Kung Fu Screenings at the New Beverly Cinema in LA

KenHashibe

I also love the fact that there was a sign that said, no pictures or autographs for Tarantino. That makes the experience even better because you get to view Tarantino as a paid attendee, or a normal human being, hahaha!

I forgot to take a picture of the sign when I went, but I found one on Facebook. Picture by Chris Willman:

10406846_747564258670694_4172217031020639650_n.jpg?oh=fb9f3e20d9f33f6d471cd1b671c39ea2&oe=54AD4B36&__gda__=1424873450_38844c19a3a874a9d4da806a8b0be703

Gosh darn it, I've just been thinking about how awesome it would be if there was an Aces Go Places 2/Burning Ambition double feature. Both movies are dated, entertaining, HK action movies from the 80's, but one of them is a lighthearted comedy while the other is not. Both movies have been screened here before and I would flip out if they got shown again. If only a freakin' calendar would be released. Seriously, November is right around the corner.

Still bummed I missed FoF, I wish I had just 1 friend I could check this stuff out with.:sad:

It's okay, we still have another calendar of events coming up next month. November 1st is only a few days away and they haven't posted a calendar yet. I'm very impatiently waiting for it. Hopefully, there'll be more HK movies and if there are, I'll make sure to post about them. :wink:

Honestly, you don't really need a friend to go with you because there are so many friendly people in the audience that you could talk to. I wish I could bring a few friends along too, but not all of them want to go to these screenings. It's their loss. :tongue:

BTW If anyone goes to the SiTES double feature, please post about it. It doesn't have to be as long as my post though it'd be appreciated. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm just going to be refreshing the New Bev's website until a new calendar pops up. :tongue:

New Beverly Cinema's twitter says " Next few days we hope to get the site updated. Printed calendars just came in to the theatre last night if you want to stop by."

I'm glad that they've addressed the calendar issue, so if anyone's planning on going to the New Bev before November 1st, please do us a favor and get us a calendar. I will be very grateful. :bigsmile:

New Beverly Cinema's twitter says " Next few days we hope to get the site updated. Printed calendars just came in to the theatre last night if you want to stop by."

I'm glad that they've addressed the calendar issue, so if anyone's planning on going to the New Bev before November 1st, please do us a favor and get us a calendar. I will be very grateful. :bigsmile:

The site has been somewhat updated. "Wolfen" and the dble feature w/ "The Avenging Eagle" seem to be the only movies I want to see. Here's the calendar:

http://www.thenewbev.com/calendar/

Again, I noticed that L.A.'s Z Channel showed "Hickey and Boggs" and "Short Eyes(starring Bruce Davison?)" back in the 1980s.

The site has been somewhat updated.

Well, thank god! :tongue:

"Wolfen" and the dble feature w/ "The Avenging Eagle" seem to be the only movies I want to see.

There are two kung fu movie screenings this month: The Avenging Eagle/A Fist Full of Talons on the 18th and Jade Claw/Kung Fu Executioner on the 25th. Very cool stuff! I'm also going to try making it to The Avenging Eagle double feature. I can't wait! The calendar is a little underwhelming mainly because a third of the schedule is taken up by Interstellar. No matter, I'm still very excited for the 18th. I hope a lot of you can make it to either screenings!

By the way, I just wanted to say that any double feature with either Burning Ambition or Ninja in the Dragon's Den (or both!) will be attended by me.

Ken get the Bloggin ready, November is here!

Yes! It's my pleasure to write about these events. I'll make sure to write about this event and post a bunch of pictures. :smile:

I'm also trying to make some video reviews this month, but so far, no promises.

Wow, looks like November is full of Billy Chong goodness! I'd kill to see these on the big screen!

Ken...definitely weigh in with your thoughts on this thread once you've seen them! -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841

I noticed the 3 Billy Chong movies this month. It'd be even crazier if they were the original Chinese prints (but I won't keep my hopes too high). To be completely honest (along with DrNgor), I haven't seen a Billy Chong movie, mainly because I can't find one with half decent video quality, but I think the Avenging Eagle double feature will be a great chance for me to see one for the first time! I've heard that A Fistful of Talons is a very good movie so I'm very impatiently waiting for the 18th to come. The most I've seen of a Billy Chong movie is the ending of A Fistful of Talons where an eagle gets ripped in half. Sounds strange, but I'm anxiously waiting to see the audience's reaction to that scene. I'll let you all know what happens. :wink:

Shaolin Patriot

Great news for November. I was anxiously awaiting SB films to return to the New Bev. They actually screened Avenging Eagle a few years ago (along with the Duel). It was borrowed from a Portland exhibitor. If it's the same print, then it will be Chinese w/English subs. I'm looking forward to seeing it again there. As for Billy Chong, it would be the first for me to see them on the big screen. Fingers crossed for original language (I suspect since they are advertising the US title cards, they might be the dubbed versions). I'll try to make it out for both nights.

Great news for November. I was anxiously awaiting SB films to return to the New Bev.

Yes! More SB movies! It's surprising how many Chinese prints they have for these movies. I'd imagine they would be hard to attain. With QT in the house, he sure is showing off his HK film collection (and thank god). I've heard he owns a print of Dragon Lord which he screened at the Alamo years ago. As always, I'm looking forward to next month's calendar. You never know which movies they're going to show.

They actually screened Avenging Eagle a few years ago (along with the Duel). It was borrowed from a Portland exhibitor. If it's the same print, then it will be Chinese w/English subs. I'm looking forward to seeing it again there.

I'd love to see The Avenging Eagle on 35mm film, especially in Chinese. I haven't seen it on the big screen before, but I'm very excited. This will be the second SB movie I'll see on the big screen.

As for Billy Chong, it would be the first for me to see them on the big screen. Fingers crossed for original language (I suspect since they are advertising the US title cards, they might be the dubbed versions). I'll try to make it out for both nights.

To be honest, I'm actually more excited for A Fist Full of Talons. I've heard so many great things about this movie, but I haven't seen it yet mainly because of its poor video releases. It's more than likely that it won't be a Chinese print (if it is, I will be extremely happy), but at least we get the rare enough chance to see this movie in widescreen. A Chinese print of the movie still does exist and you can find it here (though the picture quality is pretty horrendous):

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/aL3rtEx0bYU/

I doubt that QT owns a Chinese print but you never know. QT has shown A Fist Full of Talons at the Alamo before so if anyone went to that screening, I'd like to know which language the movie was in. I'll try emailing them about it and I'll keep everyone updated.

I hope you guys can make it!

OpiumKungFuCracker

Wait a minute? Is Ken and Shaolin Patriot going to be at the New Bev at the same time? Is this the first? Kung Fu brothers joining forces I see. You lucky guy you!

Shaolin Patriot
Wait a minute? Is Ken and Shaolin Patriot going to be at the New Bev at the same time? Is this the first? Kung Fu brothers joining forces I see. You lucky guy you!

Perhaps so. I think we've had other meetings between forum brothers (and sisters) in the past, around the globe. It's always great to come together for events such as this!

Maybe fatcat and iron flag will go too. Mini-kung fu brother meetup, I guess. :tongue: It's always a lot of fun going to these film events.

Perhaps so. I think we've had other meetings between forum brothers (and sisters) in the past, around the globe. It's always great to come together for events such as this!

I'm already ultra-excited to go to the Avenging Eagle double feature, but it's still 2 weeks away! :laluot_08:

Hey if any of you are near north OC, I stumbled across a bar/restaurant in the new Anaheim Packing House that has Kung Fu Wednesdays! Fu all day and 10% off alcohol!! It is an awesome hang out spot!:bigsmile:

Hey if any of you are near north OC, I stumbled across a bar/restaurant in the new Anaheim Packing House that has Kung Fu Wednesdays! Fu all day and 10% off alcohol!! It is an awesome hang out spot!:bigsmile:

I live about 30 miles away from The Packing House and with the bad traffic, I think I'll pass. :tongue: If I ever visit OC then I'll see if I can make it. It's nice to see places like these displaying kung fu movies. I wish I could own a theater that had HK movie screenings (like QT with the New Bev), but now it's only a dream. :smile:

While doing some research, I stumbled upon an awesome advertisement for A Fist Full of Talons from the May 4, 1983 issue of Variety magazine! Not only that, but it says that this movie has been screened at Cannes at the New Palais Theater! Is it really that good? I don’t know about you, but the idea of a kung fu movie being screened at Cannes in an extravagant palace-like theater is a little odd. Here’s the ad:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Rzz9U1VXhIE/UyurJg1NrRI/AAAAAAAACyA/8pk0ugblBeM/s1600/A+Fist+Full+of+Talons+Variety+Cannes+ad.jpg

Since there is no trailer that I can find of A Fist Full of Talons, I’ve been watching clips on YouTube and it looks like a lot of fun to watch! Seems unlike anything I've seen before and I’m just even more excited for the 18th (dang it)!

Also www.thenewbev.com has been updated entirely. Now you can view the events' descriptions and buy advance tickets.

I live about 30 miles away from The Packing House and with the bad traffic, I think I'll pass. :tongue: If I ever visit OC then I'll see if I can make it. It's nice to see places like these displaying kung fu movies. I wish I could own a theater that had HK movie screenings (like QT with the New Bev), but now it's only a dream. :smile:

While doing some research, I stumbled upon an awesome advertisement for A Fist Full of Talons from the May 4, 1983 issue of Variety magazine! Not only that, but it says that this movie has been screened at Cannes at the New Palais Theater! Is it really that good? I don’t know about you, but the idea of a kung fu movie being screened at Cannes in an extravagant palace-like theater is a little odd. Here’s the ad:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Rzz9U1VXhIE/UyurJg1NrRI/AAAAAAAACyA/8pk0ugblBeM/s1600/A+Fist+Full+of+Talons+Variety+Cannes+ad.jpg

Since there is no trailer that I can find of A Fist Full of Talons, I’ve been watching clips on YouTube and it looks like a lot of fun to watch! Seems unlike anything I’ve seen before and I’m just even more excited for the 18th (dang it)!

Also www.thenewbev.com has been updated entirely. Now you can view the events' descriptions and buy advance tickets.

That's cool, honestly that's what kept me from FoF, not wanting to drive into LA during rush hr on a Tuesday night.

That's cool, honestly that's what kept me from FoF, not wanting to drive into LA during rush hr on a Tuesday night.

I can't blame you, but The Avenging Eagle and A Fist Full of Talons are both movies that I'd love to watch on the big screen. Fist Full especially because it's a rare chance to see it in widescreen with an audience. The website says it's IB Tech print, which means it's fade-proof with its original colors as opposed to the overly-bright/blurry versions on YouTube. I may sound like a broken record, but I'm very excited and it's still 10 days away! :cry:

One more week left until the Eagle double feature. QT had screened A Fist Full of Talons years ago at the Alamo as part of his QT Film Festival. So in an effort to get you guys more excited, here's an article written about the experience watching this movie at the Alamo (just scroll down until you see a poster for the film):

http://www.reeldistraction.com/?action=viewNews&docID=94

I'm totally looking forward to both films, but we still have to wait another week!:laluot_20::laluot_24:

Shaolin Patriot

Since there is no trailer that I can find of A Fist Full of Talons, I’ve been watching clips on YouTube and it looks like a lot of fun to watch! Seems unlike anything I've seen before and I’m just even more excited for the 18th (dang it)!

Fist Full is definitely good, so you'll be in for a real treat. Personally, for the Billy films, I'm more anxious to see Jade Claw/KF Executioner the following week.

Shaolin Patriot

Thanks for the offer, but getting there on a weeknight would be torture.