Classic Wuxia Novels

paimeifist

Anyone know of any decent english translated versions of some of these? Getting eye surgery soon and probably won't be able I handle light for a little while.. Figure reading may be a good way to pass the time, and I would love to better learn the inspiration of some of these films we all love.

• Like 2

Anyone know of any decentwnish translated versions of some of these? Getting eye surgery soon and probably won't be able I handle light for a little while..
Best of luck with your surgery!

The Eleventh Son: A Novel Of Martial Arts And Tangled Love by Long Gu and (translator) Rebecca S. Tai

There are also a number here:

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/forumdisplay.php/29-Wuxia-Translations

• Like 2

Thanks a lot guys, I will probably have to read print. It isn't a major surgery (if there is a such thing as a "minor" one). But it is going to be performed on my cornea, which is the part of your eye that protects you from light. The condition I have also "only" effects the cornea, but don't get it twisted..it is excruciatingly painful, and there is no way to pass the time during it, as any light hurts it, and it is more painful to close your eyes (IE trying to sleep) than it is to have them open.

• Like 1

Hi Paimefist.

I've got that Eleventh Son, it's a good read but a little short, another good one is Book and Sword by Jin Yong which has a great story and is a bit more epic, in fact it's my favourite Jin Yong story. I also have Journey to the West, Water Margin and Three Kingdoms which are incredibly long and also slightly dull (except for JTTW), these are from this publisher here, they've got small print though and are real eye strainers!

I've got a load of Jin Yong books (if I can find them) on PDF as well which I can email you if you can use them.

What country are you in mate?

• Like 1

They are pricey, but if you search Amazon for "Library of Chinese Classics" there are some nice looking books available.

If they say you shouldn't read, perhaps stock up on podcasts:

http://www.3kingdomspodcast.com/

http://chinahistorypodcast.com/

http://thehistoryofchina.wordpress.com/ (gets better as it goes along)

http://podcastonfire.com/

• Like 1

The Seven Heroes and Five Gallants translated by Song Shouquan, Panda Books, 520 pages, published 1997, hardcover available used on Amazon for $20. The adventures about Judge Bao and his knights, set in China 1000 years ago, have usually been made into tv series (some episodes on Youtube), not movies. Classic wuxia literature. There was also a graphic novel, Judge Bao and the Jade Phoenix, hardcover, 2012, available cheap on Amazon. If you're interested in the righteous judge-type literature, Van Gulik wrote several novels about Judge Dee, set during the Tang Dynasty. They're more detective novels than wuxia.

Creation of the Gods (aka Investiture of the Gods), 2 volumes, translated by Gu Zhizhong, New World Press, 1992, available on Amazon but not cheap. This is sword fantasy, not wuxia, but is the basis for NaCha the Great (Shaw Brothers movie starring Fu Sheng) and the Chinese animated movie Chinese Gods. It's also the basis for at least one tv series (2014) and a big budget Chinese movie trilogy was announced several years ago, but I haven't heard anything about that since.  Update - League of Gods was probably the first of the films in the trilogy, but no further movies in that series have been announced. 

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 1

If you're interested in, I have an adventure of Detective Dee by Van Gulik in English. I never read it because when I bought it, I hadn't paid attention to the author and it's only when I received it that I realized that I already had all Detective Dee's adventure in French (in French, he is called Judge Ti, so, I hadn't realized that it was the same character...), so, the book is new, just unsealed...

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch
On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2014 at 8:32 AM, Gaijin84 said:

[on Journey to the West vol. 1 translated by Anthony C. Yu]

I got these and am currently reading the first one. The language is a bit dense, but an interesting read.

Awakening the dead thread (or sleeping like Chin Yuet-Sang in Last Hurrah for Chivalry):

I started working on this (working is correct I'm taking notes, looking up an insane amount of words, legends etc...); while I am liking the story so far (just read chapter 1) the introduction (96 pages and more than 100 if you include the endnotes with it just from the introduction) is a bit turgid, though his research is outstanding, for my tastes and took me a few days to get through (I spent hours on it and reread).

Did you read the introduction?  If so what did you think?  Do you think it pays to read before and/or after the 100 chapters?

So far found three spelling mistakes :D.  The hardcover was so expensive so I bought they softcover.  If the hardcover goes down in price I will purchase those.

Every year I like to try to read at least one difficult/epic in literature.  I have been wanting to improve my Chinese literature knowledge so I thought I would start here especially since I have seen so many movie adaptations of this.

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

Digging classical literature, mythology, and folk tales, I found a source of endless joy in Chinese books. So far I read Romance of Three Kingdoms, Journey to the West, and Water Margin. Took a lot of notes, maps, and time, but really love them, and intend to read them again. 

On 28.2.2017 at 9:20 PM, masterofoneinchpunch said:

(...) Did you read the introduction?  If so what did you think?  Do you think it pays to read before and/or after the 100 chapters? (...) 

IIRC, I got up to about one quarter of Anthony C. Yu's introduction to JTTW before jumping to the 100 chapters, and then read parts of the remaining introduction after finishing the novel. Interesting as the intro is, at some point I just wanted to start that Monkey King's adventures. I didn't reach a point where I thought I should finish the intro before continuing the novel, is all I can say. I guess it's up to the reader's scholarly aspiration. 

Robert van Gulik's Judge Dee novels are wonderful, such a pity the Shaws didn't make an adaptation. There is also a French guy who writes Dee novels (Frederic Lenormand) but they are another cup of tea since he lacks van Gulik's deep insight and love of Chinese culture, and does not even seem to like the characters. Pretty good historic detective novels though. 

Jin Yong's Deer and Cauldron (translation John Minford, 3 volumes) and Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain (translation Olivia Mok) are also available as books. French publisher You Feng released some Gu Long and Jin Yong novels: 3 Chu Liu Hsiang books, and Happy Heroes/ Les Quatre Brigands de Huabei; respectively Legend of Condor Heroes (2 books), and Return of Condor Heroes (3 books). Unfortunately, at least some of them are shortened.

Dream of the Red Chamber, and Investiture of the Gods, are still on my pile. At the moment, I read Pu Song Ling's collection of ghost stories, Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio. A Chinese Ghost Story, or Painted Skin, are based on stories from that collection. Wonderful read, especially in wintertime.

On 27.9.2014 at 7:34 PM, whitesnake said:

The Seven Heroes and Five Gallants translated by Song Shouquan, Panda Books, 520 pages, published 1997, hardcover available used on Amazon for $20. (...)

Will look out for that one!

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch
14 minutes ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

IIRC, I got up to about one quarter of Anthony C. Yu's introduction to JTTW before jumping to the 100 chapters, and then read parts of the remaining introduction after finishing the novel. Interesting as the intro is, at some point I just wanted to start that Monkey King's adventures. I didn't reach a point where I thought I should finish the intro before continuing the novel, is all I can say. I guess it's up to the reader's scholarly aspiration. 

I would have to say in my opinion it helps to have read (or reading) the book before reading the introduction.  Going back over the introduction as I have been reading it have been somewhat helpful, but I think after I finish the whole book I am going to reread the introduction.

[mixed with comments and advice to people who might read the book later]

With Yu's writing style it really does help to have a dictionary (or dictionary.com) handy.  Though like most authors when you get use to some of the esoteric diction they use they often reuse those very same words and it becomes an easier (not easy) read (analogous to reading 19th century literature like Herman Melville who uses an archaic nautical diction which also takes lots of looking up ...).  Yu is quite good with the endnotes so when you are reading it, it pays to use two bookmarks (or use the bookmark you are reading for the endnotes chapter, you will be going back in forth quite a lot.)

When reading this make sure you carve a few months out for this.  I have been reading this at least an hour a day (the intro was slower going so it took me longer per page than chapter 1 and after.)  One aspect you get used to (but might take some time getting into it) is the amount of doggerel poetry in it.

The first seven chapters are strictly on the Monkey King (Sun Wukong; Handsome Monkey King; Great Sage, Equal to Heaven; BanHorsePlaque -- all these are names are used for him) and is his stories from creation to imprisonment.  It is a prologue (really almost a separate book) to the upcoming adventures of the western journey.  But it is fun and he is a naughty (baneful), insanely powerful monkey (well heavenly created monkey-like creature with anthropomorphic features.)  Reading this you then realize (if you have seen) the differences in the Stephen Chow "Journey to the West" films (acted and directed.)

It slows a bit down in the eight chapter. 

• Like 2

The Chinese martial arts novel, Legend of the Condor Heroes by Louis Cha (aka Jin Yong), has been made into seemingly countless movies and TV series.  The novel is getting a proper English translation for publication in Europe and North America in 2018, according to Chinese Mosaic.  I found the news here - http://filmcombatsyndicate.blogspot.com/2017/12/jin-yongs-legend-of-condor-heroes-lands.html   The official announcement is here - http://www.china.org.cn/video/2017-12/14/content_50103352.htm  

Legend of the Condor Heroes is the first in the Condor Trilogy, followed by The Return of the Condor Heroes, and The Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber.  Other Louis Cha novels published in English include The Book and the Sword (Oxford University Press, 2005), Fox Volant of the Snowy Mountain  (The Chinese University Press, 1996), and The Deer and the Cauldron Books 1, 2 and 3 (Oxford University Press, published in 1997, 2000, and 2003, respectively).  The Deer and the Cauldron was made into the movies Royal Tramp and Royal Tramp II, both filmed in 1992, starring  Stephen Chow.  The cheapest book of the above to get on Amazon is Fox Volant of the Snowy Mountain, due to the inferior translation by Olivia Mok.  Asiapac (Singapore) published a graphic novel series for Return of the Condor Heroes (I think it included 20 volumes) about 20 years ago.  In 2005 Comics One Corporation started publishing English-language graphic novels based on a couple of Louis Cha novels:  Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre (illustrated by Wing Shing Ma) and The Legendary Couple (illustrated by Tony Wong, not sure which novel this is based on).  A pretty good book about Louis Cha is Paper Swordsmen: Jin Yong and the Modern Chinese Martial Arts Novel by Christopher Hamm (University of Hawaii Press, 2004).  Some reasonably priced used copies are available on Amazon.    

• Like 5

Chu Liu Hsiang

Dedicated French Publishers Libraire You Feng published two more Jin Yong Stories: La Ballade des Paladins (Ode to Gallantry), translated by Denizet Phillipe, and Tian Long Ba Bu (Semi Gods and Demi Devils), translated by Nicole Tagnon and Xie Weidong. Both in 2 tomes each.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

Dedicated French Publishers Libraire You Feng published two more Jin Yong Stories: La Ballade des Paladins (Ode to Gallantry), translated by Denizet Phillipe, and Tian Long Ba Bu (Semi Gods and Demi Devils), translated by Nicole Tagnon and Xie Weidong. Both in 2 tomes each.

You took it from my mouth !!

• Like 2

Chu Liu Hsiang

I really love this publisher, for enabling me to read these wonderful novels in book form! If I ever make it to Paris again, I will go to one of their shops and tell them how much I appreciate. They will probably think I'm lunatic but that's ok :angel

• Like 2

If you go to the site purple culture, you can find some books in both Chinese and English language.

I bough there Seven knights and five gallants, telling some adventures of Judge Bao. They also have some poetry from Li Bai (I wonder if it's the same as the hero of the ATV series Poetic sword Li Pai...) and other interesting books.

I don't buy from You Feng because thy don't use paypal and I have to order from them by asking in books shops...

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

Will check out website purple culture for sure, thanks for the hint! I use a friend's credit card for buying with You Feng, they should really accept PayPal, hopefully they will one fine day.

• Like 2

It's out - the English translation of Jin Yong's Legend of the Condor Heroes, Vol.1.  It's on Amazon.com - A Hero Born: Volume 1 of The Condor Heroes, translated by Anna Holmwood, published by MacLehose Press.  Amazon.com lists a used hardback copy with an asking price of $1710 (already).  So as of a couple of minutes ago, I ordered a used pb copy (at a much cheaper price), shipping from the UK.  Or order it here - 

https://www.amazon.co.uk 

Book review and illustrated article here - 

http://www.dramapanda.com/2018/02/book-review-of-legend-of-condor-heroes.html

Legend of the Condor Heroes 1 A Hero Born Book Review

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 5