Kung Fu Screenings at the New Beverly Cinema in LA

KenHashibe

Just a reminder about the Avenging Eagle/A Fist Full of Talons double feature tomorrow. Make sure to get your 36 Styles shirts ready. :wink: I hope everyone has a great time!

Just a reminder about the Avenging Eagle/A Fist Full of Talons double feature tomorrow. Make sure to get your 36 Styles shirts ready. :wink: I hope everyone has a great time!

Lol, Im going to have to put 36 Styles on the Christmas list, Ill rock my Bruce Lee tee though:wink:

Shaolin Patriot

I'll be looking out for a 36 Styles shirt in the audience. Arrive early enough to get a good seat!

Shaolin Patriot
Lol, Im going to have to put 36 Styles on the Christmas list, Ill rock my Bruce Lee tee though:wink:

I'll be looking out for a Bruce shirt in the audience too!

[Possible spoiler alert: can I bring my three sectional staff with me?] :tongue:

NEW INFO:

According to the Grindhouse Film Festival's Facebook page, "THE AVENGING EAGLE will be an original Chinese-language print with English subtitles. A FIST FULL OF TALONS will be the English-dubbed American release version." That's awesome about The Avenging Eagle! I expected Fist Full to be an English dub so I'm not disappointed. Also, I've seen clips from the English dub and it's actually pretty good. I'm still looking forward to it!

I'll be looking out for a 36 Styles shirt in the audience. Arrive early enough to get a good seat!

To give you an even bigger hint on who you should be looking for, I'm probably going to be the youngest person there. If you've seen me there before, I'm that young guy with the blue One Foot Crane shirt. :smile:

[Possible spoiler alert: can I bring my three sectional staff with me?] :tongue:

You could probably bring it, but I don't think you can use it (at least not on other people) but it would definitely help me identify you. We'll also identify each other with this hand signal :tongue::

five-shaolin-masters-david-chiang3_c5e5233fe50ccafb8da25e148cf2a227.jpg

Have fun guys, let me know how it goes!!!

Of course! I'm very excited for tomorrow. Prepare for a long post from me on Wednesday! :wink:

Have fun guys, let me know how it goes!!!

It went very well. I met ShaolinPatriot and Ken Hashibe there! It was great to meet the both of you, and interesting to talk to you both.

"The Avenging Eagle" was a very good Shaw Bros kung fu movie, starring Ti Lung(who did a good job using his kung fu weapon) and Alexander Fu Sheng. Such incredible fight scenes.

I stayed to watch about the first 10 minutes of "A Fist Full of Talons". I had leave to go home. The movie also had some good fight scenes, and although an IB Technicolor print, the print was a bit scratchy.

I noticed that for some reason, none of the trailers shown before "The Avenging Eagle" and before "AFFoT" were for HK movies. It's too bad that some trailers for Shaw movies (e.g. "Five Element Ninjas", "The Water Margin", "Shaolin Temple", etc.), or non-Shaws(e.g. "Once Upon ATIC 2", "Operation Scorpio", "Tiger on the Beat") weren't shown at least.

Anyway, I still had a good time at the New Beverly. Thank you, Shaolin P and Ken, for talking to me. It was a great night.

Yes it was a great time! It was a good turn out, and the crowd was enthusiastic:bigsmile:

I enjoyed actually getting my moneys worth at the movies:tongue:

Shaolin Patriot
It went very well. I met ShaolinPatriot and Ken Hashibe there! It was great to meet the both of you, and interesting to talk to you both.

Thanks wackiechan; great to meet you and Ken too. Hope to see you both at future screenings!

Shaolin Patriot
Yes it was a great time! It was a good turn out, and the crowd was enthusiastic:bigsmile:

I enjoyed actually getting my moneys worth at the movies:tongue:

Sorry that we didn't meet, fatcat. Hopefully we can do so at another screening! :bigsmile:

After driving for an hour through typical LA traffic, we made it to a Korean dessert place called Spoon By H where I ate the most perfect pancake ever. After that, we headed across the street to the New Beverly Cinema.

After buying tickets and taking our seats, I ended up meeting Shaolin Patriot followed by wackiechan. It was really cool meeting you guys. You were both very friendly and it was nice talking to you two. I was probably easy to find wearing my blue One Foot Crane shirt. I don’t think I was able to find fatcat. I hope to meet you next time.

Next, the two movies got introduced and trailers started playing. Surprisingly they weren’t trailers for HK movies, as wackiechan said. If you’re interested, they showed a cartoon short called “Roller Coaster Rabbit” starring Roger Rabbit followed by trailers for Fortune and Men’s Eyes, The Spy With My Face, and The Venetian Affair.

The Avenging Eagle then started and it was excellent! The print was in Cantonese with English subtitles. Instead of a restored print from Celestial, it was an original print with [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EHkeMzks7s/]extended scenes including this one. I noticed that the picture quality was actually really good. This was probably the definitive way to watch this movie. Watching it on the big screen was very exciting and it was great reacting with the audience. The Avenging Eagle is definitely one of my favorite Shaw Brothers movies with a terrific story, outstanding characters, and great fight scenes. The ending is sad, but also satisfying. When the movie ended, there was a huge applause! Probably one of the best HK movies I’ve seen in a theater.

There was a short intermission followed by more trailers. I was thinking that they were going to show trailers for Kung Fu Executioner and/or Jade Claw (Crystal Fist) to get the audience in the mood to watch another kung fu movie. Nope, we have more random trailers for White Lightning, Richard Pryor: Live in Concert, and...Zardoz. Very...interesting.

A Fist Full of Talons starts and one of the first things that you’ll notice is how nice the video quality looks. The next thing you’ll notice is that the print was in 2:35:1 widescreen and I was savoring it. It was a little scratchy but it’s probably the best quality you’ll ever see this movie in. The colors probably looked as good as they did when the movie first came out. The movie itself was surprisingly fantastic. Totally not as good as The Avenging Eagle, but I thought A Fist Full was a lot of fun and very exciting. It was a very unique kung fu movie for the time with some pretty impressive action and creative bits of wirework. Billy Chong was also great as the lead. There were a few unintentional laughs including the scene where Little Bandit tells Uncle Ding how to use the medicine (without spoiling anything). There was a mixed reaction of “aww’s” and laughs (but mostly laughs).

Now for the ending. First I’d like to say that the final fight is awesome and very exciting. The audience was in awe when the eagle started attacking Whang In-Shik, in particular, the scene when he was carried through the air. Then...the eagle gets ripped in half. It was strange, but on the big screen, I could see very small bits of flesh flying around. They were too small to have been seen on a TV and seeing it on the big screen was insane. I was expecting the audience to go crazier than they did, but most of the audience members just went “Ahhh!” until the end credits started playing.

You: What? There were end credits?!

Yes, there were! It was strange because I couldn’t find a version that had credits (except for the Chinese version). Actually, the audience seemed more surprised when the end credits started because they didn’t know the movie would end right there. No matter, they were still excited and applauded. I had a big smile on my face and I loved it. Please, someone remaster this movie and re-release in widescreen in Chinese with English subtitles. I will be very grateful!

I had another great time going to the New Beverly. I’m not going next week, but I hope you guys enjoy the Billy Chong double feature on the 25th. I’m looking forward to next month where hopefully they’ll be screening more HK movies. I’m sure everyone had a great time and I hope you enjoyed reading this.

Thanks, it was nice to meet you!

Great to meet you and Ken too. Hope to see you both at future screenings!

It was nice meeting you too. I hope there'll be more HK movie screenings to attend next month!

No sweat, there was a lot of people there. :wink: I'm still bummed I missed FoF!!:squigglemouth:

Honestly, I think I enjoyed this double feature more than the FoF double feature. Though, we didn't get any HK movie trailers, we got to see two awesome movies in nice-looking 35mm prints. If I could, I would go to this again (just get some different trailers. Zardoz does not get me in the mood for a kung fu movie :tongue:).

I have a few pictures that I'll be posting soon. Thanks again for reading! :wink:

I have fewer pictures than last time, but I thought I'd still share.

The quintessential picture of the sign outside:

20k3pcg.jpg

2e2ndxs.jpg

28jl63q.jpg

2z6uw75.jpg

67urux.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy the screening this Tuesday!

One of these days, Ken, one of these days!!!!! I need to make it out to a New Bev screening!!!

If you ever do come out to LA, please let us know. It'd be nice to meet you. You'd really enjoy going to one of these screenings. Everything that you may like about a movie is amplified and more exciting when watching it on the big screen. I hope you can visit us sometime soon!

Awesome posters!

I especially like the poster for Kung Fu Executioner. The Jade Claw (Crystal Fist) poster is one that I haven't seen before. Very cool stuff!

Another reminder about the Billy Chong double feature tomorrow night. I'd love to go, but my schedule forbids (plus the bad traffic), but I hope you guys have fun! A new calendar is expected to be posted soon (according to the New Bev's Facebook), so we have that to look forward to (hopefully there'll be some HK movies).

We're putting the polishing touch on a few upcoming shows and should be announcing them soon!

Make sure to post about tomorrow night's double feature!

EDIT:

More info from the Grindhouse Film Festival's Facebook. "If you enjoyed him in A FIST FULL OF TALONS last week, don't miss this mind-blowing double-dose of Billy Chong tomorrow night! Both films will be screened in the English-dubbed, American-release versions." I wish I could go, but I hope those who do go will have a lot of fun!

Secret Executioner

I read about Zardoz... Looks VERY strange.

That double feature sounded really cool, you lucky basterd !!! **waves his arms around pretending he's pulling shapes**

Shaolin Patriot

Did anyone else make it out last night to see Billy Chong in JADE CLAW/KUNG FU EXECUTIONER? A relatively small crowd (25-30 people) in the entire theater. Much less than last week. Still enjoyable to see the films on the big screen for the first time. Price also included some cool trailers - from Man of Iron & Chinese Boxer (Shaw Bros.) to Gymkata (Warner Bros.). Even a Cheech and Chong animated short called Basketball Jones!!! :tongue:

Management at the New Bev also mentioned that they are currently in talks with some North American & Hong Kong distributors to get more SB films for 2015! Keep checking out their Facebook page for details soon! :wink:

Here was last night's marquee:

post-121-14419190313_thumb.jpg

New December calendar! Surprisingly (unfortunately) there is not one HK movie being screened this month. :ooh: Hopefully we can expect more in 2015. It's still a cool lineup of films regardless! For those who are interested, here's the calendar:

?format=1000w

Did anyone else make it out last night to see Billy Chong in JADE CLAW/KUNG FU EXECUTIONER? A relatively small crowd (25-30 people) in the entire theater. Much less than last week. Still enjoyable to see the films on the big screen for the first time. Price also included some cool trailers - from Man of Iron & Chinese Boxer (Shaw Bros.) to Gymkata (Warner Bros.). Even a Cheech and Chong animated short called Basketball Jones!!! :tongue:

Management at the New Bev also mentioned that they are currently in talks with some North American & Hong Kong distributors to get more SB films for 2015! Keep checking out their Facebook page for details soon! :wink:

Great rundown! I wish I could've gone last night. I'm glad you enjoyed it along with the cool trailers (hopefully these trailers are foreshadowing what's going to be screened soon). Awesome news about bringing in more SB movies! Very exciting! Thanks for the info. I'm hoping for some classics, especially kung fu movies and comedies (maybe we can finally get some Stephen Chow movies, in particular Love on Delivery, hilarious movie). These screenings should bring in a big crowd. We can only wait. :wink:

No kung fu on the calendar but looking forward to the double feature with two really fun Spaghetti Westers: They call me Halleluja and Those Dirty Dogs. Black Christmas sells out every year so buy tickets in advance if you want to see that classic horror

The screenings that most interest me are A Fistful of Dollars, Poseidon Adventure, and Rio Grande. Zardoz interests me too, but I don't want to watch it. We need more HK movies! :tongue:

Silent Deadly Night is being shown but not part 2? You have to see part 2. A cheesy masterpiece.

If memory serves me, they play Silent Night Deadly Night (and Black Christmas) yearly around the holidays. But SNDN 2 would be fun to watch with an audience. I'm sure they've shown it here before.

tumblr_mf11bscnIK1retsz1o1_400.gif

Secret Executioner

Lots of interesting sounding movies nonetheless this month. Would probably go to the Fistful Of Dollars and Die Hard screenings if I was in the area. And if they are parts of double features - that aspect isn't clear, but I assume they are -, guess I wouldn't mind staying for the other film out of curiosity.

Love to see The Deep on the big screen, Jacqueline Bisset was smoking hot in her bikini back in the day, plus that iconic moment of a Morey eel biting that guys head off:xd: really freaked me out when I was a kid.