Kung Fu Screenings at the New Beverly Cinema in LA

KenHashibe

Wow, that April schedule is pretty weak., it is what it is. There are some good stuff in there but not enough to go drive to a theater to see.

I kind of agree. It's definitely weak for HK films (especially since there were so many of them in March). I do think the Big Bullet/Downtown Torpedoes is a great double feature, but it's screening on one of the only days of the month that I can't make it. Oh well, we can at least hope for better next month.

Yes, Definitely going to Blade! Next month totally sucks.. I'll probably go to Army of Darkness & Darkman. Two of my favorites. Other than that..man. Maybe The Professional. Really gone downhill the last few months :(

The films you mentioned are cool, but Fargo, Boogie Nights, Audition, and Sonatine also caught my eye. I was hoping for much more HK movies, but I can't really complain. There are certainly a lot of people on social media who are very happy about this schedule.

Hope to see you on the 31st!

Shaolin Patriot

I'm definitely going to skip it for April. I hope they return to at least one SB double-feature in May. See you on the 31st.

Another month means another trip to the New Beverly. As we walked up to the theater, it was hard to miss the Thai poster for King of Beggars that was put up outside. It was also weird that the sun was actually out when I took the picture of the marquee (because of daylight-savings). We took our seats and Brian Quinn started introducing the films. He made sure to point out that he might bring in more Stephen Chow movies since they have 3 or 4 prints of his other films. Next was an unfittingly upbeat Looney Tunes cartoon called Rushing Roulette. It always seems that the least child friendly films are shown with a cartoon. The trailer reel included Run Lola Run, Trainspotting, and Sonatine (all American trailers).

It was the first time that I had saw The Blade, and though I don’t think of it as the masterpiece that people think of it as, I still thought it was really, really good. The philosophical messages and artsy cinematography sometimes make the film hard to read. But the atmosphere and action are both very impressive. The characters and story are also great (if not overly simplistic). I usually hate it when action scenes are shot really close up and the camera starts shaking a lot, but I somehow thought it made these scenes better. Trying to see what’s going on during some of the most intense scenes somehow made me more alert. This movie actually reminded that I don’t really care about art films, but The Blade is still very engrossing and exciting.

During the intermission, I got to talk to Shaolin Patriot and wackiechan briefly and also got to meet some new people. I think I forgot to mention this before, but whenever a movie isn’t playing, they play soundtracks from HK movies in the background. Usually they play soundtracks from Tai Chi Master, Drunken Master 2, Once Upon a Time in China, and Hard Boiled. It really gets you in the mood for a HK movie. You know what doesn’t get you in the mood for a HK movie? A trailer for Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion. It’s okay because it was followed up by Desperado and an exceptionally loud trailer for Boogie Nights (After the trailer ended, an audience member said “Louder!”).

Next was another Cantonese print for King of Beggars, presented in a beautiful 35mm print. The color was bright and everything looked sharp. It was almost looked digital (I’m not saying it was, I’m saying it looked REALLY nice). The movie appeared to be well received by the audience too. There were a lot of laughs, especially during the Martial Arts competition towards the beginning. Also, Stephen Chow’s laugh is pretty contagious. I always thought that King of Beggars is far from Stephen Chow’s funniest, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t funny. There were a lot of laughs, but we also got a good story, some great characters, and some wacky wire-fu. Overall, the film was extremely fun to watch on the big screen with an audience and I’m hoping for more Stephen Chow movies soon.

After the films, I talked to Brian Quinn about Unlucky Stars (review coming soon BTW) and about a bunch of HK movies that they have screened. Later on, I went to In N’ Out and met one of the regulars from the theater. It was a very fun night and I’m hoping for some more HK films in the future.

Sorry for such a late response. I have no excuse, but I've just been super tired (and lazy :tongue:) recently. For fans in Portland, there’ll be a screening of A Fist Full of Talons at the Hollywood Theater soon. Don’t miss your chance to see (what I’m assuming is) this film in widescreen!

http://hollywoodtheatre.org/a-fistful-of-talons/

Here's the May 2015 calendar:

?format=1000w

?format=1000w

This month, there's a kung fu double feature on May 5th: Chinese Hercules (an IB tech print) and The Black Dragon. I'm thinking of going to this screening, but I haven't seen either movie before. Both movies certainly look very "Grindhouse-y" and very funny. Certainly looks like something I'd see at the New Beverly.

Any thoughts on those movies? The calendar? Besides the double feature on May 5th, I think Message From Space, The Great Escape, and Kill Bill are really cool.

Also, on June 18th, a digital restoration of Dragon Inn is being shown at the Linwood Dunn Theater in Mandarin with English subs:

http://www.oscars.org/events/big-gundown-dragon-inn

ThunderScore

THE BLACK DRAGON IS SOMETHING I would've liked to have seen on the big screen:

94336e5c40977d6c2b9ae86fadb67b06fb7575be.jpg

MESSAGE FROM SPACE is pretty incredible as well...

THE BLACK DRAGON IS SOMETHING I would've liked to have seen on the big screen:

MESSAGE FROM SPACE is pretty incredible as well...

Great! Thanks for the comment. I'm looking foward to this screening. Both look like very cheesy films, so I hope it'll be fun to watch with an audience. I'm also looking forward to the trailers. Those are always a lot of fun.

masterofoneinchpunch
... Any thoughts on those movies? The calendar? Besides the double feature on May 5th, I think Message From Space, The Great Escape, and Kill Bill are really cool.

Also, on June 18th, a digital restoration of Dragon Inn is being shown at the Linwood Dunn Theater in Mandarin with English subs:

I would love to see so many films on this calendar. Obviously Chinese Hercules and Message From Space would be great. Even though I've seen The Great Escape so many times that would be a fun watch in the theater.

I'm a W.C. Fields fan so both of the films shown I think are worthy watches. Fields is nowhere known as he was just a few decades back (though fascinating how many decades he remained known with American audiences.)

I have not seen The Sand Pebbles and since some of that was shot in Hong Kong and Taiwan) I've wanted to watch it for years (funny the influence it had on HK film too including aspects for stunts.)

Shaolin Patriot

I've seen both Chinese Hercules (with Bolo) and The Black Dragon back in the days of VHS. I didn't care much for them at the time (although I would rate Black Dragon higher than Chinese Hercules) and have no interest in seeing them on the big screen. I highly recommend Sand Pebbles, whether or not you're a Steve McQueen fan. A great film all around. I last saw it at the Aero Theater in Santa Monica last year. Otherwise, I hope to see the LA crew again in June.

Shaolin Patriot
I have not seen The Sand Pebbles and since some of that was shot in Hong Kong and Taiwan) I've wanted to watch it for years (funny the influence it had on HK film too including aspects for stunts.)

Not to be missed! Paul Chun (David Chiang's brother) actually stars in the film! :smile:

After starting out with some good movies under the new ownership the New Beverly is back to sucking big time. They claimed to be showing stuff from QTs personal collection. Looks like his colection might not be that great!

KenHashibe

Dammit. :cry:

CFu3TNkVEAATjYH.jpg:large

The calendar doesn't look the clearest, but I could still see most of the movies on there. It's kind of disappointing that there aren't Hong Kong movies this month. I do like some of the movies that they've selected, but still, I might skip this month.

Midnight screenings and kiddee mantinees coming soon.

Shaolin Patriot
The calendar doesn't look the clearest, but I could still see most of the movies on there. It's kind of disappointing that there aren't Hong Kong movies this month. I do like some of the movies that they've selected, but still, I might skip this month.

That's OK -- Dragon Gate Inn will be my perk for the month of June

Secret Executioner
Dammit. :cry:

CFu3TNkVEAATjYH.jpg:large

Midnight screenings and kiddee mantinees coming soon.

There's alot of good stuff IMO:

- the Hitchcock double feature (got these two - Family Plot and Torn Curtain - on a set, still have to see them BTW)

- the Once Upon A Time In The West screenings (I find it a bit overrated and I prefer the "Man with no name" trilogy, but it's still a very solid movie)

- not sure what the other film is worth, but the double feature with The Blues Brothers could be nice too.

Sure there's no HK stuff, but I find this program much better than what they offered these previous months. Just my $0.02 though, I live a continent and an ocean away from California. :tongue:

KenHashibe

Here're the full June calendar including midnight screenings and kiddee matinees:

?format=1000w

?format=1000w

This screening is a definite maybe. I'm usually busy on Thursdays so we'll see. :wink:

There's alot of good stuff IMO:

Sure there's no HK stuff, but I find this program much better than what they offered these previous months. Just my $0.02 though, I live a continent and an ocean away from California. :tongue:

Agreed, but I mainly only go to the HK movies because it's kind of a special thing. It isn't terribly uncommon for these classics to be screened here in LA, but HK movies are kind of an exclusive at the New Bev, so I try to take advantage of it when I can. :smile:

But still, The Blues Brothers would be amazing with an audience! BTW It's being paired with Cheech and Chong's Next Movie.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I wish there was a theatre that ran films like this in Manhattan every month.

All the revival houses here do not show much genre stuff unless it's a specific event. I missed the Old School Kung Fu fest (Ninjas this year) by a few weeks. Ah well.

This thread has been great to read and I'll continue checking in to live vicariously.

wackiechan

Hey, Ken and Shaolin P. I finally sent a Facebook message, to Brian, with my request list for The New Bev's HK movie double features.

The list was not exactly the same one, compared to what I showed you both that time at The New Bev. I made some changes to that list, and only included HK movies and added on some other HK movies.

Did any of you both, or anybody else here on the forum, want me to show that new list? It's a bit long though, because it has 33 titles. This forum has a file attachment feature, if you didn't know.

KenHashibe
This thread has been great to read and I'll continue checking in to live vicariously.

I'm glad you enjoy reading the thread. It's a lot of fun going to these screenings and it's nice to share the experiences with others. :wink:

The list was not exactly the same one, compared to what I showed you both that time at The New Bev. I made some changes to that list, and only included HK movies and added on some other HK movies.

Did any of you both, or anybody else here on the forum, want me to show that new list? It's a bit long though, because it has 33 titles. This forum has a file attachment feature, if you didn't know.

I'd really like to check out your new list. :smile: You had a lot of great suggestions when I first saw it. Hopefully, they'll bring back Hong Kong movies in July.

wackiechan
I'd really like to check out your new list. :smile: You had a lot of great suggestions when I first saw it. Hopefully, they'll bring back Hong Kong movies in July.

Here's the new list.

Thank you for saying I had a lot of great suggestions in the old list.:smile:

Yes, I also hope The New Bev will bring back HK movies in July.

Warren's Request List For New Bev Cinema's HK Movie Dble Features 5-31-15.doc

Thanks for posting! This is an awesome double feature. Big Gundown is one of my favorite Spaghetti Westerns also. I don't know whats going on with New Beverly's programming.

The Big Heat is a very good film noir. I might go to see Breathless. Another bad month though :(

OpiumKungFuCracker
I wish there was a theatre that ran films like this in Manhattan every month.

All the revival houses here do not show much genre stuff unless it's a specific event. I missed the Old School Kung Fu fest (Ninjas this year) by a few weeks. Ah well.

Your wish is granted!!! You have to travel to Brooklyn though. How far is it from taking the Subway?

http://www.spectacletheater.com/category/ongoing-series/fist-church/

Secret Executioner
Here's the new list.

Thank you for saying I had a lot of great suggestions in the old list.:smile:

Yes, I also hope The New Bev will bring back HK movies in July.

Some really nice stuff on your list. :nerd:

Shaolin Patriot
Thanks for posting! This is an awesome double feature. Big Gundown is one of my favorite Spaghetti Westerns also. I don't know whats going on with New Beverly's programming.

The Big Heat is a very good film noir. I might go to see Breathless. Another bad month though :(

Thanks; this will have to be my fill for June. Fingers crossed for a good schedule in July at the New Bev.