Kung Fu Screenings at the New Beverly Cinema in LA

KenHashibe

Shaolin Patriot

New November calendar! Unfortunately, no Hong Kong movies, but they do have Mad Max Fury Road, Friday the 13th, Singin' in the Rain, and some other classics. I'm thinking of going to their Western triple feature on the 24th. We'll see.

I intend to see the Michael Mann films on Nov. 21.  You also get a dosage of Tetsuro Tanba in Five Man Army on Nov. 24.  Maybe I'll see you then! 

Edited by Shaolin Patriot
  • Like 1

I intend to see the Michael Mann films on Nov. 21.  You also get a dosage of Tetsuro Tanba in Five Man Army on Nov. 24.  Maybe I'll see you then! 

Awesome! It'd be great to meet up with you again. I haven't Five Man Army but the trailer makes it looks really good. As long as American Cinematheque doesn't any schedule any kung fu movies in November, I think I'll try to make it to the triple feature on the 24th.

Enjoy that Michael Mann double feature on the 21st.

The New Bev's Twitter said that their December calendar will be released sometime tomorrow. Their first week of programming is already on their website though.

http://www.thenewbev.com/

Also, I'm immediately assuming that Die Hard is going to be on their calendar. I hope their calendar will feature other action movies that take place in December. *cough* Police Story.

Here's the December calendar:

?format=1000w

?format=1000w

I'm not really interested in most of the movies this month. The Kill Bill double feature is cool. They also have their annual Grindhouse Christmas double feature: Black Chirstmas and Silent Night, Deadly Night, but no Hong Kong movies this time.

I hope there will show some Hong Kong movies soon.

Edited by KenHashibe

masterofoneinchpunch

Watch Harold Lloyd one the most underrated silent film comedians (underrated now, he was almost and sometimes as popular as Chaplin.)  There is some pretty good films up there from John Ford's The Lost Patrol to the Marx Brothers triple feature (would be nice if they mentioned which three.)

Watch Harold Lloyd one the most underrated silent film comedians (underrated now, he was almost and sometimes as popular as Chaplin.)  There is some pretty good films up there from John Ford's The Lost Patrol to the Marx Brothers triple feature (would be nice if they mentioned which three.)

I love Harold Lloyd. I don't think I'd consider him underrated though. I consider him one of the three best silent-comedians (along with Chaplin and Keaton).

The Marx Brothers triple feature is great too (not sure what films they're going to show yet), but I honestly don't feel any strong obligation to go to any of the movies this month.

masterofoneinchpunch

I love Harold Lloyd. I don't think I'd consider him underrated though. I consider him one of the three best silent-comedians (along with Chaplin and Keaton).

The Marx Brothers triple feature is great too (not sure what films they're going to show yet), but I honestly don't feel any strong obligation to go to any of the movies this month.

Underrated in the general sense of both popularity and with critics, not necessarily in the silent fan sense (which is it's own niche of fans.) It is interesting to see the ebb and flow of silent comedian reputations over the years.  With the exception of Chaplin it is easy to say several prominent silent comedians are underrated especially in comparing to sound comedians just because so many people have not heard of them: Harold Lloyd especially compared to how popular he was in the 1920s (this is a given considering the time distance for all those comedians.)  Keaton's critical popularity has especially risen over the years since his films started to be shown again in the 1960s.  Harold Lloyd's films were not shown as much (Lloyd had the rights to his films but for a variety of reasons) so they were not seen as much which did hurt his reputation by omission.  Now Safety Last! is his most famous (and I believe has the most IMDB votes) though I like so many of his films and shorts.  Also you will see Lloyd on much fewer critical canon lists than either Keaton or Chaplin.

I also think Charley Chase is quite underrated though that is more understandable since he really never got much into features.

Shaolin Patriot

I might try to catch the Richard Harris films - Man In the Wilderness & Man Called Horse on the 10th.  

Underrated in the general sense of both popularity and with critics, not necessarily in the silent fan sense (which is it's own niche of fans.) It is interesting to see the ebb and flow of silent comedian reputations over the years.  With the exception of Chaplin it is easy to say several prominent silent comedians are underrated especially in comparing to sound comedians just because so many people have not heard of them: Harold Lloyd especially compared to how popular he was in the 1920s (this is a given considering the time distance for all those comedians.)  Keaton's critical popularity has especially risen over the years since his films started to be shown again in the 1960s.  Harold Lloyd's films were not shown as much (Lloyd had the rights to his films but for a variety of reasons) so they were not seen as much which did hurt his reputation by omission.  Now Safety Last! is his most famous (and I believe has the most IMDB votes) though I like so many of his films and shorts.  Also you will see Lloyd on much fewer critical canon lists than either Keaton or Chaplin.

I also think Charley Chase is quite underrated though that is more understandable since he really never got much into features.

Thanks for the info. I loved Safety Last. I don't know if I have a favorite silent comedian. Chaplin definitely had a good transition into sound pictures though. The Great Dictator is probably one of my favorite movies. I've been meaning to rewatch some of the classic silent-films.

Also, I honestly hadn't heard of Charley Chase. I looked him up on Google and I'm not familiar with his filmography. And if you try to look him up, make sure you specify that you're looking for the silent-movie actor and not the "actress."

I might try to catch the Richard Harris films - Man In the Wilderness & Man Called Horse on the 10th.  

Enjoy!

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch

Thanks for the info. I loved Safety Last. I don't know if I have a favorite silent comedian. Chaplin definitely had a good transition into sound pictures though. The Great Dictator is probably one of my favorite movies. I've been meaning to rewatch some of the classic silent-films.

Also, I honestly hadn't heard of Charley Chase. I looked him up on Google and I'm not familiar with his filmography. And if you try to look him up, make sure you specify that you're looking for the silent-movie actor and not the "actress."

Enjoy!

Yeah I had that issue with Charley Chase as well (same thing happens on Amazon.)

Keaton had the worst transition to sound of "the big three" at first (still nothing compared to say ultimately Douglas Fairbanks, the Talmadge sisters, John Gilbert*)  though he would have some pertinent comebacks.  But the big issue was MGM was just using him wrong with the worst when Keaton was paired with Jimmy Durante.  Funny enough his first for MGM The Cameraman is still a great film.  MGM even thought so and used it as a training comedy film, but the difference is that they thought they made it funny not Keaton.

The Great Dictator is a fine film.  I hope you have the Criterion release.  Movie Crazy is my favorite Harold Lloyd sound film.  Keaton had some good sound shorts with Educational (his Columbia shorts are too Stooge like), but his lead films were mostly disappointing.  However, he was in some great films like Sunset Boulevard :). 

A couple of the greatest transitions from silent to sound (not directors) have to be Laurel and Hardy and for drama Greta Garbo.  I might include W.C. Fields if I have seen more of his silents (his sounds are considered much better.)

* Funny enough the canard about his voice was not true.  He did not have a great voice, but it wasn't particularly bad either.  He had other issues like health and fighting with Louis B. Mayer (something that Buster did as well that hurt his career).

Yeah I had that issue with Charley Chase as well (same thing happens on Amazon.)
Keaton had the worst transition to sound of "the big three" at first (still nothing compared to say ultimately Douglas Fairbanks, the Talmadge sisters, John Gilbert*)  though he would have some pertinent comebacks.  But the big issue was MGM was just using him wrong with the worst when Keaton was paired with Jimmy Durante.  Funny enough his first for MGM The Cameraman is still a great film.  MGM even thought so and used it as a training comedy film, but the difference is that they thought they made it funny not Keaton.

The Great Dictator is a fine film.  I hope you have the Criterion release.  Movie Crazy is my favorite Harold Lloyd sound film.  Keaton had some good sound shorts with Educational (his Columbia shorts are too Stooge like), but his lead films were mostly disappointing.  However, he was in some great films like Sunset Boulevard :). 

A couple of the greatest transitions from silent to sound (not directors) have to be Laurel and Hardy and for drama Greta Garbo.  I might include W.C. Fields if I have seen more of his silents (his sounds are considered much better.)

* Funny enough the canard about his voice was not true.  He did not have a great voice, but it wasn't particularly bad either.  He had other issues like health and fighting with Louis B. Mayer (something that Buster did as well that hurt his career).

Wow, you know a lot about, not just Hong Kong movies, but movies in general.

I still enjoyed some of Keaton's smaller roles after the silent movie-age (Twilight Zone, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), but still not many (any?) starring roles. I'll probably check out The Cameraman someday. Haven't seen it yet.

I actually got the Chaplin Collection edition of The Great Dictator from the library. Great release of the movie though. Criterion's cover of that movie is excellent.

Thanks for all of the recommendations. There are so many movies to watch now.

BTW The movies playing at the Marx Brothers triple feature are Horse Feathers, A Night at the Opera, and Animal Crackers.

masterofoneinchpunch

... I still enjoyed some of Keaton's smaller roles after the silent movie-age (Twilight Zone, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), but still not many (any?) starring roles. I'll probably check out The Cameraman someday. Haven't seen it yet.

... Thanks for all of the recommendations. There are so many movies to watch now.

BTW The movies playing at the Marx Brothers triple feature are Horse Feathers, A Night at the Opera, and Animal Crackers.

Those are three great Marx Brothers films.  Two from the Paramount era and one from the MGM era (A Night at the Opera.)  The later Marx films are just not as good, though they all have their moments and most are worth watching (unlike some I do not consider The Story of Mankind to be a Marx Brothers film, hard to get and not particularly worth watching.)

To start out with Keaton I would suggest Sherlock Jr. or The General.  Those are his two most famous silents and quite good, though you cannot do wrong with College, Seven Chances, The Navigator and Our Hospitality.  Also check out his shorts which are quite good as well.  I finally saw the Twilight Zone episode of his just this year.   I grew up watching several times 
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum but it wasn't until I knew more about Keaton that I realized he was in it and saw it on DVD.  Sad that he would not live much longer (like in the Kurosawa film Ikiru the doctors never told him he was dying of cancer.)

Oh the movie watching never ends does it :D.  A curse and a blessing, mostly a blessing.  Sorry for all the overload of info, I just get excited with some of these actors.

You lucky Portlanders:

http://hollywoodtheatre.org/kung-fu-theater-prodigal-son/

Was anyone planning on going to this? If so, could you let me know what language it's in? I'm hoping that after Portland, this print will come down to LA. Thanks.

@masterofoneinchpunch Thanks for all of those recommendations. I get excited when talking about movies too. I already have 10 other kung fu movies that I've been meaning to watch already. Thanks again.

Edited by KenHashibe

I hope you guys like Tarantino films:

12376071_10153062629210904_1951516132313

10398485_10153062629710904_2613608771528

No kung fu this month (except for Kill Bill), but I'm sure a lot of the regulars won't mind the mass amounts of Tarantino. It's his theater after all.

The New Beverly will show a double feature of "The One–Armed Swordsman"/"Return of the One-Armed Swordsman" next month, on FOUR TUESDAYS IN A ROW!

The reason for the four showings, could be because "Return of the One-Armed Swordsman" will be a brand new 35mm Print.

For "Return OTOAS", the New Beverly site says, "No other known print of this martial arts classic exists!".  There is a slight chance, however, that the collection of old HK film cans(now given to the UCLA Film Archive) that were found at L.A. Chinatown's King Hing/Sing Lee Theatre, includes "Return OTOAS".  I don't know for sure.

One of those HK film reel cans was labeled "A Better Tomorrow 3".  Sorry to go off-topic, but I wanted to talk about that, ever since I saw some photos of the King Hing Theatre finally re-opening, but it only has some special events there and no HK movie screenings for now.

Anyway, here is some info about the "TOAS"/"ROTOAS" double feature.  Click on the "Schedule" button, on the top menu, for other info also:

http://thenewbev.com/program/february-7-the-one-armed-swordsman-return-of-the-one-armed-swordsman/

• Like 3

After 8 months of waiting, Hong Kong movies have finally returned to the New Beverly.

http://thenewbev.com/schedule/

The last time I saw Hong Kong movies at the New Beverly were Snake in the Eagle's Shadow/Monkey's Shadow back in April of last year (The last time I've been to the New Bev at all was for Harakiri/Samurai Rebellion in July 2016). So it's been a long time since I've been the New Beverly and I'm so excited to return this February.

They'll be showing The One Armed Swordsman/Return of the One Armed Swordsman every Tuesday in February, as well as Shall We Dance?/Brief Encounter in Shinjuku on the 22nd and 23rd. I'm not sure when I'll see the OAS double feature yet, but I'm probably going to the other double feature on the 22nd.

I hope this trend of Asian cinema continues. Can't wait!

12 hours ago, wackiechan said:

For "Return OTOAS", the New Beverly site says, "No other known print of this martial arts classic exists!".  There is a slight chance, however, that the collection of old HK film cans(now given to the UCLA Film Archive) that were found at L.A. Chinatown's King Hing/Sing Lee Theatre, includes "Return OTOAS".  I don't know for sure.

One of those HK film reel cans was labeled "A Better Tomorrow 3".  Sorry to go off-topic, but I wanted to talk about that, ever since I saw some photos of the King Hing Theatre finally re-opening, but it only has some special events there and no HK movie screenings for now.

Wait, the King Hing Theatre is reopening? Please keep me updated on the future of this theatre and the films they recovered. That's really exciting news!

Edited by KenHashibe

Damn, February is like the best month ever!

La La Land has been added to their calendar on the 10th and 11th and I'm screaming internally right now (paired with the oh so beloved musical, At Long Last Love). On the 10th, La La Land director, Damien Chazelle, is scheduled to be there in person. No promises that I'll be able to make it though (I imagine tickets will sell out VERY quickly), but we'll see. AAHHHHHH!!!

Shaolin Patriot
On 1/25/2017 at 3:31 AM, wackiechan said:

The New Beverly will show a double feature of "The One–Armed Swordsman"/"Return of the One-Armed Swordsman" next month, on FOUR TUESDAYS IN A ROW!

The reason for the four showings, could be because "Return of the One-Armed Swordsman" will be a brand new 35mm Print.

Anyway, here is some info about the "TOAS"/"ROTOAS" double feature.  Click on the "Schedule" button, on the top menu, for other info also:

http://thenewbev.com/program/february-7-the-one-armed-swordsman-return-of-the-one-armed-swordsman/

Glad to see the return of kung fu Tuesdays at the New Bev.  Looking forward to going on one of those days.

POSSIBLE VERY MINOR SPOILERS:

So I went to the "One Armed Swordsman"/"Return of the One Armed Swordsman" double feature this past Tuesday.  I decided to only watch the trailers before "OAS"(because I already saw "OAS" in the past), then skip that movie and go eat dinner nearby, then go back to see "Return of TOAS".

Before "OAS", a Bugs Bunny cartoon called "The Singing Sword" was shown, and then there were U.S. English dubbed trailers of:

"One Armed Boxer Vs. The Flying Guillotine"

"Blood of the Dragon"

"Hammer of God"(AKA "The Chinese Boxer")

After having dinner, I went back to the theatre to see "Return of TOAS".  This time, it was not U.S. dubbed trailers shown.  It was the HK trailers for "Five Element Ninjas" and "House of Traps".

"Return of TOAS" was good, but there are other Jimmy Wang Yu movies that seem to be better.  For some reason, some scenes looked similar to "Master of the Flying Guillotine" and "Five Element Ninjas".  Then again, it could be because Liu Chia Liang was one of the fight choreographers of the "Return of TOAS", if that's true.  By the way, Liu Chia Liang appeared in the movie, and there were cameos from Ti Lung and David Chiang.

The host of the screening, named Brian, said for late March 2017, the New Beverly will show a HK '80s double feature.  He also said there's a chance of more Shaw Bros movies coming soon to the New Bev.

It looks like Brian was right.  Next month, a HK double feature of "Heroes Shed No Tears"(John Woo?) and "Eastern Condors" will be shown.  Too bad it wasn't a Sammo Hung double feature of "Dragons Forever" or "Millionaires Express" w/ "Eastern Condors", instead of "HSNT".  I also still wish the New Bev can show "Tiger on the Beat" again, possibly w/ "Operation Scorpio".  "Tiger on the Beat" is a very good HK movie to see with a crowd, because of those two incredible action scenes in the movie.

Anyway, sorry if this was a long message.  Here is the March 2017 schedule for the New Beverly.

New Bev 2017 03-COMBINED-FINAL.pdf

• Like 1

It seems Hong Kong movies are making a return to the New Bev... (open image in new tab to get see the calendars more clearly)

March-2017-New-Bev-front.jpg

March-2017-New-Bev-back.jpg

As for Hong Kong movies, Heroes Shed No Tears (1986) and Eastern Condors (1987) will be shown March 28 which is super cool. I haven't seen HSNT before and Eastern Condors is a great movie, so this a pretty exciting screening. I'm trying to not get my hopes too high since there's a high chance I won't be able to attend. Schedule permits, I'd love to attend.

As for Asian cinema in general, "Two classic Japanese horror films from director Kaneto Shindo", Kuroneko (1968) and Onibaba (1964) will be screening March 17th and 18th.

As for movies in general, freaking Batman: The Movie (1964) is being shown as a kiddee matinee which is amazing. Also, there's the Nicolas Cage classic, Vampire's Kiss (1988) as a midnight screening on the 25th. Also amazing, of course.

18 hours ago, wackiechan said:

POSSIBLE VERY MINOR SPOILERS:

So I went to the "One Armed Swordsman"/"Return of the One Armed Swordsman" double feature this past Tuesday.  I decided to only watch the trailers before "OAS"(because I already saw "OAS" in the past), then skip that movie and go eat dinner nearby, then go back to see "Return of TOAS".

Before "OAS", a Bugs Bunny cartoon called "The Singing Sword" was shown, and then there were U.S. English dubbed trailers of: "One Armed Boxer Vs. The Flying Guillotine" "Blood of the Dragon" "Hammer of God"(AKA "The Chinese Boxer")

After having dinner, I went back to the theatre to see "Return of TOAS".  This time, it was not U.S. dubbed trailers shown.  It was the HK trailers for "Five Element Ninjas" and "House of Traps".

"Return of TOAS" was good, but there are other Jimmy Wang Yu movies that seem to be better.  For some reason, some scenes looked similar to "Master of the Flying Guillotine" and "Five Element Ninjas".  Then again, it could be because Liu Chia Liang was one of the fight choreographers of the "Return of TOAS", if that's true.  By the way, Liu Chia Liang appeared in the movie, and there were cameos from Ti Lung and David Chiang.

The host of the screening, named Brian, said for late March 2017, the New Beverly will show a HK '80s double feature.  He also said there's a chance of more Shaw Bros movies coming soon to the New Bev.

It looks like Brian was right.  Next month, a HK double feature of "Heroes Shed No Tears"(John Woo?) and "Eastern Condors" will be shown.  Too bad it wasn't a Sammo Hung double feature of "Dragons Forever" or "Millionaires Express" w/ "Eastern Condors", instead of "HSNT".  I also still wish the New Bev can show "Tiger on the Beat" again, possibly w/ "Operation Scorpio".  "Tiger on the Beat" is a very good HK movie to see with a crowd, because of those two incredible action scenes in the movie.

Anyway, sorry if this was a long message.  Here is the March 2017 schedule for the New Beverly.

New Bev 2017 03-COMBINED-FINAL.pdf

Thanks for the rundown, @wackiechan. The Master of the Flying Guillotine and House of Traps trailers sound amazing.

Definitely many scenes in Return reminded me of Five Element Ninjas. Ultra-violent, over-the-top action. Fun, cartoony villains.

Also, is Brian Quinn back?! I haven't seen that guy since the renovation in September 2015! Maybe that's why Hong Kong movies are starting to come back. He'd always introduce the films and give his brief review of each movie. I've missed that guy.

I don't think I'll be attending the OAS double feature this month since I've already seen OAS at the New Bev and since Return really isn't one of my favorites. I will be attending Shall We Dance?/Brief Encounter in Shinjuku though this Wednesday so I can still support Asian cinema at the theater. Also, because I've wanted to see these movies for a long time. Can't wait!

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 1

Shaolin Patriot
On 2/19/2017 at 7:37 AM, KenHashibe said:

It seems Hong Kong movies are making a return to the New Bev... (open image in new tab to get see the calendars more clearly)

March-2017-New-Bev-front.jpg

March-2017-New-Bev-back.jpg

Also, is Brian Quinn back?! I haven't seen that guy since the renovation in September 2015! Maybe that's why Hong Kong movies are starting to come back. He'd always introduce the films and give his brief review of each movie. I've missed that guy.

Yes, Brian is back after hiatus with just as much enthusiasm as before.

Looking forward to seeing the OAS double-feature at the end of this month and Heroes Shed No Tears / Eastern Condors the end of next month.

I'm looking forward to Shall We Dance?/Brief Encounter in Shinjuku tonight! I'm hoping to see Brian Quinn again. I'm also hoping for an Eastern Condors trailer. That'd be amazing!

I'm kinda late with this one, but still...

Even though this screening has nothing to do with martial arts cinema (unfortunately), I still wanted to leave a brief rundown of the Shall We Dance?/Brief Encounter in Shinjuku double feature on February 22nd.

This was my first time going to the New Beverly Cinema in more than six months. The last time I went was in July 2016 for Harakiri/Samurai Rebellion which was amazing. While I got early dinner at the Chinese restaurant across the street, I was getting giddy just seeing the marquee through the window. I really missed this place.

They showed a Disney cartoon called “Pluto’s Blue Note” before the trailer reel which was pretty cute. The trailer reel consisted of trailers for Frank Perry films: Diary of a Mad Housewife, Play It As It Lays, and Last Summer.

I had never seen Shall We Dance? before but I had always wanted to. I’ve heard a lot of critical praise for it and it won 14 awards at the Japanese Academy Awards when it came out. And it didn’t disappoint. Shall We Dance? was terrific. I loved all of the characters and it’s just a super sweet movie. Just listening to the music of the film in the theater’s surround sound was such a delight. Shall We Dance? was also pretty hilarious. There were maybe 30-40 in attendance, but it seems the New Bev crowd has the talent of making 30 people sounds like hundreds. It was incredible. I loved this movie so much.

There was a brief intermission followed by trailers for Tom Horn, Valdez is Coming, and Raise the Titanic.

I had never heard of or seen Brief Encounter in Shinjuku but my hopes were very high. It stars Lawrence Cheng, Carol Cheng, and Rosamund Kwan. And it’s directed by Gordon Chan of Fist of Legend and Fight Back to School (I would piss myself if these played at the New Bev, just sayin') Overall, I liked the movie. It wasn’t great, it wasn’t bad. It was fine. The movie was very funny, but, as my mom pointed out, the characters are very unlikable. Every single one. I think the main reason why I liked the characters a bit more than my mom is because I love the actors in this movie so much. I don’t see the characters, I see the actors, so I liked them despite the terrible things they do throughout. Also the ending is very abrupt and ambiguous. But still, the movie overall is very, very funny and worth a watch.

I also think I would’ve liked this movie more if I could actually understand it. Both prints were beautiful English-subtitled prints, but unfortunately, Brief Encounter in Shinjuku is one of those one-in-a-hundred Hong Kong movies where the subtitles are horrendous (think Burning Ambition or Nightlife Hero). They were barely comprehensible. I don’t know why certain movies get such a bad treatment when it comes to subtitles. I know Burning Ambition and Nightlife Hero didn’t come from big studios, but Brief Encounter was released by Golden Harvest so I don’t know what happened.

Though Brief Encounter was slightly disappointing, I still had another great time going to the New Beverly. Both films were still very enjoyable and I’m glad I got to see them for the first time there. It seems Hong Kong movies are on the rise again (possibly thanks to Brian Quinn coming back from his hiatus). They’re showing Heroes Shed No Tears/Eastern Condors later this month and I can’t wait!

*Brief Encounter is now the third film I’ve seen on 35mm that has an appearance by the Softhard duo, Eric Kot and Jan Lamb (the other two being City Hunter and A Tale From the East).

Shaolin Patriot

The April 2017 calendar is now available.  Highlights include Escape From New York / Big Trouble In Little China on April 4 and Reservoir Dogs / City On Fire on April 11.  There is also a midnight screening of Fists of the North Star on April 8 (English dub version only).

April-2017-New-Bev-front.jpg

April-2017-New-Bev-back.jpg

Edited by Shaolin Patriot