"Hands of Lau" documentary...

Drunken Monk

News is a little scarce on this one, but apparently Mark Houghton has been working on a documentary about the late Lau Kar Leung and Hung Gar called "Hands of Lau."

Here's a translation of http://www.mingpaocanada.com/Van/htm/News/20140809/HK-mbh2_r.htm, where I found a little more information...

"Hands of Lau" earlier shooting in Hong Kong, and back to the mainland to track the footprints of Master Liu. Promote filming this documentary is Lau Kar Leung's apprentice Mark Houghton. Mark is British, early involvement in 1988 directed by Lau Kar Leung's "new best partner" performance, 1990s formal apprentice. Recently "Hands of Lau" Tin Hau Temple in Clearwater shooting reporters to visit the set, Mark Lau Wan instrument with the same interview, Mark revealed a series of plans, including to set a new "Liu classes."

Respect master's wishes

Mark said: "March 2013, I told the teacher I had tea in Hong Lok injured have been 10 years without filming, he suggested that I could do martial or director, do not stop when the Master said:" Although I am sick, but I still Yeah! I can teach you kung fu, martial arts action. "Master spoke happily, although I feel the pressure, but also promised later master passed away, and I was his apprentice, of course, not as he smart, but respect him the last wish I conceived a new set of Liu classes they would like to develop in the film industry in China, Singapore, Malaysia, United Kingdom, United States, France also has a master's apprentice opened martial arts, I hope a few disciples to teach newcomers the collection effort and filming action, have the opportunity to re-shoot the most important there is a market, I would like to Los Angeles and San Francisco film company Pathfinder, was in response to the United States, Hong Kong martial arts action with different, think there may be. "

America beat Lau Kar Leung documentary.

U.S. production company instantly send a crew to shoot in Hong Kong, Liu master documentary, will arrange broadcast television stations in the United States. He said there are two directors include Quinton Tarantino'm looking forward to this documentary, which is the touchstone, and if the audience response is good, they will shoot 10 episodes of kung fu reality show. 10 people will be raised to accept as "36th Chamber of Shaolin" training. He was invited to participate in filming a documentary Wan instrument, when Liu kung fu master have to teach her daughter, brother and sister with Mark is a teacher, and now as a junior sister apprentice "makeup." He said that although the master is gone, but never are Wan Miriam heart, she felt more contact with his father's life more effort.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been lucky enough (thanks to mark Houghton) to see the 2:30 min teaser trailer and it looks superb. Some nice footage of Lau si-fu both in action and discussing martial arts, and awe inspiring clips of the new Lau Kar Ban in action...Pops's spirit lives on.

Hopefully I will get the chance to put the full 6 min trailer on my Lau Kar Leung Appreciation Society Facebook page

Drunken Monk

Is this just a documentary or is there more to it? This video popped up recently and it seems that there's some serious fight choreography going on...

sWbYh9dLpoY

This is cool. I would hope that there is more to it than just this. I would like to see a full-length doc with some unseen interviews, etc. :wink:

This is cool. I would hope that there is more to it than just this. I would like to see a full-length doc with some unseen interviews, etc. :wink:

Yeah, I agree. Hopefully it's longer.

I remember seeing some footage on YouTube of LKL talking about choreography and how it compared to reality (memory is a bit fuzzy).

Yeah, I agree. Hopefully it's longer.

I remember seeing some footage on YouTube of LKL talking about choreography and how it compared to reality (memory is a bit fuzzy).

Maybe this one?:

TyUogdL8jY0

This one is from Red Trousers. The crazy thing is, at one point, I was going to sell this dvd. Then, I really got into Pop`s movies and am damn glad that I didn't. I wish that Dragon Dynasty would have gone through with interviewing him. He is one of those people that I could listen to for months. He just had so much knowledge. Its too bad that there are not more interviews with him.

It wasn't that one. I really need to get Red Trousers. The interview with him in the Tribute to Action Choreographers that the HK film archive put out was cool too.

The clip I remember was shorter and it featured people who may have been students of his, or stuntmen.

His recollections in Red Trousers were really informative. Those interviews are rarely mentioned on here.

I've not seen the HK archive tribute, is it widely available?

Archived