Kung Fu Screenings at the New Beverly Cinema in LA

KenHashibe

masterofoneinchpunch
There's alot of good stuff IMO:

- the Hitchcock double feature (got these two - Family Plot and Torn Curtain - on a set, still have to see them BTW)

- the Once Upon A Time In The West screenings (I find it a bit overrated and I prefer the "Man with no name" trilogy, but it's still a very solid movie)

- not sure what the other film is worth, but the double feature with The Blues Brothers could be nice too.

I love Blues Brothers. I"ve seen it over 30 times.

I feel those are two of the weaker American films in Hitchcock's oeuvre.

Fans of Black Dragon/Miracles/Mr. Canton and Lady Rose should note that it is a remake of Pocketful of Miracles which is a remake of Lady for a Day (both from Frank Capra and both worthy films.)

Other Films on that list I really like: The Big Heat, What's Up Doc, They Died with Their Boots On (not factually correct, but a fun Errol Flynn movie), Witness for the Prosecution, Anatomy of a Murder (this makes an awesome double header), 3:10 to Yuma.

I would love to see Backfire and Cimmaron in the theater.

KenHashibe
Here's the new list.

Thank you for saying I had a lot of great suggestions in the old list.:smile:

Yes, I also hope The New Bev will bring back HK movies in July.

There are a lot of great suggestions on this list again. The Jackie Chan, Jet Li, and Shaw Brothers movies you mentioned would all be amazing to watch. I'd be especially excited for My Young Auntie. I just saw that one recently and loved it.

Besides those, Knockabout is pretty amazing too. QT owns a print of The Man From Hong Kong and he loves the film. It'll very likely be screened at the New Bev again someday. I've said before that Ninja in the Dragon's Den would be terrific. Last time I went to the theater, I had talked with Brian and some of the regulars about bringing back Tiger on the Beat and other films, so we'll see.

Again, great list and let's hope that Brian considers them. :wink:

Your wish is granted!!! You have to travel to Brooklyn though. How far is it from taking the Subway?

http://www.spectacletheater.com/category/ongoing-series/fist-church/

I wish I could host something every week or two like Fist Church. It'd be great to introduce more people to the genre!

Fans of Black Dragon/Miracles/Mr. Canton and Lady Rose should note that it is a remake of Pocketful of Miracles which is a remake of Lady for a Day (both from Frank Capra and both worthy films.)

I forgot to mention that Jackie Chan was inspired by Pocketful of Miracles to make Miracles which is pretty cool. Pocketful of Miracles did stand out when I first saw the schedule.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
Your wish is granted!!! You have to travel to Brooklyn though. How far is it from taking the Subway?

http://www.spectacletheater.com/category/ongoing-series/fist-church/

Hey thanks! This is a considerable hike for me, but if I can find someone who'd want to tag along I might go one Sunday.

KenHashibe

Aiya! :tinysmile_angry2_t:

?format=1000w

?format=1000w

The July calendar for the New Beverly is on their website now, but still there aren't any Hong Kong movies this month again. They haven't shown any HK movies since May. Kinda disappointing but hopefully we'll see more stuff in the future.

But still, they're screening Jaws and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly which are pluses.

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
The July calendar for the New Beverly is on their website now, but still there aren't any Hong Kong movies this month again. They haven't shown any HK movies since May. Kinda disappointing but hopefully we'll see more stuff in the future.

But still, they're screening Jaws and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly which are pluses.

Plus- ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST and ZOMBIE! :nerd:ONCE is a "don't-miss-opp" to see it in a theater Ken. :smile: It's a phenomenal film, and one that is visually nearly a "how to frame and shoot a masterpiece".

That is a shame that there aren't any Asian action flicks though. :squigglemouth:

Secret Executioner

Guys, seriously... If I could see 2 Sergio Leone films, an early Kubrick film and a Hitchcock classic at the same theater in one single month, I wouldn't complain there's no Asian cinema to be seen. I'll keep the whinning for times when they ACTUALLY show nothing of interest, or for other theaters. :tongue:

KenHashibe
Plus- ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST and ZOMBIE! :nerd:ONCE is a "don't-miss-opp" to see it in a theater Ken. :smile: It's a phenomenal film, and one that is visually nearly a "how to frame and shoot a masterpiece".

That is a shame that there aren't any Asian action flicks though. :squigglemouth:

ONCE gets screened in Los Angeles all the time. I'll have plenty of chances to see it on the big screen. :smile:

Guys, seriously... If I could see 2 Sergio Leone films, an early Kubrick film and a Hitchcock classic at the same theater in one single month, I wouldn't complain there's no Asian cinema to be seen. I'll keep the whinning for times when they ACTUALLY show nothing of interest, or for other theaters. :tongue:

The calendar is great, but most of these movies are screened all the time in LA. It seems that the New Beverly is one of the only theaters in LA that shows HK movies in 35mm. The other screenings aren't as rare (at least in LA).

Also, The Birds? Meh.

Also, also, lucky Portlanders :nerd::

http://hollywoodtheatre.org/invincible-shaolin/

masterofoneinchpunch

There are several films I like in that line up that haven't been mentioned:

The Hound of the Baskervilles (1939): this being the first of 14 Sherlock films for Basil Rathbone with Nigel Bruce. If you like Rathbone and his Sherlock films then this Victorian era film is quite good. I'm not sure how I feel about The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes. I'm a Billy Wilder fan, but thought it was a decent if not great different take on the sleuth.

T.A.M.I. Show: underrated musical concert classic. It should probably show the same footage as the DVD release with the Beach Bows (the way it originally was shown.)

Kiss Me Deadly: Good film, big influence on Tarantino, has a Criterion release now.

Arsenic and Old Lace: classic Frank Capra. The only unfortunate thing is that I've seen it so many times (like the two Leone films on this schedule.)

I would love to see Zombie (and Paths of Glory and Jaws and The Haunting) though on the big screen.

Shaolin Patriot

Looks like I'll have to hang up the kung fu shirt in favor of a horror one for July! I'm up for the ZOMBIE/BEYOND THE DOOR double bill later in the month. :eek:

It's good to be back.

For those of you who don't know, the New Bev had Shaw-tember this month where they screened about 20 different SB movies. I've taken advantage of it to see some awesome movies for the first time on the big screen. And ICYMI, I wrote a few posts for the events on the blog while the forum was down:

http://hapahero.weebly.com/blog/movie-screenings-the-one-armed-swordsman-1967-the-new-one-armed-swordsman-1971

http://hapahero.weebly.com/blog/movie-screenings-five-fingers-of-death-1972-fists-of-the-white-lotus-1980

@Shaolin Patriot, @wackiechan, @fatcat, @iron flag Which screenings did you guys go to? I only went to the two mentioned above.

Also, the new October calendar has just been released featuring a ton of obscure horror movies. No kung fu this month (besides Golden Swallow/Masked Avengers on the 1st). Midnight screenings and kiddee matinees TBA:

12063860_10152935301375904_9104696558771

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 4

Very cool read, and wow you got to see 5 fingers of death there for the first time! LOVE the music for that movie.

So was there ever any plans to ever get a transit system there or is just to sprawled out?( It's been 25 years since I've been to LA) Seems Tokyo has it down can't see why LA can't get something there. The parking sign cracked me up, it's like that in South Beach too, the traffic is getting bad in South Florida but I know no where as near as bad as there.

Shaolin Patriot

@Shaolin Patriot, @wackiechan, @fatcat, @iron flag Which screenings did you guys go to? I only went to the two mentioned above.

Nice to see you again Ken.  I actually looked for you at the screenings.  I just saw a "few" 

36th Chamber of Shaolin / 8 Diagram Pole Fighter

One Armed Swordsman / New One Armed Swordsman

Bamboo House of Dolls / Human Lanterns

King Boxer / Fists of the White Lotus

Avenging Eagle / Five Venoms

I intend to go back this Thursday for Golden Swallow / Masked Avengers.  New Bev says a new print for Golden Swallow.  Hope to see you then!

Edited by Shaolin Patriot

Oh man it's good to see you back Ken. I missed yah buddy!!!

I missed you guys too. It's great to be back. It was a sad time when the forum closed.

Will definitely read your reviews Ken. 

Thanks! I usually review some pretty obscure stuff on the blog, but most of those movies are worth watching.

Very cool read, and wow you got to see 5 fingers of death there for the first time! LOVE the music for that movie.

So was there ever any plans to ever get a transit system there or is just to sprawled out?( It's been 25 years since I've been to LA) Seems Tokyo has it down can't see why LA can't get something there. The parking sign cracked me up, it's like that in South Beach too, the traffic is getting bad in South Florida but I know no where as near as bad as there.

Five Fingers of Death was awesome. I'm glad you liked the post.

I've considered taking public transportation to the New Bev, but there's no direct way to get there from where I live (I'd have to take two buses to get there) and by the time the movies end, it's about midnight and I don't think the buses would be in service by then. And even if they were, taking a bus at midnight in Los Angeles is not always the safest place to be.

Nice to see you again Ken.  I actually looked for you at the screenings.  I just saw a "few" 

36th Chamber of Shaolin / 8 Diagram Pole Fighter

One Armed Swordsman / New One Armed Swordsman

Bamboo House of Dolls / Human Lanterns

King Boxer / Fists of the White Lotus

Avenging Eagle / Five Venoms

I intend to go back this Thursday for Golden Swallow / Masked Avengers.  New Bev says a new print for Golden Swallow.  Hope to see you then!

Nice to talk to you again. Also, that's what you call a few?! I wish I could go to more of those screenings. You must've gone to the OAS/Lo Lieh double features on Thursday. I went to both on Wednesdays. I got to see wackiechan at the OAS screening though. Unfortunately, the two double features I mentioned earlier are the only two I'll be able to go to this month. Have fun at the Golden Swallow/Masked Avengers screening tomorrow. That double feature sounds amazing. Hope to see you in November.

• Like 1

Tosh, Tosh, Tosh!!! can you say earthquake fault zone!!???:tongueout When I was back in LA in the late 90's I was working construction and we were building what was the start of the puny transportation system there is in LA :laugh. As I was working in the holes were were tunneling under the streets of LA I was thinking "is this really a good Idea?".

In LA we drive its what we do. There was never a real transportation system in Southern California like there is in San Fran area. Its so funny when I see people incredulous that it could be a day trip to drive 15 miles that is not an exaggeration!! (okay maybe its only a 6 hour drive!).

Before I moved out east it was not unusual for to have to have a 3 hour commute 1 way to and from work and that could have been something as close as 20-30 miles away. I do NOT miss that! When I left in 98' there weren't even all of the new highways that there are now but it is so densely populated that you don't have a lot of room to build.

It's a shame when I go, I go to eat at my favorite restaurants and get out!! When I lived in Long Beach I was only 20 miles from LA and I did everything I could to not have to go there. I will however plan my next trip around what they are showing at the New Bev as here in South Jersey/Philly area we don't have many options.

• Like 1

Shaolin Patriot

Nice to talk to you again. Also, that's what you call a few?! I wish I could go to more of those screenings. You must've gone to the OAS/Lo Lieh double features on Thursday. I went to both on Wednesdays. I got to see wackiechan at the OAS screening though. Unfortunately, the two double features I mentioned earlier are the only two I'll be able to go to this month. Have fun at the Golden Swallow/Masked Avengers screening tomorrow. That double feature sounds amazing. Hope to see you in November.

Glad you noticed my intended pun - 10 films is an eye-full.  Yes, we went on different nights for those screenings.  Met up with wachiechan for King Boxer & Fists of White Lotus.

Don't think New Bev will be showing any more SB for the remainder of the year.  I think their licenses expire soon for the film prints.  But maybe they can sign a few new deals with other distributors.  Fingers crossed!

Tosh, Tosh, Tosh!!! can you say earthquake fault zone!!???:tongueout When I was back in LA in the late 90's I was working construction and we were building what was the start of the puny transportation system there is in LA :laugh. As I was working in the holes were were tunneling under the streets of LA I was thinking "is this really a good Idea?".

In LA we drive its what we do. There was never a real transportation system in Southern California like there is in San Fran area. Its so funny when I see people incredulous that it could be a day trip to drive 15 miles that is not an exaggeration!! (okay maybe its only a 6 hour drive!).

Before I moved out east it was not unusual for to have to have a 3 hour commute 1 way to and from work and that could have been something as close as 20-30 miles away. I do NOT miss that! When I left in 98' there weren't even all of the new highways that there are now but it is so densely populated that you don't have a lot of room to build.

It's a shame when I go, I go to eat at my favorite restaurants and get out!! When I lived in Long Beach I was only 20 miles from LA and I did everything I could to not have to go there. I will however plan my next trip around what they are showing at the New Bev as here in South Jersey/Philly area we don't have many options.

I can verify that that's about 99% accurate. Hopefully, the New Bev will show something in November and we hope to see you there.

Glad you noticed my intended pun - 10 films is an eye-full.  Yes, we went on different nights for those screenings.  Met up with wachiechan for King Boxer & Fists of White Lotus.

Don't think New Bev will be showing any more SB for the remainder of the year.  I think their licenses expire soon for the film prints.  But maybe they can sign a few new deals with other distributors.  Fingers crossed!

How was Golden Swallow/Masked Avengers last night? I hope that the New Bev can show some more SB films soon. There are so many more films that they could've shown for Shawtember (Bastard Swordsman, Magic Blade, Invincible Shaolin, Buddha's Palm, and many others). Since Shawtember was a success, they'll probably show more kung fu/Hong Kong movies soon. Again, fingers crossed!

Shaolin Patriot

How was Golden Swallow/Masked Avengers last night? I hope that the New Bev can show some more SB films soon. There are so many more films that they could've shown for Shawtember (Bastard Swordsman, Magic Blade, Invincible Shaolin, Buddha's Palm, and many others). Since Shawtember was a success, they'll probably show more kung fu/Hong Kong movies soon. Again, fingers crossed!

Golden Swallow was a pristine print, licensed directly from Celestial.  English subtitles.  Masked Avengers was English dubbed.  Unfortunately, poor attendance for both films.  Brian at New Bev rated Boxer's Omen the most popular in the series. 

Golden Swallow was a pristine print, licensed directly from Celestial.  English subtitles.  Masked Avengers was English dubbed.  Unfortunately, poor attendance for both films.  Brian at New Bev rated Boxer's Omen the most popular in the series. 

I didn't have any interest of going to see Boxer's Omen, but I thought it was surprising how it sold a lot of tickets. I was definitely expecting 36th Chamber to be the most popular.

New November calendar! Unfortunately, no Hong Kong movies, but they do have Mad Max Fury Road, Friday the 13th, Singin' in the Rain, and some other classics. I'm thinking of going to their Western triple feature on the 24th. We'll see.

I really wish that there were some more Hong Kong/kung fu movies. There's still December.

http://www.thenewbev.com/calendar/

?format=1000w

?format=1000w

Friday the 13th 8 film marathon, damn!!! It's hard for me to sit through one movie yet alone, 8!!!!!!

Tickets went on sale at noon today and it's already sold out. I'm sure that most of the people going are only going to stay for the films that they most want to see. Of course, there are some hardcore fans that are going to watch ALL of them!

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 1