Kung Fu Screenings at the New Beverly Cinema in LA

KenHashibe

It's on this box set under the title Deep West. Seems its gotten a little pricey, I think I picked it up for around $20. There are some other good SWs on it though. Mostly pretty decent picture quality. Some not so good.

BEST OF SPAGHETTI WESTERNS BEST OF SPAGHETTI WESTERNS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GOBRSYA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_c7OEub1CQ03NJ

That youtube video looks great. Widescreen, english dub. After Kung Fu, Spaghetti westerns are what I watch most. Halleluja has quite a bit of comedy but Lots of action and George Hilton is very good as Halleljah

• Administrator
Love to see The Deep on the big screen, Jacqueline Bisset was smoking hot in her bikini back in the day, plus that iconic moment of a Morey eel biting that guys head off:xd: really freaked me out when I was a kid.

I saw THE DEEP when it was released, and even at eight and a half I was mesmerized by Miss Bisset in that wet t-shirt. :smile: She is stunningly beautiful, with unforgettable green eyes. The eel scenes were my favorites Tosh! So scary. Plus there's a pretty hairy fight in the film too.

I always thought it looked brutal when Jacqueline Bisset's arm gets pulled into the hole by that moray eel. Turns out it was!

Trivia from IMDB: In the beginning of the movie while Gail is diving, she reaches under a part of the shipwreck and gets her arm yanked by the giant green moray, which causes her to scream in pain. In real life, her stunt-double, Jackie Kilbride, dislocated her shoulder doing this scene. A diver was told to pull the stick attached to her wrist from inside the wreck. When the stick appeared he pulled with all his might (as instructed). The scene was done in one take with multiple cameras as there was no chance (or need) for repeating it.

Since I can't go this month, I got to see Poseidon Adventure yesterday on DVD and I really enjoyed it. I wish I could go on the 30th-31st. I'd also like to go to A Fist Full of Dollars and the Rio Grande triple feature. I haven't seen The Deep, but your discussions about it are very interesting to say the least.

I wish the January calendar would be released sooner and see what movies we'll get to see. Hopefully more HK movies. Not necessarily kung fu, but HK movies in general are a lot of fun. Hoping for Shaw Bros movies and comedies, in particular I'd love to see some Stephen Chow movies. I will go to see any Stephen Chow comedy if given the chance to.

If anyone has an Instagram, make sure to pay attention to the New Beverly's account. They're currently posting posters for movies that they're planning on showing (presumably) next month. No HK movies so far but they've only posted 3 posters. Full schedule coming soon, I hope!!! :nerd: @newbeverly

Also I found out that QT owns prints of both Fist of Fury 1991 and King of Beggars. Perfect for a Stephen Chow double feature! Hopefully some day. :wink:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

?format=1000w

?format=1000w

Well, I'll be seeing you guys on the 13th for Five Element Ninjas and Kid With the Golden Arm. Also there's Super Manchu and Duel of the Iron Fist on the 20th.

What a way to kick off 2015! These screenings are bound to have great turnouts and I hope to see you guys at the New Beverly on the 13th! :wink:

masterofoneinchpunch

I would love to see Ride Lonesome in the theater (I might be the only one excited to see Million Dollar Legs one of the few W.C. Fields films I have not seen.)

Shaolin Patriot

Well, I'll be seeing you guys on the 13th for Five Element Ninjas and Kid With the Golden Arm. Also there's Super Manchu and Duel of the Iron Fist on the 20th.

Seems whatever "deal" for more SB films is certainly working out for 2015. Looking forward to Five Element Ninjas & Kid With Golden Arm on Jan. 13. Hope to see Ken and wacky chan for another excellent double bill!! :smile:

• Administrator

What a line-up! And I mean all the films in general, though the Chang Cheh double-feature would be the definite "must see" if I wasn't on the opposite side of the country from me. Wow!

Please report back, can't wait to hear how it all goes.

I'm super excited too. I'll definitely report back on this one.

Seems whatever "deal" for more SB films is certainly working out for 2015. Looking forward to Five Element Ninjas & Kid With Golden Arm on Jan. 13. Hope to see Ken and wacky chan for another excellent double bill!! :smile:

I'm looking forward to seeing you guys again for another double feature. I hope to meet iron flag and fatcat there this time too.

What a line-up! And I mean all the films in general, though the Chang Cheh double-feature would be the definite "must see" if I wasn't on the opposite side of the country from me. Wow!

Yes, the Chang Cheh double feature is a definite must, but at least you still have the Subway for your classic movie needs. Who knows? These movies might screen at the Subway too. A lot of the prints that the New Beverly has shown has been shown at the Subway (and the Hollywood Theatre) too.

Just curious: Is anyone planning on seeing Super Manchu/Duel of the Iron Fists on the 20th? If I could, I would definitely go, but I feel that not too many people will go to this one because it can't compare to the Chang Cheh double feature. Any thoughts? Anyone planning on seeing this one?

• Administrator
I'm super excited too. I'll definitely report back on this one.

We'll be reading! :nerd:

Yes, the Chang Cheh double feature is a definite must, but at least you still have the Subway for your classic movie needs. Who knows? These movies might screen at the Subway too. A lot of the prints that the New Beverly has shown has been shown at the Subway (and the Hollywood Theatre) too.

If they showed these two, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Just curious: Is anyone planning on seeing Super Manchu/Duel of the Iron Fists on the 20th? If I could, I would definitely go, but I feel that not too many people will go to this one because it can't compare to the Chang Cheh double feature. Any thoughts? Anyone planning on seeing this one?

I'M not familiar with SUPER MANCHU (anyone know an alternate title for this), but DUEL OF THE IRON FISTS is an "Iron Triangle" classic! Chang Cheh directs David Chiang and Ti Lung in a seriously cool film. Ken, this is another "Must See"! Don't let this opportunity pas to see this in 35mm if you can. You won't regret it.

I'M not familiar with SUPER MANCHU (anyone know an alternate title for this), but DUEL OF THE IRON FISTS is an "Iron Triangle" classic! Chang Cheh directs David Chiang and Ti Lung in a seriously cool film. Ken, this is another "Must See"! Don't let this opportunity pas to see this in 35mm if you can. You won't regret it.

Super Manchu: Master of Kung Fu is actually a Golden Harvest film from 1973 called Stormy Sun. I haven't heard of it and it doesn't really interest me. Duel of the Iron Fists on the other hand certainly does have my interest. I've heard from Shaolin Patriot that the print they have is actually full-screen, cut, dubbed. Even then, I would still totally want to go to this for the chance to see this in 35mm with an audience, but unfortunately I probably won't be able to make it (the traffic doesn't help much either). I'm sure this movie will get screened again soon (I hope), but until then, I'll be heading over to the Chang Cheh double feature on the 13th. :nerd:

• Administrator
Super Manchu: Master of Kung Fu is actually a Golden Harvest film from 1973 called Stormy Sun. I haven't heard of it and it doesn't really interest me. Duel of the Iron Fists on the other hand certainly does have my interest. I've heard from Shaolin Patriot that the print they have is actually full-screen, cut, dubbed. Even then, I would still totally want to go to this for the chance to see this in 35mm with an audience, but unfortunately I probably won't be able to make it (the traffic doesn't help much either). I'm sure this movie will get screened again soon (I hope), but until then, I'll be heading over to the Chang Cheh double feature on the 13th. :nerd:

Thanks for the info. :bigsmile:

WTF? The 35mm print is cropped??? :ooh:

Oh man, I hope somehow you do make it the screening.

One of these days, I have to read this:

e3b36740443f734d2020ecf5aead79acb27997d3.jpg

Holy smokes! :nerd: I'm sure this is something few people have. Far out

Shaolin Patriot

I'm going to pass on these, although the Duel is one of my favorites!

Shaolin Patriot

I've only seen the trailer for Super Manchu (also at the New Bev), but it doesn't interest me. When I saw The Duel there a few years ago, it was a digital source, described above. It was certainly the US cut, with the "of the Iron Fist" title card superimposed over the picture. If the same print, definitely avoid.

One week left until the Chang Cheh double feature! In an attempt to get people excited, I've included a link to VintageNinja's Five Days of Five Element Ninjas. I've linked to only the first day, but you can easily find where it says "Next Post" to get to the subsequent days.

The articles talk about how dated the movie is while also talking about how awesome it is:

http://vintageninja.net/?p=1477

Day 5 is especially interesting because it talks about the movie's influence and includes a video quality comparison with other DVD releases. Enjoy!

I was late to see "Five Element Ninjas" tonight at the New Beverly. I saw the last 20 minutes of the movie. Right before i went inside the auditorium, I asked Michael Torgan of the New Bev if both of the Shaw movies in the double feature will be the Chinese language w/ English subtitled versions. He said that "FEN" is the Chinese language version, but here's where I was letdown: he said "The Kid With TGA" will be English dubbed.

I already saw "FEN" when the New Bev had a screening about 2 years ago. I had some interest in seeing it again, just because it was part of the double feature w/ "The Kid with the Golden Arm". It's too bad "TKwtGA" was dubbed. I sent a Facebook msge to the Grindhouse Festival to ask if the Shaw dbl ftr will be dubbed or not. I got no reply. If I had known the movie will be dubbed, especially because the New Bev site didn't have the info, then maybe I would've tried to see "Shaolin Soccer" at UCLA the same night instead.

"FEN" had INCREDIBLE fight scenes and some fast action, just like when I saw it that other time of course. The print was somewhat faded.

The trailers for "Duel of the Iron fist(AKA 'The Duel'[?])" and "Super ManChu" were shown before "The Kid With TGA". The print for "TKwtGA" looked better than "FEN".

I saw Ken H and Shaolin Patriot there again. It was fun to talk to them again. They both said that the "Pedicab Driver" trailer was shown before "FEN". When I went to Sammo Hung Night at the Hlwd Egyptian Theatre in 2002, "Pedicab D" was shown, and I got Sammo to sign something for me there.

Anyway, Brian Quinn said that there's a chance of more Shaws and other HK movies being shown next month and after, at the New Bev. This could include some special guests. Brian said Bolo Yeung("Enter The Dragon") and Benny "the Jet" Urquidez both live in So Cal, so he'll try to get them to appear. Some Jet Li movies could be shown too(hopefully the uncut HK release of "Black Mask"). This all sounds like exciting news.

Thank you again, Brian, for showing HK movies in the L.A. area. I'll try to Facebook msge you w/ HK movie suggestions for the next few screenings. Also thank you, Ken and Shaolin P, for talking to me there. Sorry if I was talking a bit too much. I hope you both like the "Samurai Cop 2" postcard ads I gave. Take care.