Looking to check out more horror.

paimeifist

I have seen Human Lanterns, which is equal parts kung fu as horror, and is one of my very favorite Shaws. I have also seen Black Magic, which was worth a watch to me, but nothing great.

What are a couple more Shaw horror films to check out?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

I'm not a fan of Black Magic. Check out Seeding of a Ghost and Boxer's Omen. I put them up there with Peter Jackson's Braindead because of their creativity. These movies are wild and they are not for everyone. Do you like horrific pregnancy scenes? Do you like Fear Factor?

I saw one 'Hex' movie, it was alright.

'Revenge of the Corpse' might have been mentioned.

'Corpse Mania' wasn't that great, but I'd see it anyway if I were you.

Secret Executioner
While it isn't an all-out horror, I'd recommend "Bloody Parrot."

Sounds more like a Monty Python sketch than a horror movie - good thing they didn't call this "Dead Parrot". :tongue:

It would have been better titled "Nude hottie asian girl horror film". :xd:

It is an interesting film though with a pretty cool ending. Certainly worth a watch for anyone interested in Shaws horror films.

One of the main problems with some of these Shaw films is that some of them do contain a mixture of horror/fantasy/kung fu so it might make it a little difficult to classify them under any one genre.

But, the ones that come to mind are:

Revenge of the Corpse

Hex

The Killer Snakes

Boxer`s Omen

Seeding of a Ghost

The Fake Ghost Catchers - (more horror/comedy)

Corpse Mania

Not all of these films are classics of the genre but are at least decent to check out. I would say that the stand-out film of all of these is Revenge of the Corpse.

I'm also a fan of Bloody Parrot. This was a film I owned in the 90s in an extremely poor quality VHS bootleg and almost unreadable subs.. those were the days. If you like the mental Chinese fantasy type films you might dig it. Portrait in Crystal is another similar film with Pai Paio. It's been a while since I saw either though.

Revenge of the Corpse and Human Lanterns (which you've already seen) would be my favourite Shaw horrors.

masterofoneinchpunch

If you are interested I did a full length review here on Seeding of a Ghost.

[on Killer Snakes] I personally have mixed feelings towards it. Think of it as a tale of a boy and his snakes. Well the depressing tale of an individual whose life has been one of misery who nurses and gets attached to half-dead snakes and uses them in his plans to get even with those who wronged him. No humor, plenty of real tortured/killed snakes, plenty of exploitative scenes (not one to show a loved one) and ultimately is a nihilistic look on basically everything (one of the biggest reasons people take a big dislike to it, besides the snake torture). Same director as Corpse Mania (1981) and The Boxer's Omen (1983). Corpse Mania is strangely uninteresting though.

Now The Boxer's Omen is disgusting but so far my favorite Shaw Brother horror, though I do like Human Lanterns. Above both Black Magics. I still have not seen Hex or Bloody Parrot (which I am not interested in getting.)

Boxer's Omen is the sequel to Bewitched, for my money the two best horror movies SB has to offer. I especially love the opening music to Bewitched.

I found some scenes from Boxer's omen really disgusting...

haha, no doubt.

To tell you the truth, I'd never eat meat if I had to clean the guts out myself. :biggrin:

Having said that, Shaw did the gore tastefully to say the least!

Boxer's Omen is the sequel to Bewitched, for my money the two best horror movies SB has to offer. I especially love the opening music to Bewitched.

I really like Ngaii Fei (Lead in Bewitched)

He was a great character actor!

Shaw had so many great character actors.

Hm, so far, sound like I should go with Boxer's Omen, seems to get a decent bit of praise and it is easily attainable.

Phillip Ko Fei is in it, so that should sway you to buy it!

Morgoth Bauglir
While it isn't an all-out horror, I'd recommend "Bloody Parrot."

Yeah this is a good one if you are a fan of Human Lanterns. I haven't seen Portrait of Crystal but it sounds good. I would say that kung fu horror is one of my favorite genres but I don't know if there is enough of them to even call it a genre.

masterofoneinchpunch
Yeah this is a good one if you are a fan of Human Lanterns. I haven't seen Portrait of Crystal but it sounds good. I would say that kung fu horrors are one of my favorite genres but I don't know if there is enough of them to even call it a genre.

Fastidious classification alert: Once you start adding more than one description I tend to consider it a subgenre.

I like horror, but not gore/exploitation---I like more old-fashioned, atmospheric stuff. So if you're into that, the ones I like are :

The Enchanting Shadow. Early Shaw flick, 1960---very formal, traditional Chinese ghost story. I love this one.

Return of the Dead---anthology horror/erotic film. There's a Chinese version of "The Monkey's Paw" in here.

And a couple more ghost stories:

The Bride From Hell

Lady Jade Locket

I guess I'd say that...

Spiritual Boxer

Fake Ghost Catchers

The Shadow Boxing (Spiritual Boxer 2)

Finger of Doom

...have some horror overtones, too.

And don't forget The Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires!

Morgoth Bauglir
Fastidious classification alert: Once you start adding more than one description I tend to consider it a subgenre.

I never thought about that but it makes sense. What about when it is a combination of 3 genres? Like All for the Winner. Comedy/gambling/martial arts.

Treacherous Mastermind

Black Lizard is a fun shaw "horror" movie. The only problem is that Yueh Hua was one big crazy mastermind in most of the movie, then at the end of the movie he turns out to be a twit.

masterofoneinchpunch
I never thought about that but it makes sense. What about when it is a combination of 3 genres? Like All for the Winner. Comedy/gambling/martial arts.

Classification is rarely exact. Still I use the term subgenre (the prefix "sub" can mean subordinate) for ideas that do not fit under one of the known major genres. But for film like All For the Winner I would consider it in the gambling/comedy more than the martial arts* portion. Films tend to have dominating elements (always debatable of course) so a film that is mostly drama but has a couple of comedy elements will still be considered a drama. But both comedy and drama are genres so neither one would get classified as a subgenre. For All For the Winner it is the gambling portion that makes it a subgenre.

* Of course there are many that consider martial arts films to be subgenres of action. And in martial art films you can often split it into kung fu or wuxia.

Examples:

Horror (genre) -> Ghost (subgenre)

Horror (genre) -> Serial Killer (subgenre)

Horror (genre) -> Zombie (subgenre)

Horror (genre) -> Zombie -> virus caused (subgenre)

Drunken Arts

I have not yet watched my copies of Boxer's Omen, Finger Of Doom, Seeding Of A Ghost. But looking forward to getting into them. :)

I enjoyed Bloody Parrot, Portrait In Crystal & Human Lanterns. Black Lizard was ok imo.

Is Bat Without Wings worth a mention? Its been a while since i see it..

Eastern Evil
I have not yet watched my copies of Boxer's Omen, Finger Of Doom, Seeding Of A Ghost. But looking forward to getting into them. :)

I enjoyed Bloody Parrot, Portrait In Crystal & Human Lanterns. Black Lizard was ok imo.

Is Bat Without Wings worth a mention? Its been a while since i see it..

What I would say about Bat Without Wings is that it is a beautiful visual;.

Chor Yuen was the fog master.

Archived