Kung Fu Screenings at the New Beverly Cinema in LA

KenHashibe

Super Ninja

You are a lucky guy @KenHashibe, seeing these fu flicks in double feature arrangements would be like a dream come true. But also, Over the Top, The Great Escape and Torso on the big screen, I'm drooling already. The one I'd pay in gold however is that midnight screening of Donnie Darko, that's worth ten times whatever the ticket price is.

• Like 4

Oh my, did I really forget to post the August calendar?? Sorry about that here it is!

NewBev202108-FRONT-FINAL.jpgNewBev202108-BACK-FINAL.jpg

I already went to see The Muppet Movie so far this month, and I loved it! It was my first time seeing it! I'm planning to see the other Jim Henson films, as well as the Michael Chan Wai Man double feature of The Bravest Fist and The Chinese Mack, both of which I haven't seen. And I'll try to catch whatever else I'm able to see (considering most of the calendar is sold out)! What else would you be most excited to see? Also, should I still post a write up for OUATIC despite it being so late?

ALSO, there is a sneak peak trailer for September calendar! Next month, they'll be doing a "Los Angeles on Film" series, and there are tons of great movies to behold! I noticed The Master starring Jet Li (possibly pairing with The Karate Kid? I didn't see any other martial arts movies in there) which I will definitely go to see! And Repo Man, one of my favorites!

On 6/25/2021 at 1:42 AM, Super Ninja said:

You are a lucky guy @KenHashibe, seeing these fu flicks in double feature arrangements would be like a dream come true. But also, Over the Top, The Great Escape and Torso on the big screen, I'm drooling already. The one I'd pay in gold however is that midnight screening of Donnie Darko, that's worth ten times whatever the ticket price is.

I'd definitely recommend taking a trip to LA for one of these events! The New Beverly is the only place in Los Angeles to do consistent Kung Fu film screenings. I've never seen Donnie Darko actually, but I do own the Arrow Blu-ray. I'll definitely check it out one day!

• Like 6

19 hours ago, KenHashibe said:

What else would you be most excited to see?

First of all, Chinese Mack! On the big screen?! 35mm?! Whatever the price! One of my favorite bashers, you gotta check it out, that's a rare, rare treat.

Jaws. Because you just don't wanna miss that.

Slumber Party Massacre. Looks beautifuly grainy even on the computer monitor, big screen experience has got to be too good for words.

Hollywood Man and Swinging Barmaids. Because these were screened at Tarantino Film Festival so I'd be interested to chech them out. Think The Losers as well.

• Like 4

Chu Liu Hsiang
On 8/14/2021 at 1:08 AM, KenHashibe said:

Also, should I still post a write up for OUATIC despite it being so late?

If you find the time to write it, I'd be glad to read it! Never seen movies from this era on the big screen (not to mention older ones), so I can at least participate thru your experience :) 

• Like 2

Shaolin Patriot

Hopefully the New Bev will pay tribute to Sonny Chiba!  Kill Bill Vol. 1 aside, I'd rather see a Street Fighter / Bullet Train double-bill.

Gekitotsu-satsujin-ken-japanese-movie-poster-md.jpg

220px-Shinkansen_Daibakuha.jpg

• Like 3

Here is the September 2021 “Los Angeles on Film” calendar:

NewBev202109-FRONT-FINAL-v2.jpgNewBev202109-BACK-FINAL.jpg

This is a fantastic schedule! What are some movies you’ll be attending? What are standouts for you?

This is gonna be a long post as I catch up on every Hong Kong/martial arts movie that I didn’t do a writeup on. Feel free to skip around to the ones you’re most interested in. This is gonna be a long post:

July 12th, 2021: Once Upon a Time in China/Once Upon a Time in China 2

This is quite late, BUT it’s time to talk about going to see the first two Once Upon a Time in China films at the New Beverly! I’ll probably keep this one a bit shorter than the other ones I’ve written since it’s late, but I’ll still list all of the key details and funniest reactions.

Surprisingly, when we arrived this time, there was already a long line of people waiting outside. It was great to see that the Kung Fu/Hong Kong double features have become so popular, and it’s really built up a reputation as being some of the most fun movie-going experiences out there. Anyway, before the movie started, they played a quick Coca-Cola ad, then a Tom and Jerry cartoon called “Ah, Sweet Mouse - Story of Life”, which was entertaining.

Then there was a Jet Li-themed trailer reel, featuring the US trailers for Black Mask, Fearless, and Romeo Must Die, followed by Once Upon a Time in China. The film print was in Cantonese with Chinese/English subtitles. The print was in great shape with vivid colors that (for the most part) didn’t look faded. It was definitely a bit scratchier than Part 2, but it still looked great considering its age.

However, it’s interesting to note that the version of Once Upon a Time in China was a slightly shortened version of the film. There weren’t any massive changes, just like a shot or two missing here and there. Usually, this is due to print damage, however, there were no jarring cuts. It was as if it was an entirely different cut of the movie. Maybe it was a shorter version made so that theaters could have more showtimes to make more money, or maybe it was a workprint. The subtitles weren’t completed either, so there were instances where the subtitles would disappear for a few lines. And the audio mixing wasn’t complete either with many moments where the sound effects or the music sounded too quiet.

For the movie itself, the audience seemed to have a blast while watching it. There seemed to be a lot of laughs during the horrible English-speaking dialogue, specifically “Damn your Yankee laws!” The fight scenes also received excited reactions. The entire ladder fight scene had tons of wild reactions. Seeing the ladder fight on the big screen with an audience really added to how grand and spectacular that scene is.

Overall, I think that this screening really solidified Once Upon a Time in China as one of the most gorgeously-shot Hong Kong movies. The cinematography is down-right beautiful with its incredible colors and compositions. I do feel that the film is maybe a bit too long, sometimes dragging for a bit, but I think that its technical aspects and memorable characters make up for it. And there’s no denying its influence on Hong Kong action cinema with its use of wire-fu. A classic for good reason.

After a quick intermission, there was a second trailer reel, this time for Tsui Hark-directed films. I always love it when the New Beverly screens trailers that are related to the movies playing that night since it really gets you excited for what you’re able to see! This time, they showed the US trailers for The Legend of Zu (retitled Zu Warriors), Time and Tide, and Knock Off.

The print for Once Upon a Time in China 2 looked even better than the first, a borderline pristine print with minimal damage/wear. The film was also presented in Cantonese with Chinese/English subtitles, and it sounded fantastic as well. Most of the big reactions during the film came from the fight scenes. The audience went wild when the scientist was shot with an arrow during Wong Fei Hung’s lecture towards the beginning of the movie. One of the most memorable is during the raid of the consulate in which Jet Li kicks part of the staircase railing off at one of the bad guys, as well as Donnie Yen’s demise at the end. The comedy also seemed to be a lot more successful with many genuine laughs for the film’s comedy.

After watching this time, I think that OUATIC 2 is probably my favorite of the series. It’s not as gorgeous as the first, and the story is not as grand and epic as the first. The first feels like a true epic with tons of characters that cross paths until it all culminates to a grand finale. There’s something about Part 2 that feels somewhat lacking, almost like the scope of the film is down-sized, and it feels less like an epic and more like another fun episode in the (fictionalized) life of Wong Fei Hung. However, the simplicity of the story, the faster pacing, and unbelievable fight choreography is what makes this movie better in my opinion. Another amazing time at the New Beverly.

July 14th, 2021: Gunpowder Milkshake

I mainly attended this because of the film’s incredible cast, namely Karen Gillan, Angela Bassett, and Michelle Yeoh. And I later found out that Karen Gillan and the director Navot Papushado would be attending for a post-Q&A.

The movie itself had some great reactions to some of the gore. Some laughs, but a lot of “WOAH’s”. There were certain action setpieces in this movie that I thought were really smart and unlike anything I had seen before. I also love the film’s aesthetic with its music and cinematography choices. It’s a mostly fun movie with tons of potential, but the biggest issues for me were the characters and story, which both seemed not so original and not nearly as emotional as it clearly tried to be. The film constantly feels like it’s hinting at character-depth, but always falls short, or leaves characters without getting to know any of them.

The action, which looked decent in the trailers, was also somewhat lacking. There are certainly creative moments, but the movements felt overly rehearsed and unnatural. I learned in the post Q&A that many actors did their own stunts and you can tell. It’s a shame that one of the film’s big selling points was kind of a letdown. Overall, it still has a lot to admire, but I didn’t enjoy it as much as I wanted to.

The post-Q&A was entertaining though, and it’s clear to me that Karen Gillan and Navot Papushado were passionate about the project and I appreciate their efforts. Navot did tell a funny story about pitching the film to Michelle Yeoh. He mentioned one of the more violent action scenes that Michelle Yeoh would have to do, and she responded “I think that’s something my fan base would want,” so she signed onto the film. It was a great experience getting to go to this event, despite my mixed thoughts on the movie.

August 23rd, 2021: The Bravest Fist/The Chinese Mack

The short film that played before this double feature was a live action Robert Mechley short called “Keeping in Shape” from 1942. After that, the trailer reel contained a Mandarin trailer for Blind Boxer, and two English trailers for Man of Iron and The Flying Guillotine. I’ve never seen Blind Boxer, but it seems somewhat interesting. I haven’t seen The Flying Guillotine, however I think the trailer spoiled several important deaths in the film.

Onto the films, there were both movies starring Michael Chan Wai Man from 1974, and I hadn’t seen either one. The Bravest Fist was presented in its original Mandarin with Chinese/English subtitles, and I was stunned by how good the print looked for such an unknown film. The colors were vibrant and not at all faded, though there were some scratches and dirt.

This movie did not impress me with its story or characters. The story felt a lot like Kung Fu’s Hero from a few months ago. Michael Chan is a tough guy, but bad guys are terrorizing the town, and tough guy Michael Chan has to beat them up. Pretty simple stuff. The fights don't especially stand out for 1974, though there are some surprising, hilarious moments throughout. Michael Chan stabs a man in his butt, and another scene where Michael Chan lightly kicks a man in his stomach which kills him. Dean Shek plays a significant role in this movie, but not as a comic relief (thank goodness).

I don’t really have a lot to say about this one. It’s somewhat tiresome with its endless fight scenes that aren’t too impressive. And the story is paper thin. What saves the film are the plenty of hilarious moments of unintentional comedy. Definitely a fun time with a packed crowd, and it was cool to have the rare opportunity of seeing this movie in its original language. If a company were to do a telecine for this print, they wouldn’t need to do a lot of work to clean it up.

The next trailer reel included films for an upcoming Grindhouse triple feature at the New Beverly: Vice Squad, Angel, and Savage Streets.

The print for The Chinese Mack was in good condition as well, but noticeably more faded than the other print for The Bravest Fist. The Chinese Mack was presented in its English dub, though the opening scene had the burnt-on Chinese/English subtitles, but disappeared immediately after.

The Chinese Mack started out really great for me. I tend to like movies where the protagonist starts off being bullied, but then learns martial arts and is able to overcome them. But then, about 20 minutes in, the film takes a stark turn and becomes a “Ma Wing Jing” (Boxer From Shantung) story, in which the protagonist, out for fame, becomes enticed by money and lust. Based on the film’s opening, I couldn’t have predicted that this is where the movie would turn. However, it’s not really as effective as telling this story. The “Ma Wing Jing” story is one of my favorites as well, but the movie is somewhat confusing since the main character still has a moral compass (“We don’t steal from the poor!”). It’s very strange. The movie is totally unpredictable, and honestly a bit of a headache in my opinion.

But then when things couldn’t get more absurd, then comes the film’s climax, which is so wild, so insane, so utterly confusing that I’m still trying to wrap my head around how a movie with this story ever got made. It’s like the film’s writers were each given a scene to write, but they all had a different story that they were trying to write. It’s a disaster, but entertaining. I can understand the movie’s appeal, and the fights are about as decent as the ones in The Bravest Fist. On the plus side, Michael Chan does a stunt where he runs down a cliffside for real!

The biggest detriment to this movie is probably the excruciatingly long dog fight. It very much felt like a scene added just for the sake of elongating the movie, and it’s a messed up practice that apparently is still going on in parts of Asia. This definitely left a bad taste in my mouth, and is sadly the most memorable part of the movie for me. I have such mixed feelings about this movie, but it’s mostly negative. I enjoyed its randomness, its unintentional comedy, and some moments of the choreography. But the film overall was a mess, albeit an occasionally fun mess.

I still had a great time seeing these extremely rare prints at the New Beverly, and especially with its packed crowd of enthusiastic film-goers. The audience really does add a lot to the experience, as well as the vibes and the trailers. Despite how negatively I see both movies, I still enjoyed myself, and I’ll happily support any Hong Kong movie events.

September 6th, 2021: The Master/Los Angeles Streetfighters

The short film that played before this double feature was a Popeye short called “Lunch With a Punch”. After that, there was a Jet Li-themed trailer reel that contained three American trailers for Black Mask, Romeo Must Die, and The One.

I was definitely worried about which version of The Master that they would be showing. I overheard lots of conversations from other audience members who were wondering if it would be the “modernized” Miramax dub. But thankfully, the Golden Harvest logo appeared and the film’s title appeared in Chinese. The film was presented in its original Cantonese/English with Chinese/English subtitles. The print also looked shockingly good, despite being especially scratchy at the beginning and end of each reel.

My opinion of this movie always teeters between “God, this movie is awful” and “That was actually awesome”. Definitely a time capsule, and it gives you the opportunity to see how Hong Kong filmmakers think Americans act, not to mention that there are apparently coconuts in palm trees in LA (which there aren’t). But the fights are a lot of fun, the 80’s synth music is such a great mood-setter, it has a hilarious mullet-sporting villain played by Jerry Trimble, and there were tons of great laughs. And some of the stunts at the end are truly spectacular. It’s hard to believe that this director-star pair would make Once Upon a Time in China just two years later. It’s such a fun movie, all the better with the incredible audience.

For audience reactions, the biggest laughs came from the horrific English dub. “We have to catch him in the act of fighting” and “1100 Wilshire Blvd” were the standouts. The biggest reactions definitely came from…

Spoiler

The guy with the braids accidentally shoots himself several times on the bus, and the stunt where the double for Jerry Trimble falls from about 50 stories. The wire was visible, but it’s still a pretty unbelievable stunt. The audience started off with quiet “oh’s”, then progressively louder as the shot went on, until the entire audience started applauding.

The next trailer featured trailers for Chopping Mall (retitled Killbots; such a classic!), Night of the Comet, and Repo Man (which I also saw at the New Beverly and had THE BEST TIME).

Los Angeles Streetfighters (aka Ninja Turf) was presented in its original English, and the print also looked stunning! If a company were to release this print, not much clean-up would have to be done. However, I believe an HD version exists and has been shown on MGM HD.

It was just an awesome movie with an awesome soundtrack! The story is bare-bones and very repetitive (The characters fight some people, then go to a dance club or parade, then they drive around, then someone else wants to fight. This repeats about 5 times). But the fights are fantastic (it’s clear that everyone participating in the fights has incredible skill), the soundtrack is awesome, and there’s enough unintentional hilarity with the dubbing to make the non-action sequences fly by. Just when I thought The Master would certainly have the worst English dub, Los Angeles Streetfighters proved me wrong. I don’t have much else to say. What a great time, albeit not a great movie per se.

Phillip Rhee and Simon Rhee also appeared in person for the screening! I didn’t approach them because I was honestly nervous. And I heard that Jun Chong was there too, but I didn’t see him.

Also here is the October Sneak Peek video! I noticed Encounters of the Spooky Kind 2, and I couldn’t tell what other Hong Kong movies were a part of this. If anyone can spot them, let me know! I’m definitely planning to see Last Night in Soho, House and The Thing.

On 8/14/2021 at 11:20 AM, Super Ninja said:

First of all, Chinese Mack! On the big screen?! 35mm?! Whatever the price! One of my favorite bashers, you gotta check it out, that's a rare, rare treat.

Jaws. Because you just don't wanna miss that.

Slumber Party Massacre. Looks beautifuly grainy even on the computer monitor, big screen experience has got to be too good for words.

Hollywood Man and Swinging Barmaids. Because these were screened at Tarantino Film Festival so I'd be interested to chech them out. Think The Losers as well.

I'm glad that you really loved The Chinese Mack! It personally wasn't my thing. I hope the print may circulate and end up in your area one day so you'll have the same opportunity!

I unfortunately didn't see Jaws since it sold out extremely quickly. For the other films you mentioned, I didn't end up seeing them, mainly since they play somewhere frequently at the New Beverly, and I'm sure I'll catch them down the line in the future!

On 8/15/2021 at 11:07 PM, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

If you find the time to write it, I'd be glad to read it! Never seen movies from this era on the big screen (not to mention older ones), so I can at least participate thru your experience :) 

I finally found the time to sit down and write everything out! :laugh Sorry to keep you waiting, but thank you for reading!! :)

On 8/24/2021 at 10:57 PM, Shaolin Patriot said:

Hopefully the New Bev will pay tribute to Sonny Chiba!  Kill Bill Vol. 1 aside, I'd rather see a Street Fighter / Bullet Train double-bill.

Gekitotsu-satsujin-ken-japanese-movie-poster-md.jpg

220px-Shinkansen_Daibakuha.jpg

Absolutely! I'm fully expecting a Sonny Chiba double feature or midnight screening in the very near future.

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

The November 2021 schedule is available now.

"Big Trouble In Little China", "Enter The Dragon", and a Jim Kelly double feature of "Death Dimension"/"The Tattoo Connection" will be shown.

I already saw "Big Trouble In LC" on a VHS, and maybe also on DVD.  I also saw at a special screening awhile ago, in Little Tokyo.  It included a Q&A with a cast reunion, but John Carpenter and Kurt Russell weren't there.

Instead, the stars there were: Peter Kwong, Gerald Okamura, Joycelyne Lew, Jeff Imada, George Cheung, and maybe also Al Leong.  If there were a few other stars there, then I can't remember who it was.  I took a picture from the Q&A, and I'll post it here if I can find it.

During that Q&A, it almost looked like a sequel to "Big Trouble In LC", when some of the stars almost were going to have a "fake fight scene".

It's hard to tell if "Enter The Dragon" will be the 1973 theatrical version, or the Special Edition from around 1998.

I have a slight interest in seeing "Death Dimension".  I already saw "The Tattoo Connection" at The New Bev before.

That will seem to be the 2nd or 3rd time that "The Tattoo Connection" will be shown there.

That makes me still wonder why can't The New Beverly show "Tiger On The Beat" again?  Possibly in a Lau Kar Leung double feature w/ "Operation Scorpio".

https://thenewbev.com/schedule/

• Like 2

On 9/14/2021 at 10:00 AM, KenHashibe said:

Here is the September 2021 “Los Angeles on Film” calendar:

NewBev202109-FRONT-FINAL-v2.jpgNewBev202109-BACK-FINAL.jpg

This is a fantastic schedule! What are some movies you’ll be attending? What are standouts for you?

This is gonna be a long post as I catch up on every Hong Kong/martial arts movie that I didn’t do a writeup on. Feel free to skip around to the ones you’re most interested in. This is gonna be a long post:

July 12th, 2021: Once Upon a Time in China/Once Upon a Time in China 2

This is quite late, BUT it’s time to talk about going to see the first two Once Upon a Time in China films at the New Beverly! I’ll probably keep this one a bit shorter than the other ones I’ve written since it’s late, but I’ll still list all of the key details and funniest reactions.

Surprisingly, when we arrived this time, there was already a long line of people waiting outside. It was great to see that the Kung Fu/Hong Kong double features have become so popular, and it’s really built up a reputation as being some of the most fun movie-going experiences out there. Anyway, before the movie started, they played a quick Coca-Cola ad, then a Tom and Jerry cartoon called “Ah, Sweet Mouse - Story of Life”, which was entertaining.

Then there was a Jet Li-themed trailer reel, featuring the US trailers for Black Mask, Fearless, and Romeo Must Die, followed by Once Upon a Time in China. The film print was in Cantonese with Chinese/English subtitles. The print was in great shape with vivid colors that (for the most part) didn’t look faded. It was definitely a bit scratchier than Part 2, but it still looked great considering its age.

However, it’s interesting to note that the version of Once Upon a Time in China was a slightly shortened version of the film. There weren’t any massive changes, just like a shot or two missing here and there. Usually, this is due to print damage, however, there were no jarring cuts. It was as if it was an entirely different cut of the movie. Maybe it was a shorter version made so that theaters could have more showtimes to make more money, or maybe it was a workprint. The subtitles weren’t completed either, so there were instances where the subtitles would disappear for a few lines. And the audio mixing wasn’t complete either with many moments where the sound effects or the music sounded too quiet.

For the movie itself, the audience seemed to have a blast while watching it. There seemed to be a lot of laughs during the horrible English-speaking dialogue, specifically “Damn your Yankee laws!” The fight scenes also received excited reactions. The entire ladder fight scene had tons of wild reactions. Seeing the ladder fight on the big screen with an audience really added to how grand and spectacular that scene is.

Overall, I think that this screening really solidified Once Upon a Time in China as one of the most gorgeously-shot Hong Kong movies. The cinematography is down-right beautiful with its incredible colors and compositions. I do feel that the film is maybe a bit too long, sometimes dragging for a bit, but I think that its technical aspects and memorable characters make up for it. And there’s no denying its influence on Hong Kong action cinema with its use of wire-fu. A classic for good reason.

After a quick intermission, there was a second trailer reel, this time for Tsui Hark-directed films. I always love it when the New Beverly screens trailers that are related to the movies playing that night since it really gets you excited for what you’re able to see! This time, they showed the US trailers for The Legend of Zu (retitled Zu Warriors), Time and Tide, and Knock Off.

The print for Once Upon a Time in China 2 looked even better than the first, a borderline pristine print with minimal damage/wear. The film was also presented in Cantonese with Chinese/English subtitles, and it sounded fantastic as well. Most of the big reactions during the film came from the fight scenes. The audience went wild when the scientist was shot with an arrow during Wong Fei Hung’s lecture towards the beginning of the movie. One of the most memorable is during the raid of the consulate in which Jet Li kicks part of the staircase railing off at one of the bad guys, as well as Donnie Yen’s demise at the end. The comedy also seemed to be a lot more successful with many genuine laughs for the film’s comedy.

After watching this time, I think that OUATIC 2 is probably my favorite of the series. It’s not as gorgeous as the first, and the story is not as grand and epic as the first. The first feels like a true epic with tons of characters that cross paths until it all culminates to a grand finale. There’s something about Part 2 that feels somewhat lacking, almost like the scope of the film is down-sized, and it feels less like an epic and more like another fun episode in the (fictionalized) life of Wong Fei Hung. However, the simplicity of the story, the faster pacing, and unbelievable fight choreography is what makes this movie better in my opinion. Another amazing time at the New Beverly.

It was great to see you again there, when I saw you w/ your friends while I was already in line outside the theatre, before "OUATIC1" started.  I couldn't stay to see "OUATIC2" though.  I hope the theatre will somehow make their nighttime showtimes earlier, like 6:30p or 7p.

• Like 2

Shaolin Patriot

According to their Facebook page, the New Bev will now require proof of COVID vaccination beginning on Nov. 8.  Be sure to arrive early!

Notice: starting Monday, November 8th 2021, patrons will be required to provide Proof of Vaccination, such as a physical vaccine card or digital proof of vaccination, and matching photo ID before entry.  Please see our site or the recent Los Angeles ordinance for further details.  While we work together through these new changes, we ask for early arrival to allow proper time for all patrons to go through the entry line before showtime.

https://www.facebook.com/newbeverlycinema

• Like 2

The March 2022 calendar is available now.  It includes a Michelle Yeoh double feature of "Tai Chi Master"/"Wing Chun".  It's interesting  that some Friday showtimes are now earlier, at 7p instead of 7:30p.

That double feature doesn't sound creative, in my opinion.  For a Michelle Yeoh dbl feature, seems like it'd be better to show something such as "Yes, Madam"/"Project S", or "Yes, Madam"/"Silver Hawk".

Here is the March 2022 calendar:

NewBev202203-FRONT-FINAL.jpg

NewBev202203-BACK-FINAL.jpg

• Like 5

Apologies for the lack of updates recently! Thank you @wackiechan for posting the March calendar.

Over the last few months, I've still been attending screenings at the New Beverly, but hadn't gotten around to writing about the experience, including the recent Michelle Yeoh double feature. If I can find the time, I'll do a quick write up of the event since it was tons of fun, and the audience had some crazy reactions to certain scenes.

Recently, the New Beverly posted a sneak peak of their April 2022 calendar, including Hard Boiled, and the first two Police Story movies! I am freaking out at the thought of being able to attend these screenings! I've seen Hard Boiled and Police Story on 35mm, but not at the New Beverly yet. I'm sure with the New Bev audience, it'll be even more exhilarating! Here's the sneak peak video below:

• Like 5

DragonClaws
Just now, KenHashibe said:

Over the last few months, I've still been attending screenings at the New Beverly, but hadn't gotten around to writing about the experience, including the recent Michelle Yeoh double feature. If I can find the time, I'll do a quick write up of the event since it was tons of fun, and the audience had some crazy reactions to certain scenes.

Looking forward to reading your write-up @KenHashibe, was there a big crowd for this double feature?.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2022 at 2:53 PM, KenHashibe said:

Apologies for the lack of updates recently! Thank you @wackiechan for posting the March calendar.

You're welcome, Ken.

Here's the April 2022 calendar.  It includes some good "Action April" choices, such as "The Spy Who Loved Me", but I wonder how come any of the following movies couldn't be shown instead:

"The Enforcer"

"Code of Silence"

"F/X"

April 2022 New Beverly calendar

April 2022 New Beverly calendar

• Like 4

On 3/12/2022 at 4:32 PM, DragonClaws said:

Looking forward to reading your write-up @KenHashibe, was there a big crowd for this double feature?.

Thank you for your interest, @DragonClaws! And if I remember correctly, it was probably two-thirds full, but the audience was still as energetic and loud as usual.

In the theater, before and between the films, they were playing music from A Better Tomorrow, Police Story, and Crazy Rich Asians, which was a great mood-setter. After one of the workers introduced the films, they played The Tom & Jerry Cartoon Kit, which is not at all one of my favorites. Following that was a Michelle Yeoh trailer reel, featuring the US trailers for Tomorrow Never Dies, Supercop, and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

The first film of the night was Tai Chi Master on a 35mm print in Cantonese w/ Chinese/English subtitles. The print looked good with mostly good color. It definitely had scratches and wear, but not enough to take away from the experience. The audience was clearly loving the movie with their reactions. The loudest reactions definitely came from two specific moments. The first was during Michelle Yeoh's fight in the restaurant. It's the part where Michelle Yeoh does the splits, then jumps up, using the table legs as stilts. The audience went wild and starting screaming. The second was during a later fight where Jet Li's character bounces on the three guards with his head. The audience also laughed when Jet Li and Chin Siu Hou were breaking bricks over their heads while having a casual conversation, and when they "buried" a dead guard using thin branches, basically leaving him completely visible.

After the intermission. The second trailer reel included films playing later in the month: Thelma and Louise, Marie Antoinette and Jennifer's Body.

The print for Wing Chun was cleaner print, but had a noticeable orange tint (though that may be an intentional filter over the film, I'm not too sure). Wing Chun was presented on a 35mm film print in Cantonese w/ Chinese/English subtitles, however, there were additional Indonesian subtitles pasted on top. It was somewhat distracting at first, since about a third of the screen was occupied by subtitles, but I got used to it quickly. The biggest reactions certainly came from the tofu fight scene toward the beginning, and the scene where one of the bad guys yells "I have no dick!" Many audience members also laughed when Michelle Yeoh gets this group of baddies to call her "Mom" by the end of it.

Overall, another great time at the New Beverly. I never expected I'd get to see either of these films on the big screen, but I'm very happy I could. I'm very fortunate to be a Hong Kong movie fan and live in this area, and I hope others on the forum will get that chance at some point.

On 3/17/2022 at 3:06 AM, wackiechan said:

You're welcome, Ken.

Here's the April 2022 calendar.  It includes some good "Action April" choices, such as "The Spy Who Loved Me", but I wonder how come any of the following movies couldn't be shown instead:

"The Enforcer"

"Code of Silence"

"F/X"

Definitely excited for the Police Story double feature, plus Hard Boiled! For anyone attending the PS double feature, keep in mind that the print of PS might be cut by about 10 minutes, if it's QT's print (which I'm assuming it is). It's a print of a shorter HK cut that was apparently released in some theaters. The biggest changes are the removal of the press conference, photo shoot scenes, the dart board scene, and the second half of the telephone scene. I'm assuming the PS2 print is the one part of AFGA's archive (used for the Criterion Blu-ray).

I'll also be seeing Akira since it's one of my favorites. AND it's a Japanese print which is exciting.

• Like 4

DragonClaws
Just now, KenHashibe said:

Thank you for your interest, @DragonClaws! And if I remember correctly, it was probably two-thirds full, but the audience was still as energetic and loud as usual.

Nice to hear theres still enthusiasm for these movies on the big screen.

• Like 2

I live in Southern California, and I still haven't attended a screening at the New Beverly yet! Maybe there can be a mini-group meeting at a future screening. 

• Like 4

hanshotfirst1138

I wish people who screened things on 35mm understood that there are places besides New York City and Los Angeles.

• Like 5

Apologies for the lack of updates to this thread. I'll do a quick catch-up for the Hong Kong events that occured over the previous months (I'll link each title to my review on Letterboxd so this post won't get too lengthy):

1. The New Bev had an action-themed month during April, so they showed Hard Boiled (1992) from April 8th to the 10th. They also showed Police Story (1985) and Police Story 2 (1988) as a double feature on the 18th
  2. On May 16th, during the New Bev's "Halfway to Halloween", they showed two Hong Kong horror movies: The Day That Doesn't Exist (1995) and Evil Cat (1987).
  3. During June, they featured two Hong Kong double features: Happy Together (1997) and Days of Being Wild (1990) on June 10th to the 12th, and Death Duel of Kung Fu (1979) with Along Comes a Tiger (1977) (I was unable to attend this screening. Apparently, they were both in Mandarin w/ Chinese/English subtitles).

And here's the non-Hong Kong stuff I saw fairly recently at the New Bev too: Jeanne Dielman (1975), Akira (1988), Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022), Kiki's Delivery Service (1989), Evil Dead 2 (1987), and I Saw the Devil (2010).

On 3/29/2022 at 1:57 PM, DragonClaws said:

Nice to hear theres still enthusiasm for these movies on the big screen.

Absolutely! The Hong Kong events have been well-attended, most being either sold out or close to it. Even The Day That Doesn't Exist/Evil Cat was mostly full, despite both being almost unheard of in the US. And of course, the audiences have been loving them! The Hong Kong screenings have certainly earned a reputation with the New Bev crowd.

On 4/22/2022 at 4:20 PM, wuxiaman said:

I live in Southern California, and I still haven't attended a screening at the New Beverly yet! Maybe there can be a mini-group meeting at a future screening. 

That would be great! I know they're showing Seven Warriors (1989) with Burning Ambition (1989) tonight. I highly recommend going; I really enjoy both films. Burning Ambition is one of my favorites.

On 6/6/2022 at 4:50 AM, hanshotfirst1138 said:

I wish people who screened things on 35mm understood that there are places besides New York City and Los Angeles.

Agreed. I want as many people as possible to be able to experience these kind of events. The only non-LA/NY theater I know that shows these films regularly is the Hollywood Theatre in Portland, Oregan.

• Like 3

Is there something like this in NYC? Other than Subway Cinema for Asian cinema? How I don't know this is embarrassing. 

Shaolin Patriot
6 hours ago, Gaijin84 said:

Is there something like this in NYC? Other than Subway Cinema for Asian cinema? How I don't know this is embarrassing. 

How about Lincoln Center? I know they screened Kung Fu Hustle last month. 

The May 2023 schedule is available.

It includes Jackie Chan's "Rumble In The Bronx"/"First Strike".  Both will be the rare original, uncut HK versions w/ English subtitles!

I already saw "Rumble In The Bronx" at San Gabriel, CA's Kuo Hwa Theatre(in the L.A. area), back in 1995 on Chinese New Year Day.  I wouldn't mind seeing that HK version again though.  It shows one of the best examples of Jackie's creative action scenes.

I also saw "First Strike" before already, but it was the U.S. theatrical version.  I don't think I've seen the uncut Hong Kong release.

Hopefully some Jet Li, Bruce Lee, or other HK movies will also be screened in the near future.  Here are my suggestions:

"Once Upon A Time In China 2"

"Black Mask"

"Fist of Legend"

"Enter The Dragon"(original 1973 release, not the Special Edition from around 1998)

"Way of the Dragon"

"Enter The Fat Dragon"(1978, Sammo Hung)

"Tiger on the Beat"

https://thenewbev.com/schedule/

• Like 1

wackiechan

It looks like The New Beverly will show "Shaolin Soccer", "Kung Fu Hustle", "The Matrix", and a Maggie Cheung HK movie next month.