a platform to show what they can do, then that's a positive. I'll likely tune in for the first episode... :squigglemouth:

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude
The only optimism I can find for this project is that it may give some fresh blood a shot. If it gives some fantastic unknown Asian martial artist, and an up and coming African American comedian a platform to show what they can do, then that's a positive. I'll likely tune in for the first episode... :squigglemouth:

How about if it had comedic Asian and African-American actors who both martial artists? Double the comedy and the fu action! :nerd:

• Like 1

OpiumKungFuCracker

If this doesn't star Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker what is the freaking point? It's really not that great of an idea in the first place, the franchise is really showcase and a vehicle for Jackie Chan and Christ TUcker. This is so lame, Oh my god!

As you all heard, the characters of Lee and Carter are returning but they will of course, be played by new actors.

I just got official word that in charge of the series' action sequences will be none other than a KFC favorite...James Lew

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Jon Foo has been cast as Inspector Lee according to Film Combat Syndicate.

Okay, at least they did hire a martial artist for the role.

• Like 1

OpiumKungFuCracker

Kevin Hart/Dave Chapelle/Tim Meadows/Chris Rock/Keenan Thompson/Hannibal Buress/Reggie Watts/ As Detective Carter????

ShaOW!linDude

Don't know that I'm the biggest fan of having James Lew as a choreographer. I can't recall ever seeing anything he did that really stood out to me or made me take notice.

I'm all for Jon Foo!!! :bigsmile:

Kevin Hart would be great but he's blowing up right now, so I don't know that he would jump on this, but they need someone comparable to Chris Tucker for sure.

Don't know that I'm the biggest fan of having James Lew as a choreographer. I can't recall ever seeing anything he did that really stood out to me or made me take notice.

I'm all for Jon Foo!!! :bigsmile:

Kevin Hart would be great but he's blowing up right now, so I don't know that he would jump on this, but they need someone comparable to Chris Tucker for sure.

James Lew choreographed the upcoming Martial Arts Kid and he helped with choreography on Phillip Rhee's Underdog Kids as well. From what I've seen on both films from trailers and promos, they look like they could be some of his best stuff yet.

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude
James Lew choreographed the upcoming Martial Arts Kid and he helped with choreography on Phillip Rhee's Underdog Kids as well. From what I've seen on both films from trailers and promos, they look like they could be some of his best stuff yet.

Won't know till I see it.

Justin Hires has been cast in the Chris Tucker role. I've never heard of this guy.

http://filmcombatsyndicate.blogspot.com/2015/03/justin-hires-joins-rush-hour-tv-series.html?m=1

If you saw the 21 JUMP STREET movie, Justin played the homosexual African-American friend of Dave Franco's character. He also was on an MTV show called Jerks with Cameras. Apparently he is a comedian as well, so it just might work for the TV level with him and Foo, but we'll have to see.

ShaOW!linDude
If you saw the 21 JUMP STREET movie...

I didn't because I actually enjoyed the tv show back in the day, but the promos for the film looked idiotic. I missed nothing.

He also was on an MTV show called Jerks with Cameras.

Yeah, MTV sux. I don't waste my time with it.

We'll see what happens. Honestly, since Jackie Chan had mentioned doing a 4th film, I wouldn't be surprised if the this show gets canceled, which I think would be a shame. I think it would make for a good series.

If you saw the 21 JUMP STREET movie, Justin played the homosexual African-American friend of Dave Franco's character. He also was on an MTV show called Jerks with Cameras. Apparently he is a comedian as well, so it just might work for the TV level with him and Foo, but we'll have to see.

"I was gay when you punched me!"

With Jon Foo onboard, this might actually be worth a look or two.

Shooting on the pilot began yesterday. The cast includes Jon Foo as Lee, Justin Hires as Carter, Jessica Van as Kim, Aimee Garcia as Diaz, and Leon Lee.

It's Official: The series has been greenlit and is expected to premiere in January on CBS. I got the official word from James Lew via his Facebook page.

Jon Foo and Justin Hires are Lee and Carter and series regulars include Aimee Garcia and Jessica Van. James Lew will be sticking around as the series' stunt and fight coordinator.

First trailer

nm9iwe9tO_Q

IDK...I'm a bit skeptical, but I'll wait til it premieres before judgment.

Official synopsis for the pilot from Warner Brothers, who did a test screening for worldwide distributors, who actually praised the pilot.

RUSH HOUR, a reimagining of the hit feature film franchise, is a buddy-cop drama about a maverick LAPD detective and a by-the-book detective from Hong Kong who knock heads when they are forced to partner together. Detective Lee (Jon Foo) is a reserved, honorable master martial artist with lightning-fast moves who comes to L.A. to avenge his sister’s alleged death and learn more about her connection to a Chinese organized crime ring. Detective Carter (Justin Hires), on the other hand, is a wisecracking cop who plays by his own rules and has never wanted a partner. As exasperated as Carter’s boss, Captain Cole (Golden Globe and Emmy Award nominee Wendie Malick), gets with him, she knows he’s a brilliant detective who gets results. Attempting to help the two get along is Sergeant Didi Diaz (Aimee Garcia), Carter’s friend and former partner who doesn’t hesitate to call him out on his antics. But even as cultures clash and tempers flare, Carter and Lee can’t deny they make a formidable team, and grudgingly admit that sometimes an unlikely pairing makes for a great partnership. Bill Lawrence, Blake McCormick, Jeff Ingold, Jon Turteltaub and the team behind the “Rush Hour” movies, Arthur Sarkissian and Brett Ratner, are executive producers for Warner Bros. Television. The pilot was directed by Jon Turtletaub.

Steve Franks, who worked on the hit USA series Psych (which recently ended), is the show runner. Brett Ratner, Arthur Sarkissian (the film trilogy's producer), Bill Lawrence, Blake McCormick, Jeff Ingold, and Jon Turtletaub, along with Franks are the executive producers.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I would love to see this for the curiosity factor. I love a good buddy cop tv show sorely missed in the 70s and 80s.

Well, the pilot apparently got good test scores, hence the series being greenlit and it turns out James Lew only choreographed the pilot. Jeff Wolfe of Once Upon a Time in China and America and Black Cobra, is the series' stunt coordinator/fight choreographer.